? Discipline 3&3/4

donzy
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:48 pm 
Post subject: ? Discipline 3&3/4
Harry is 4 in July, at the moment his behaviour is becoming shocking! This morning he slapped me in the face, I slapped his leg which i feel really bad about but I reacted in anger. Im not proud of it but Im at a stage where sitting on the naughty step isnt working reward charts not working and he isnt listening to a word I say or anyone else.

What do you use to discipline your little ones?
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
my eldest is two, and sometimes he shocks me with his behaviour. my husband is best had displine cus im jst too soft. however i find for bed wrks. thers no toys in the room n goin to bed wen it isnt time, he finds upsettin so he knows he done wrong (he doesnt nap in his room in the day). another thing that wrks for me is taking his comforts away or toys.

however i know the only times, he is like it are four reasons----

1) lack of fresh open air to burn of energy
2) bordem
3) tiredness
4) fustration- often due to not understanding why (so now i always explain why and that its ok to b upset but its not ok to hit)

i also try and get him to express his angrer more positively thru words or running fast on the spot, or counting. most effective is to strt singing really loud an action nursery rhyme. (this distracts him from being angry and gives me focus to de stress)

sorry i cnt b more help, its all i got
donzy
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you that is a help. Will try the bedroom x
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:09 am 
Post subject: all kids are different
Some kids just need a good butt whooping. But then you've got those ones that it diesnt work for. So the corner is good. But I don't think u should feel bad for popping him unless you left a bruise or he's bleeding. I pop my kid when needed And as bad as we feel because momss never want to hurt their babies its how they learn. A good talk to follow that after u send him to his room so u both can calm down is great. I always tell my son if I have to pop him why I did it and that I'm ary I hurt him but he shouldn't have been mean too me. They understand. More than u think. If u don't teach him not to hurt ppl then when he gets in school someone else will. Sometimes a good poppin is a good lesson.
lillien
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:36 pm 
Post subject:
I don't agree with u giving ure kid a gd butt whooping u r just teaching ure kid its ok to hit people becas sure as helll he or she will turn around when someon gives them into troubl for hitting and they willsay well my mum or dad does it. I don't hit my son because I don't want to hurt him or for him to seee me asd evil. As parents were suppose to love and protect ure kids from harm harm but by hitting them u causing them harm.
I'm not saying u love ure kid less. If u hit them but sure as hell u yave a voice use it talk to them like an adult instead of justrelaiating because they might have hit u first
Seriously do uwant ure kid to be afaid of u or do u want them to love u
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:04 pm 
Post subject:
I don't think anyone is saying hitting is good. We were hit as kids behind the knees or on the hands - both painful. But RARELY. We knew that if our folks said to us "get the wooden spoon" we were in for it and that pretty much stopped our bad behaviour (at that moment!).

So "hitting" can have some good in that the child knows, okay now this is it, I better watch. I don't think my parents were cruel for doing that and I most certainly love them to bits.

My daughter started biting me about 4 months ago (she was then about 18 months), she found it funny... No matter how simply etc I explained to her that it was not nice, naughty, painful etc.. she didn't get it. The only thing that worked was I bit her back (gently) a few times. Just enough for her to realise that it wasn't nice and she stopped.

Cleggy09
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:19 pm 
Post subject:
In all honesty, the butt wooping isn't wrong or right, I learnt to do as I was told or I'd get my bum slapped or my legs because my bum got fat and no longer had much effect. Nowadays if a kid sneezes we wrap them in cotton wool and throw every medicine down their throats, seriously? Take a chill pill half the stuff we do now makes our kids pansies, my daughters strong as an ox because I know her boundaries, when she's naughty and she can be pretty bad! I slap her bum (I don't obviously beat her) in minutes she knows and stops, now all I have to is hold her arm she knows what's coming and stops, kids don't misbehave to stress us out they are bored, cure Bordem and you will have a content child. But to come on here bashing someone's views on diciplin in my eyes is stuck up, there's a fine line between advice and criticism. Don't make the mistake of coming across as a stuck up know it all or it'll bite you in the ass. Try all methods love whatever suits you best go with it I went through tons before I tried the one everyone told me not to do, you love your kid it's in no danger to create peace do a sensible one xxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:21 am 
Post subject:
One thingf I have tried that seems to work quite well is taking favourite toys away (accompanied by the naughty step). Have a big box thats kept on a high shelf and try not to react to his bad behaviour. Just state calmly that he is not to do... (whatever it was) and if he does it again he will be sat on the naughty step and you will take his....(favourite toy) away. He will have to be good for the rest of the day before he earns it back.

You will probably have quite a collection of toys in the box before he gets the idea!

he is old enough to understand a choice, so put it to him, he chooses to behave and play with his toys nicely, or he chooses to behave badly and not have nice toys to play with. Praise him for making good choices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular