For those that got married in a Church

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:26 pm 
Post subject: For those that got married in a Church
Can you remember what your costs were, as ours seem extorniate and seriously considering pulling the church idea as within my reception venue package I get the option of having the ceremony there and just paying registrar.

heres the breakdown from the church:-

£392 for hire of church/vicar
£20 per verger
£21 Reading of Baans
£60 Hire of car parking (they don't have their own but there is a pub next door (which apparanetly you shouldn't use altho we did when we got our sone christened there)
£20 Church cleaning before and after
£50 2 people to oversee parking (school car park so have to have this if u use car park)
£50 - Heating
£120 - Church organist
£50 - VIdeoing service (Per camera including hand helds)
£20 - PLaying CD's
£180 - Bell ringers
£100 - Church Choir
£50 - Suggested minimum voluntary donation

I was expectiing some of these costs but jeeesh how expensive.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:00 pm 
Post subject:
Omg seriously?! I can't comment on other churches but that seems like a total con! Right enough that's what churches do best Wink
I wouldn't pay all that. Much rather get married in a registry office and put the money towards the reception or a honeymoon!

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:17 pm 
Post subject:
jennaxhx wrote:
Omg seriously?! I can't comment on other churches but that seems like a total con! Right enough that's what churches do best Wink
I wouldn't pay all that. Much rather get married in a registry office and put the money towards the reception or a honeymoon!

yeah I know shock or what. I've just googled it and endd up on Church of England website, apparantly these are all normal costs as long as it doesn't go over their maximum.

Still torn what to do - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr specially as registrar is only 350, picking the bare minimum of that list is like £600 and something

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:22 pm 
Post subject:
Well I suppose it depends on how badly you want to get married in a church. Are you religious?

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 pm 
Post subject:
jennaxhx wrote:
Well I suppose it depends on how badly you want to get married in a church. Are you religious?

Not overly, I'm sorta one foot in the door lol. My son was christened there, the vicar is amazing (bit like vicar of dibbly lmao), it sort of helps to know that its not the church thats trying to make a quick buck knowing all churches charge roughly the same.

StaceyRD
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:23 pm 
Post subject:
That is a lot! We're getting married TOMORROW!! Our church cost £406, banns £34, orders of services £30 for 50, Organist £100 and 2 vergers £34. We're sending people to parking at a centre where you're allowed to park on week days but not weekends - so parking would have been a lot harder had we chosen the weekend. So for us Church costs £570 plus extra banns because we live in a different area than the church now. Our vergers will do the cleaning up after, the vicar will mention donations as the service goes on xx

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:50 pm 
Post subject:
Hmmm... church with vicar was about £350, Heating was £50 and bells was £90. Oh and banns £35 if I remember rightly. We had ours at Easter so we used the Easter colours and flowers. The vicar was my old youth leader which made it extra personal to me.

Yours sounds a lot...

xx

PS good luck stacey xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:33 pm 
Post subject:
All that and they want a set donation as well Shocked I'm glad I didn't get married in church now , if you're not religious I'd just go for the wedding at the venue, I was married by a registrar and you can still choose your vows or write your own and have it be a special ceremony Smile
x
dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:35 pm 
Post subject:
They want to charge you £50 per camera as in your own cameras or have I misread that?

izzysmummy
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:45 pm 
Post subject:
We got married in August last year and costs were £300 for hire of church and vicar, £100 for organ and £100 for bells, so everything was £500.

We didn't have to pay for cleaning or flowers or anything like that as that was all included.

I think what you were quoted is very expensive!
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
izzysmummy wrote:
We got married in August last year and costs were £300 for hire of church and vicar, £100 for organ and £100 for bells, so everything was £500.

We didn't have to pay for cleaning or flowers or anything like that as that was all included.

I think what you were quoted is very expensive!

yes as in in cameras used, I presume that also means phones!!! We are not having it video'd anyway but who is to say if someone tries doing it on their phone!

According to church of england website, everything extra is chargable, of course it would still be down to the indivdual church. I did wonder why such a gorgeous church has so few weddings, I know now Embarassed

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:00 pm 
Post subject:
That seems loads. Think ours was £350, that included the church, vicar and banns. There were no extra costs for heating, parking, cleaning or organist.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:01 pm 
Post subject:
They are wanting £50 off you just for the privilege to use your own camera (or a professionals) in their church?! That is ridiculous!

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 pm 
Post subject:
jennaxhx wrote:
They are wanting £50 off you just for the privilege to use your own camera (or a professionals) in their church?! That is ridiculous!

It's a common charge inside a CofE church... well video cameras anyway, cos they require some kind of licence?! It's been 4 years since I got married but I am sure that's what i was told. Confused

xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14 pm 
Post subject:
You could try ditching some bits haha.
Like my church gives the option for heating, etc? I mean if its a nice day I hope you don't pay for it!!

I'd always wanted to get married in a church . . . Until my daughters christening on sunday. 2 hours we were in that church, Lola was screaming by the time she was christened, she was starving and tired. Xx
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular