Advice please -

XxSunshineMummyXx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:52 pm 
Post subject: Advice please -
Heya, I haven't been on here for a while, but need advice.

I have Hypothyroidism and have irregular periods, which also means it's difficult to conceive. I have decided I want another baby, but I am gutted thinking I won't conceive. Firstly I wanted to announce I'm officially ttc. I took a test yesterday as I haven't had a period in two months. Longest i've gone is about five weeks before now. Before I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, I had one shot of the depo-injection last August, could that have anything to do with the lack of my period this time? The pregnancy test was a pounland one. The instructions aren't clear so I didn't know how long to leave it in the urine, the urine stopped going across halfway across the window, so I put it back in . Would this have affected the test? Should I take another? And should I use a more expensive test? Thoughts please xxxx

poppytops
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun Wink Number 4 eh, I thought you're three were keeping you on your toes Laughing I don't know about the hypothyroidism so I can't comment on that I'm afraid, have you spoken to your GP about your meds and TTC? I know you tend to be clued up about these things anyway, but thought I would ask...

When I can off the depo injection it took a long time for my cycles to become remotely regular (although they never did and polycystic ovaries was confirmed from an scan I had last year).

In reference to the test, I used an Ebay cheapie which confirmed my pregnancy at 3 weeks 5 days (according to my own dates that is) and I dont think a 'double dunk' would have effected it. Although, I know alot of people only rely on FRER's etc. Tesco own are good as well you get a pack of 2 for under £4 I think Very Happy

All the best with it hun xxxx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:30 am 
Post subject:
Don't know about the Hypothyroidism or the injection as when I had it it didn't affect my periods at all, but my DD has used the super cheap pound store tests when she's been pregnant and they worked for her, she doesn't test until she's late though Question
I have redunked a test when its not picked up enough urine and then its worked fine, of course I've only ever had BFN's Rolling Eyes Laughing But I know some women get BFP's on one brand but not on another even from the same sample, so if you feel like you are another test can't hurt Question
Asda also do own brand ones for about £3:50 for 2 the same sensitivity as FRER and I've never had any problems with those , they background always clears and they never get dodgy lines Smile x
XxSunshineMummyXx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:16 pm 
Post subject:
Well I wouldn't necessarily say I'm "trying", just not preventing. Put it this way, bar the month I had the injection. I haven't really used anything and the Doctor has already said I don't have to worry about protection. I'm also at a higher risk of miscarriage so all things combined, that's why. Xxx

XxSunshineMummyXx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:18 pm 
Post subject:
I have no idea when my last period was - around two months ago, so I don't know when to test, of course I could have conceived fourteen days before my late period but I doubt it.xxx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:41 pm 
Post subject:
Read this link
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism-and-infertility/AN01436

Not sure about the depo but i would have thought it is out of your system by now. Don't forget PCOS can show up at any point too so if your irregular periods continue it may be worth looking into too. I really don't feel you are too irregular either although certainly not the normal for you so something is definitely going on. As for the doctor saying don't worry about protection is very odd as my SIL has just had a baby abd she has has hypothyroidism since a child but hers was stable with the medication. It took her 4 months to conceive.
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:19 pm 
Post subject:
There is no guarantee what I'm having is actually my periods as it can be spaced anyway from two weeks between bleeding, to two months which is now the longest, and I've bleed for two weeks to up to six weeks at a time, and I generally get ovulation pain so not sure I'm even ovulating. Because of the pain and irregular bleeding, I had a scan a couple of weeks ago, but my Ovaries looked normal. I know I wasn't, if there's even a chance anyway, pregnant then, or was too early to see anything as I assume it would have been noticed. I am seeing the GP again at 3.30pm. The Doctor said that because of the gradual but worsening symptoms, and as I said, ii've not really used aanything since immi, when I conceived first time with the others. Purely because I know it will be hard to conceive xxx

XxSunshineMummyXx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:09 pm 
Post subject: Update
Well just as I was leaving for the Doctors, I started to bleed. Which is no surprise, because i've had pain around my Ovaries again. It's very light but again, with my periods being as they are. I'm not surprised.
My Thyroid is being retested, and I am having a full blood count due to swollen lymph nodes for a while now.
At least I am getting closer to a healthier me, and I can now monitor my cycles.
Thank you for the responses. Xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular