Any midwives in?

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:52 pm 
Post subject: Any midwives in?
I had a consultant appt today and was told baby is breech.. she didnt really feel my tummy but..

1. I am sure they move freely at this stage
2. she got my age wrong on my notes so dont really think she competent Confused
3. the heart beat was heard very low down (few inches from my pubic bone)

I dunno she just seemed like an idiot.
Anyway when she was listening to baby on doppler she found the heart beat quite low down.. surely this means baby is head down.. although I'm aware they can move at this stage. I'm just curious to know if the consultant was a complete idiot.

So far this hospital I've been at are complete idiots and dont seem to treat the patients well at all, I have heard a few bad things about it tbh.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
Could you maybe ask to see your mw and see what her opinion is?

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:19 pm 
Post subject:
I wont be seeing her until 28 weeks and I didnt want to call her over something so small as other women might have emergencies Embarassed

I've always been like that.. I never seek medical help until i really neeeed to Laughing

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't worry, Lola was breach until last minute then moved again even later!! Xx
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:10 pm 
Post subject:
I was just alarmed because she started going on about c-sections etc.. and that was exactly my thought, that she can still turn. I said regardless if she was breech I would have a natural birth and she claimed this was dangerous.. im not so sure as I know about 3 girls who have given birth to breech babies Confused

Ah well, might just forget everything she said as she seemed a bit daft Laughing
I'm sure midwife will be able to give me a better idea of what is normal and safe etc

Thanks ladies xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:17 am 
Post subject:
I had my section for a number of reasons but if they were presented to me on their own such as Lola just being breach I would definitely have had her naturally. But my placenta was 0.5mm too close and I have a bicornuate uterus, etc, etc
There's way too much medicalisation of birth these days its nasty and I'm not one of those let's do it all at home, no pain relief or whatever, I just think going straight to a section because a baby is the "wrong way" is soo silly!
I wouldn't even let them turn Lola as I find that too much!
She'll turn plenty before you give birth but if you do find yourself in that situation I hope you demand a natural. The only reason they don't allow it is because it deviates from the "norm" which midwives deliver, so a doctor would need to be present however an independent midwife or a foreign midwife would know exactly what to do!!
If you wanted to talk to an independent midwife to reassure you (you don't have to have them for the birth also) let me know and I'll dig out the website for the midwife I have workshops with xx
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:12 am 
Post subject:
See I am one of these women that believe in an anamalistic birth. I like things to be as natural as possible and I agree they push women into having certain births for their own statistics and regulations. I know a woman who had a c-section just because her baby was breech and she was scared of the pain being worse lol think its silly but each to their own just like people might think im silly for wanting a natural home birth. I guess its what is right for that person.

The consultant has told me because I had a pph I have to have a hospital birth.. well thats not going to happen. The only time I would have a hospital birth is if baby was in danger. I have to say though im not someone that doesnt believe in any medical help.. just only when its needed/necessary. I hate this country and its nanny state with red tap and regulations Mad Laughing xx

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:25 pm 
Post subject:
Have you looked at different sorts of breech did they tell you what her presenting part is because that would make a difference to having a natural birth. Also is your midwife happy for you to have a home birth or would you have an unassisted birth?? X
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:15 pm 
Post subject:
I was told shes bum down. My little sister was born at home this way but she was tiny (just 5lbs) so perhaps its different if the baby is bigger. And I was told I wasnt allowed a home birth with Ava due to my dilated kidney and utis but midwifes have to assist a woman in her decision by law. I would never have an unassisted birth as if something did happen there is nobody there to help me. Without a midwife present at avas birth I might be dead as she managed to give me an injection, massage my belly and get me to hospital when I suffered a pph, but I spoke to the midwife team leader midwife this afternoon explaining that they got the pph under control, I explained what the consultant said and the midwife said she was happy to assist me in my decision and she even said theres nothing more they could do to save my life at hospital anyway if I did have a pph again. xx

Last edited by XxAvasmummyxX on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:20 pm 
Post subject:
I know they have to assist you by law but i was just wondering if you would choose a unassist birth if they didnt fully support you. There is loads of birth storys on the internet about home breech births but its not for me xxx
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:23 pm 
Post subject:
No I dont think i could have an unassisted birth. Home births arent for everyone but I have an irrational fear of hospitals for some reason.. not visiting them but the thought of being stuck in one not being able to see family 24/7 freaks me out lol xxx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 am 
Post subject:
There are some lovely videos of breech births on the internet, many of them at home , I was forced to go to hospital when I was having my home birth and they discovered my DD was breech , they actually rang the ambulance without telling me they were doing it and then made such a drama of everything I felt forced into it, this carried ion at the hospital were I was bullied into a section Sad
I knew nothing about breech babies at the time though , if I had known she was breech (and the day I went into labour I had a midwife visit and the heartbeat was very high so that should have given them a clue Rolling Eyes ) and had time to do some research I think I would still have had my home birth, many other countries just see it as a different but still normal presentation Question All animals can give birth to babies either forward facing or backward facing and in an animal birth were the baby is backwards they come out feet first ,which docs have a fit about in the UK, if you're suspected of having a footling breech then they try and whip you down to theatre asap Rolling Eyes
I've seen vids of footling breech home births where the midwife did nothing except watch and the babies just came out in their own time with no assistance Smile
Its only since a certain medical trial was published (the term breech trial)that the UK has become so anti breech birth, and that trials been pretty much discredited as not worth the paper its written on Rolling Eyes but its still used as a stick to beat women with when they want a natural birth Confused , and midwives see so few now that they often don't know the best way to handle them , which seems to be pretty much keep your hands off, encourage the mum onto all fours and let her get on with it Laughing
To be honest though if the hearbeat was very low I suspect your baby isn't even breech,midwives tend to be better at feeling where babies are Smile at this point babies can be in any position, but if she does seem to like being breech then I'd get into the habit of doing positioning techniques for a few minutes everyday and try and avoid too much sitting back with your hips raised as that encourages babies to be breech (I found out later that my SPD and the way I sat because of it was probably why my DD had been breech possibly since about 28 weeks )
A well handled breech birth can be perfectly safe though and at the end of the day its your choice x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular