To Vbac or not to Vbac?

Flygal
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:07 pm 
Post subject: To Vbac or not to Vbac?
Ladies, I would like to know if any of you have attempted a Vbac? Was it good or bad? (Want to get a balanced view!)

Am pregnant with my second baby and I had an elective section first time due to baby being breech. It was quite a nice experience tbh. Very calm and civilised. I healed quickly and managed to breast feed.

I am so tempted to elect for a section again but feel that somehow maybe I should give the natural option a go? Any thoughts? Just to add I am very very petite and have also had gynae surgery which makes me more tempted to go for a section.

What do you think?

Thank you Smile
poppytops
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:27 pm 
Post subject:
I haven't had experience of VBAC, but I had an emergency section first time around which was extremely stressful. I healed nicely but the labour part was awful and they left me for such a long time despite not progress that I'm worried they will do the same this time (I'm currently 10 weeks pregnant).

At the moment I do feel that I want to try for a VBAC as the recovery isnt as long and I had trouble establishing breast feeding with my first which I don't think helped having the section. The thing I am terrified about is if they leave me again, 36 hours they left me (I progressed 1cm in that time) and even if I did progress I wouldnt of had the energy to push anyway. She was a big baby at 9lbs 6oz so they are giving me growth scans this time.

I look forward to reading responses from ladies who have had a VBAC delivery though, good luck!!xx

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm 
Post subject:
My first was breech and I had her by csection. I was like you had a good recovery. When I had my second I was adamant that I wanted another section, they did offer me one but said I could try for a vbac. We decided to try and it was great. I was monitored in hospital when I went into labour because of the internal scar.
Even though I had a good recovery from my first section, having a natural birth was even better.
I had my 3 other children as vbacs. But the choice is always yours. Very Happy

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:49 pm 
Post subject:
my sister had a vbac. her first was emcs as baby got stuck after 72 hours and became distrerssed. her vbac went really well, much quicker labour and smooth delivery. they supported her decision and was aware of her fears of a repeat difficult labour so were really good with her

xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:27 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry not had a vbac but I also had an elective section because of breach baby (and having a bicornuate uterus) but I would 110% opt for a vbac if I have more children, I'm desperate to have that experience if I can (I may not be able to birth a baby due to my strange uterus shape). But I would go for it if I were you, anything to avoid surgery although it was a good experience, it still wasn't good enough (or what I expect a natural birth to be) xx
Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:57 am 
Post subject:
I wouldn't worry too much about other womens experiences of VBAC as far as the outcome, as every birth is different even for the same woman and often the reasons for a repeat section with a VBAC are nothing whatsoever to do with the previous section Smile .
As your section wasn't for actual problems delivering then you have a very good chance of a successful VBAC, the stats are something like up to 80% success ,the c section rate for first time mums is actually higher than for mums attempting a VBAC Shocked
I know from my perspective of four natural births and then a c section for placenta preavia I was desperate to give birth naturally with number 5, unfortunately my home birth ended in a section after transfer because my baby was breech and no one noticed until I was 4-5 cms Rolling Eyes , BUT my labour was going great my baby was fine and I was even told after by another doc that if he'd been there he would have encouraged a natural birth anyway as I'd already given birth before Rolling Eyes so although I ended up with a section i'm glad I tried my VBAC and got as far as I did , so for me the labour part of it was still a positive experience Smile second VBAC try I was very supported by the docs (in a german hospital)who thought I had a good chance of a VBAC, but my waters went early , then I got an infection did go into labour but things weren't happening quickly enough and my son got distressed and ended in emergency section ,
But thats why i'm saying don't worry about other peoples outcomes because my two VBACs ended in sections through sheer bad luck which is the only reason i'm mentioning them , either of those things could have happened VBAC or not in any of my labours Question it just so happens that they happened during my VBAC's but they were in no way linked to my previous sections ,
I had 4 wonderful natural births and I wouldn't have missed out on those for the world Smile , even a calm civillised c section with a spinal and sitting up in bed a bit later holding my baby and breastfeeding (second section) doesn't compare at all to the experience of giving birth and holding my baby within seconds and feeling that huge rush of emotions and getting that skin to skin straight away and feeling on top of the world because I did it Question Which is how I was everytime after my natural births .
Natural birth might not be so calm and civilised (especially if you watch some of the birth programmes Shocked Laughing ) and yes it does hurt at the time, but there are things you can have for that, afterwards though the second your baby is born the pain is gone and you're holding your baby, with a section thats when the pain was just starting and I found that the hardest part with a baby and other children to cope with Sad
I think its easy for me to say I'd go VBAC everytime,maybe because I had good birth experiences naturally Question even now after 3 sections if I ever get pregnant I would want a VBAC Smile (some women have had them after 4 or 5 sections)
You would probably get differing points of view from women who've had different experiences though , so I suppose its down to what you feel you want to do Question
I don't think height matters, my sis and my daughter are both small 5ft 1 and about 5ft 3 and both had 9lb + babies vaginally , internal gynae surgery shouldn't be an issue either, some women have to have ops just to be able to get pregnant Question
But your doc would know more about that, for me though any c section isn't "routine" they're all major ops with risks , that are often glossed over, but you do have an increased risk of blood loss, infection (which can lead to PID), adhesions and scarring which can affect your bladder, bowel and tubes (tubal infertility is on the rise since the section rate went up Confused ) there are also some studies which seem to show a slightly increased incidence of asthma in children born by section maybe because they don't get the fluid squeezed out of their lungs during the birth , which is also a reason why even babies who aren't prem can need a little help after , my second section baby was 38 weeks but still took forever to start breathing because her lungs were "wet" (just to balance that none of my 3 section babies have developed asthma) Question
Don't want to come across as scaremongering, but I think because docs act like its nothing and its all so calm and like its just another day for them (when you have an elective I mean) that it can give the impression thats there's no risks involved at all when in reality there are Question
The current advice is to promote VBAC as a safe option for a delivery for women who've had one section and over 3/4 of women who try for one get their natural birth Smile which is pretty much the same as the stats for any woman in labour these days in fact its slightly better Smile ( a lot of hospitals have section rates of around 25 % for all deliveries and slightly higher for first timers ) xx
Poppytops second labours are often much quicker and as they will have your history plus it would be a VBAC they would keep a closer eye on you anyway Smile xx
poppytops
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:03 pm 
Post subject:
I know this isnt my thread but thanks DL05, you have certainly given me the PMA to try for a VBAC, thank you Very Happy xxx

Flygal
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you so much ladies. That is all fab info. I have decided to try for a vbac. I don't want to be induced though if I go over so it will be pretty much down to fate!

Thanks for all the info DL05.

I guess like you say all births are different and you never really know what's going to happen so ill just go with the flow!

Smile
ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:04 am 
Post subject:
I had a section with my son after 30 hours of labour - due to non progression. I will defo push for vbac next time! I really want to expeeience labour naturally and i dont want the recovery time again! Also once you have had two sections you cant go baturally - my mw toldme after two you then have to have rest via section xx

RacheynHarry
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:50 am 
Post subject:
ELP1 wrote:
I had a section with my son after 30 hours of labour - due to non progression. I will defo push for vbac next time! I really want to expeeience labour naturally and i dont want the recovery time again! Also once you have had two sections you cant go baturally - my mw toldme after two you then have to have rest via section xx

Ohh thats quite interesting hun cause I was told I had to have a VBAC if I decide to have anymore kids as I had a EMCS with my first and second was elective although he was breech the whole time anyway so would have resulted in a c-section. Maybe its different under different PCT's xx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:53 am 
Post subject:
its atrange how everywhere is different! when i was pg a few weeks a go.my mw told me i would have to have another section as it was so close to having my son and then she said after that i would not have the option of vbac as there was so much chance of reptire! i think you get told different by different cons at the same hospital so different areas are bound to be different xxx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 am 
Post subject:
ELP comments like the one that midwife made really anger me , there's no evidence that a well healed c section scar is at any more chance of a rupture after 2 sections than after one Shocked
The uterine rupture risk is tiny really compared to other labour risks and yet its still the number one "blackmail " technique used to get women to consent to repeat sections Rolling Eyes they also still throw the one about more than 3 sections being a major problem out there to bully women into being sterilised Mad when as long as you haven't had any previous complications there's no major increased risk from having more than 3 sections done with a low horizontal incision Question
The uterus is an incredibly strong muscle and generally heals very well after surgery , if there are any problems at all it tends to be the skin and over lying abdominal muscles and fascia that cause issues with adhesions etc.
I've laboured after 1 section and after 2 sections and didn't have any signs of uterine rupture , in fact my labour after 2 sections was very well supported by the docs at the german hospital who didn't seem to think it was an issue at all Question
I've also watched birth videos of women having natural births after 2,3,4 and even 5 c sections , many of them had doctors tell them they couldn't give birth naturally after their first sections Rolling Eyes It's true there is a lot of conflicting info out there, the consultant who did my first section for placenta preavia said if I ever had another I could have a natural delivery no problems, then when I did get pregnant again I saw someone else who tried to book me in for a section at my 12 week app and was all doom and gloom Shocked Confused
In the end I was pushed into a section for breech and then had the german docs tell me when I was pregnant again that they thought that one was totally unnecessary (which I agree with )
Trouble is its often just one doctors personal opinion you get rather than a balanced overview of the actual statistics and facts Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular