Liver.. is it really that bad?

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:59 am 
Post subject: Liver.. is it really that bad?
Ok I keep craving liver but ALL health care professionals tell pregnant women to stay away. Surely its not that bad to have it once in a while. When I think about it our grannies must have eaten liver all the time in the olden days (as there were no regulations) and all our parents are fine. Has anyone eaten things they shouldnt have and everything been ok. I ate pate at the very end with aav and she was fine Question I also ate runny eggs all the time too. xx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:06 pm 
Post subject:
The reason you shouldn't eat liver is because it contains high levels of vitamin A which can cause birth defects. So yes I would steer clear of that.

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:25 pm 
Post subject:
OMG they never told me that! I just ate it freely in the end with ava as i craved it all the time with her too. I ate it all the time whilst ttc with this one too.. well havnt touched any since 4 weeks and all is well so far but I shall steer clear! Thank you xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 am 
Post subject:
You'd have to eat a crazy amount of liver to cause birth defects from it,like a couple of portions a day everyday Shocked also its more in the first 12 weeks , when I was pregnant years ago they used to tell you to eat liver as its a good source of iron , I did eat it in at least 5 of my 7 pregnancies as i'm prone to aneamia, not all the time but occasionally and had no ill effects and it did help keep my iron up Question
With my last two they said not to eat it and with both I was very anaemic towards the end and on high dose iron tablets Rolling Eyes
I think they've just gone a bit crazy with the warnings now to be honest as the UK tells pregnant women to avoid eating and drinking all sorts of stuff that people in Europe eat and drink with no ill effects Question
XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 am 
Post subject:
Yeh I read that theres no definitive proof and tbf I did eat it unti 4/5 weeks with this one and she seems fine. I also ate pate on toast every morning from 30 weeks with ava as my cravings were really distressing not to fulfill. I eat runny eggs and they say not to with those either.

I'm so glad someone has said they ate it with no problems as my nan also said she ate liver and bacon casserole every so often to keep her iron up and my mum and aunt are fine. I may hold off until 30 weeks again and eat it every so often as my body is clearly craving it for a reason. I personally dont want to take iron pills, they make me ill and really constipated Laughing Embarassed xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 am 
Post subject:
Me too, they either make me feel sick or bung me up Rolling Eyes Laughing I ate pate too as that's another thing they never used to bother about and runny eggs, I only buy free range vaccinated against salmonella eggs though anyway .
I think some types of liver have more vit A, I only like lambs liver , I think cows liver has the highest amount and chicken livers the least and lambs is somewhere in the middle Smile
XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 am 
Post subject:
I always use lambs liver when it comes to casserole. Its so yummy! And obviously pork liver is in pate.. well the one i always have does. Do they tell you to take the same precautions whilst breastfeeding too?

I'm sure the body disposes of all vitamins via urine anyway. The reason you cant take tablet vits is because the body cant excrete them in the same way Question xx

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:14 am 
Post subject:
im sure soon we will only be allowed to eat veg n drink water because all other things will cause some sort of issues. i havnt eaten anything i shouldnt or drunk alcohol or anything this pregnancy and still one twin had issues so you cant win!! xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular