Low sperm count

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:53 am 
Post subject: Low sperm count
After talking recently with my boyfriend about having kids, he dropped the bombshell last night that he has a low sperm count!

Its been some years since he was tested, but he said he had 3 tests and all were low. I dont know the exact levels, and doubt he still has the paperwork. He did say that the doctor had told him that diet can help improve things so im hoping (clutching at straws really) that it wasnt that bad?

I hadnt wanted kids for another couple of years yet, but knowing that we could be facing difficulties it has made me re consider. I mentioned IVF but he said that he didnt want to go down that route.

So any advice please. I know timing will be important, but I have pretty regular cycles, and am quite in tune with my body to know when im ovulating.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:06 am 
Post subject:
I'd suggest he goes back to his GP and gets retested , as it could have been a lifestyle problem at the time and sperm counts and results in general can change over time .
At least that way you'll know if there is a problem and if its worth starting trying sooner rather than later .
A few things are good for sperm, Zinc, Selenium , omega 3 (fish oils) folic acid , B12, vits C and E and amino acids, a lot of the mens conception vits will have these in and most supermarkets do their own brand .
These vits and minerals are more for healthy sperm rather than counts but it all helps ,no point having lots if they're rubbish quality Laughing
I've got the OH on something called tribulus terrestis as well which is supposed to help sperm count and motility and also help get rid of sperm anti bodies in men and women .
Then there's all the obvious like stopping smoking (if he does) drinking less alcohol or even stopping , avoiding caffeine , not wearing too tight trousers/underwear and avoiding overheating and trying to get some regular exercise etc.
There are more important things though with the SA than just the count , as often only around 20 sperm get as far as the tube anyway and only one or two reach the egg out of all those millions , as long as they're normal in shape and can swim straight then having less than the "average" man might not make as much difference as you'd think Smile
Just a thought as well, but when my OH had his we were told no sex for 3 days beforehand, now I know a couple of Ladies on here whose OH's weren't told that and so their counts came back low because they'd recently had sex , maybe that could be a factor too Question x
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:41 am 
Post subject:
Will he be able to get tested even though we arent 'trying?'

He doesnt smoke (never has done), and doesnt wear underwear (as he hates feeling restricted Embarassed ) but he does drink, and diet isnt the best at times.

He has got himself to the point where it never happened before, and he knows he has a problem so is convinced its never going to work. So I want to just try and gently convince him that we have a chance.

He hasnt got the highest of sex drives, and generally doesnt make the first move, so it could easily have been a timing issue before. Whereas I do have a high sex drive, and we have quite a good sex life, so maybe it just needs to be at the right time.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14 am 
Post subject:
What I'd do is probably fib and tell the doc you've been trying for a while Question , really as he's had a low count before a decent GP would suggest getting it done at the outset so you're not wasting time , I had bloods done and my OH had his SA before my reversal so we knew where we stood , but if he's got a bit of a useless GP then I'd just say you've been together for a while and been trying for a year with no luck , failing that he could always have one done privately , they're not massively expensive, about £65 upwards I think depending on your area Question Some NHS hospitals even do tests privately and can be cheaper than private hospitals his GP should know if that's an option .
It could well have been a timing issue if his sex drive isn't high as they'll only survive 7 days after sex in optimal conditions with good quality sperm , its probably closer to the 3 day mark for most men so if he's more of a once a week man it would be easy to miss ov , I'd recommend the tribulus for that as well, its supposed to help with libido for men and women and its definitely having some effect on my OH Laughing
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the information Nat. I will try and talk him into getting re tested, but like most men I will need to make him think it was his idea to go! Laughing

I dont think he would complain about regular sex, its just a case of if he is not being offered it, he isnt bothered.

I just need to try and convince him its not a lost cause, as he has already got it in his head he cant have kids. Its a shame really as he is so good with Sam, and he would make a fantastic dad.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 am 
Post subject:
Men are such babies about SA's aren't they Rolling Eyes yeah its a bit embarrassing but not as bad as a smear or giving birth Shocked Laughing
It's amazing what they can do these days with men who don't have any sperm in their ejaculate with surgical sperm retrieval, and with IVF and ICSI they only need one sperm per egg so low counts don't matter for that either, but if his doc thought it could be improved last time chances are it wasn't very low anyway Smile
Hopefully he'll go and find out just what the problem was, you never know you may even get a surprise in the meantime if you decide to try Smile x
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:25 pm 
Post subject:
Well we talked about it again and he said 'well they didnt say I couldnt have kids, just that I would need to change things for a better chance'

But he doest want to do that. Stubborn springs to mind!

Knowing my luck if we decided to stop using contraception and see what happens I would get pregnant straight away, but if we waited then we would have problems! Rolling Eyes

He is really stressed with work at the moment, but we are going away next weekend so I will try and talk to him then properly. Maybe we can just see what happens for 12 months, then re evaluate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular