juice in the cot at night!

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:10 pm 
Post subject: juice in the cot at night!
My daughter is a big drinker naturally but since being in hospital a few weeks ago she's drinking like its going out of fashion!
Her nappies are constantly drenched as is she. But i was wondering if anyone else put a bottle of drink in the cot for night time?
I started giving Lola juice when she was poorly as she wouldn't drink water (hence the hospitalisation for dehydration) so i began to give her juice.
I give her a bottle of juice to drink during the night which she finishes within a short time and i often have to refill it in the early hours, ive tried water to see if its just because she likes the taste of the juice but she woke screaming because there was no juice.
I have such a particular child haha
Anyway does anyone else need to do this for their child? Lola has just turned one and has refused milk since 9 months!
xx
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry I may sound awfull but neither of mine are allowed milk or juice in bed at night. Archie has been in hospital numerous times and has drinks then through the night as trying to prevent dehydration or keep blood sugars up, but once well and back home he hassupper and a drink then back to normal sleeping without a drink. Dont get me wrong if he had a bad cough and needed a drink I would pet him have some sips of juice/water but I wouldn't leave a bottle in his bed or allow him wake up for drinks. Xx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:35 pm 
Post subject:
I'm same as Jennifer, I do not allow juice in bed. The only time I did let them keep a little sippy cup next to their beds was a couple weeks ago when they had really bad coughs but they tended to not want to drink it til they woke up in the morning. When they were in their cots though, there was no chance I would give them a drink in their bed as I knew they would just spill it everywhere. If they needed a drink (which isn't common) I would get up and give them one and then take it away again.

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:35 pm 
Post subject:
You see if i didn't put a drink in her cot, she wouldn't sleep!
I understand what you mean, it could make for bad habits but she just always wants a drink, even throughout the day shes constantly attached to it.
Her grandma had to put 4+ bottles a night in her dads cot when he was little as he was the same, im guessing she gets it from him :/
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:44 pm 
Post subject:
My two have sippy cups of water in their beds but rarely drink from them. They only drink water and the odd cup of milk in the day anyway. Neither have juice or squash.

How about diluting the juice more and more each night to get her onto water which she might not be so keen to drink? x

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:48 pm 
Post subject:
its only very very weak anyway, its literally just coloured!
I just worried as i heard it can be a sign of an illness, no idea what!
I did mention it to her doctor but they weren't too concerned, not that i trust her doctor after she almost lost her life through their shabby diagnosis!
I'm not too bothered that she drinks throughout the night really its more that i wondered if it was of the norm! haha
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:53 pm 
Post subject:
My son doesnt have a drink in bed either but he never has since he stopped his night feeds of milk at a few months old. Is it possible she is filling up on juice instead of food. My nephew used to drink tonnes of milk and water and hardly ate at all, his mum put her foot down and stopped giving him so much liquids and offered food a lot more during the day, within a week he was eating a normal amount and drinking a normal amount too xxx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:59 pm 
Post subject:
haha i wish it was that simple Sad
It may have been at first as she wasn't eating since we had the meningitis scare but for the past 2 weeks or more she doesn't stop eating, in fact she possibly eats too much!
She is a big girl for her age, not chubby but big boned, shes just a big build like i was, and shes very tall like her dad, i wonder if this means she may need vitamin supplements?
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 pm 
Post subject:
Ive just thought actually, normally they would still be filling up on milk as well as meals, i'll try weetabix with milk before bed and see if that fulfills the role that the milk she should be having would!
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 pm 
Post subject:
I like to have a drink beside my bed, being thirsty and not having a drink must be a horrible feeling, so if she naturally drinks a lot I would keep letting her. maybe stress to your DR how much she is drinking and double check there isnt a reason for it. But I dont think you should try and stop her doing it, I think it would just lead to her being thirsty, awake, tired and frustrated which wouldnt be good for you or her.

[/url]
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 pm 
Post subject:
hayley2903 wrote:
its only very very weak anyway, its literally just coloured!
I just worried as i heard it can be a sign of an illness, no idea what!
I did mention it to her doctor but they weren't too concerned, not that i trust her doctor after she almost lost her life through their shabby diagnosis!
I'm not too bothered that she drinks throughout the night really its more that i wondered if it was of the norm! haha

With regards to how normal it is, I think its one of those things where you are or you aren't. I'm not a big drinker. I can go all day without any liquids. I've seen me getting to this time at night and realising I haven't drank all day and then having to go and get a glass of juice so I don't dehydrate LOL my mum's the same as me. But my OH, he drinks sooo much. At least 4 litres of juice he could go through himself. The boys are a bit like him, they do drink a lot during the day. Its just at night they don't bother. If your LO is used to having juice during the night she will want it and feel the need for it more. So I wouldn't worry about how normal it is but it should be possible to "wean" her off it during the night x

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 pm 
Post subject:
I'm the same!
I like it being there but don't usually drink it yet when there isn't one i wake in the night desperate for a drink haha
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 pm 
Post subject:
If she is eating a normal amount then thats great, my nephew wasnt thats why his mum put her foot down. I would try and wean her down a bit though as I imagine when the time comes to keep her out of nappies in bed in a few years it will be hard if shes still drinking a lot. X

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:24 pm 
Post subject:
I know i'm dreading this haha! Just today i had to strip her down in Boots and change all of her clothes, i need to wash her pram and everything now!
Its a shame really because her nappy rash isn't enjoying this habit either
thanks ladies xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular