Premature babies - when do they not need help?

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:20 pm 
Post subject: Premature babies - when do they not need help?
At what gestation would a baby not need medical intervention after birth?

I keep having nightmares that my baby is born early and she is taken away from me before I can look at her and she is put into an incubator where I am not allowed to breastfeed her (only express)

Its really upsetting me as my biggest fear is not being able to directly breastfeed her. I just feel that breastfeeding is what helped me bond with Ava so feel its essential and the fear of not being able to is horrendous.

I keep getting really bad braxton hicks too which is why I am worried she will come early. Its probably just irrational fear but I need to know the gestational age where she wouldnt need an incubator and where I could feed her myself.

Ava was born 3 weeks early too so this is another reason for my fear as I have heard second babies can come earlier.. whether its true I'm not sure.. Question xx

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:22 pm 
Post subject:
I don't know the answer sorry, but I also have the same worry. My phone app said lungs are developed a few weeks ago, so took that as a good sign. I remember Kim Marsh's baby being premature and not surviving, but I can't remember how far she was Confused

xx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:43 am 
Post subject:
I think all expectant mums have that worry but unfortunately it just happens and usually because for some reason the baby would be worse off in the womb.

It's hard to say when a baby wouldn't need medical intervention cos all babies are different. Prob at 35 weeks is when there would be a lot less chance of needing to go to scbu but that isn't a certainty.

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:46 am 
Post subject:
I had a meeting with the baby doctors last week and some babies can be born at 34 weeks and need no help others born at full term and still need help it depends on the baby not the age x
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:34 pm 
Post subject:
Poppy was 35 weeks and was in SCBU for a week, but that was because she had stopped growing a few weeks earlier because I was poorly, so had to be looked after to ensure she was able to gain weight and was healthy (she was a small prem). They managed to give me several shots of steriods before the EMCS to help her lungs form quicker and she was born with a cry.

Evie has a friend born at 26 weeks (again from severe pre-eclampsia) was in SCBU for 3 months but was breastfed. He is now nearly 2 and a cracking little lad. If a baby was born early and as a mum you are well enough and able to, they support you to breastfeed your child, no matter what.

Please try not to worry, hosptials will look after mums to try to keep baby inside you as long as possible, and will only induce / section if the baby or mum is in danger

xx

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:16 pm 
Post subject:
If she was born early would they let me feed her directly from me or would I have to express? xx

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:22 pm 
Post subject:
It depends on how early and if she has developed the sucking ability ive got to express for mine when there born but the staff know what there doing and will help to make sure you can breastfeed when shes ready. If shes born early x
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 pm 
Post subject:
XxAvasmummyxX wrote:
If she was born early would they let me feed her directly from me or would I have to express? xx

It depends how early she's born as the ability to suck needs to be there.
My two were born at 31 weeks and weren't able to take a feed through sucking until they were 3 weeks old but unless you have been told otherwise I don't think you should worry about going early 3 weeks (as you said your daughter was) isn't actually counted as premature and all pregnancies are different. You could go late this time!

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:59 pm 
Post subject:
In scbu at my hospital the prem mums were encouraged to bf from what I saw but those weren't the babies that were so early that they were on hdu. As for second babies coming earlier Shannah was 3 days early and I was overdue with my others.

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:01 pm 
Post subject:
Yeh I know, this is true. Im just so worried as Ive had nightmares for the last few weeks. At first they didnt bother me but they have been getting more and more detailed. Plus my braxton hicks have been getting worse too. Havent actually mentioned any of this to the midwife, I have a consultant appointment next week so might just ask if the painful contractions are anything to worry about xx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 pm 
Post subject:
dellabobella wrote:
In scbu at my hospital the prem mums were encouraged to bf from what I saw but those weren't the babies that were so early that they were on hdu. As for second babies coming earlier Shannah was 3 days early and I was overdue with my others.

When they are very premature they still encourage you to express. They had a room in our scbu to go and express too x

Weasleywannabe
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
Hello,
I do not know much about premature babies as my son was born at 42+1 and weighed 8Ib 11oz but I may be able to offer a little reassurance with regard to some of your worries.

As I have said many times before on here my boy spent the first few months of his life in PICU. I had to express during this time to keep up my supply. I was not really able to provide much care other than cleaning around the ventilator tubing and talking to him.

However, once he got his NG tube out he was exclusively breastfed and he has never had a bottle.

Only a few weeks after he came home both our GP and HV commented that there were no issues with bonding and he was displaying lots of age appropriate signs of attachment.

So, although it is unlikely that your little girl will have any problems, even if she does it does not mean you will not be able to breastfeed or that you will have any problems with bonding.

I really hope your midwife can offer some reassurance and your bad dreams stop very soon.

Thank you
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:09 pm 
Post subject:
Shannah was only in the high dependency bit for two days and it was all a bit of a blur for me with the shock of finding out she had DS so I only saw the older and less at risk babies and mums. Looking back now I can't believe how much I was away from her those first few weeks. They actually took her away from me in the labour ward after I feel asleep. I woke up and she was gone!

My nightmare during my pregnancies has been having a c-section. Sorry if that offends anybody but I just really wanted to give birth naturally with mine if possible. I used to have vivid dreams about it all the time and feel quite upset so I'd say having worries is perfectly natural.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 am 
Post subject:
It depends as someone else said, a good birth weight can help and bigger babies born earlier will often do better than tiny babies born later, but the sucking reflex varies, my last was born at 33 weeks, I had an emergency section but the nurse said he screamed at birth and his lungs worked from the start Smile(I'd had steroids) he had good agpar scores but due to having an infection I couldn't take him out of the incubator for the first week (he was on intravenous antibiotics ) he was tube fed my breastmilk and as soon as I could hold him he latched on straight away , he was also bottle fed breast milk when i wasn't there and was fine doing either , but he was very big for dates at 5lbs 12 oz Shocked and 33 weeks , some of the tiny bird babies (as me and the OH called them) were breastfed as well though , there were a couple who were half his size in the same room who could both feed, they were born at 28 and 29 weeks at around 2 1/2 lbs(I nosied at the tags on their incubators Embarassed ) but were doing really well Smile
I was told if my son hadn't had the infection then he might have just needed a cot warmer not an incubator as he only had oxygen piped in to help as he had resp distress from the infection, he never needed cpap or a ventilator Smile If he hadn't had the infection he might have just gone to the scbu for obs for 24hrs and then come back to me Question
My FIL and his wife had twin girls at about 34-35 weeks and they were around 4lbs but stayed with her in heated cots and went home after about five days ,
Even at 33 weeks my son was only in 2 weeks Smile
My second was earlier, but my first was 12 days late Rolling Eyes so anything would have been earlier really Laughing but they didn't really follow a set pattern, number 3 was later than 2, number 4 was later still , 5 was a section at 37 weeks and six was spontaneous at 38 and 7 was spontaneous at 33 Question what I remeber though was my last I had the least braxton hicks Question with 3,5 and 6 I had an irritable uterus and had horrendous bouts of painful BH's for months and none of them were particularly early, with my youngest I had no signs to warn me until I lost some plug and then my waters went Question
I don't think there's any link between how painful or frequent BH's are and early birth as long as they are BH's and not contractions, BH's don't make the cervix dilate xxx
thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm 
Post subject:
my youngest was full term but was taken to scbu but I was able to breastfeed him whenever he needed it, even though he had monitors and drips attached etc x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular