Can't put LO down

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:41 pm 
Post subject: Can't put LO down
We really can't put LO down anywhere during the day without her screaming. If we're out in the car or pram she's fine but at home she only ever wants to be in someone's arms. She can be fast asleep but if put her in her pram/swing/crib she wakes up within minutes screaming.

The good thing is she's brilliant at night. We're taking her to bed at the same time as us and when she's in her crib in the dark at night she'll sleep for hours. I don't want to make it dark during the day as I think it's important she knows the difference between day and night.

It's making it so hard to get anything done around the house, or even have a shower. Is this just something she'll grow out of? We really don't know what to do for the best. We don't pick her up instantly incase she settles herself but I can't just leave her screaming.

xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:58 am 
Post subject:
Have you tried swaddling ? Sometimes little babies disturb themselves flailing their arms about in their sleep and my second would wake up screaming if she did that, she also wanted to be held at the time at home, when out she would sleep in her pram but I think the movement helps a lot of babies Question
I didn't think to swaddle her and ended up practically carrying her about all day for the first few months, as she would sleep on my chest but nowhere else Rolling Eyes which wasn't ideal with a toddler, so with my next on a friends advice I swaddled her from her being tiny and used to warm her carrycot with a hot water bottle which I took out before putting her in so the temp change wouldn't startle her and she slept brilliantly Smile , of course could have been a coincidence, but with 3 of them it just wasn't practical to have been carrying her round all the time so I was determined I was going to find something that worked and I was very conscious of putting her down awake as well so she learnt to self settle as I suspect I may have created some of the problem with my second Question because I used to hold her until she was asleep from her being born which is something I never did with my first and he was always a brilliant sleeper too, it's supposed to be a bit of a shock for a baby if they fall asleep in one place and wake up in another so maybe there's something in that and it could explain the screaming as my daughter was the same Question
Maybe try the pick up put down as well Question , so just pick her up long enough for her to calm down then put her back down to sleep, never tried it with such a little one myself but I know it works with older babies, she will grow out of it eventually though my daughter did when I started putting her in her cot to sleep for naps at about 3-4 months, I also used to put her in her chair and take in the bathroom if I had a shower or the kitchen if I was in there so I could at least talk to her if she was crying, sometimes you just have to get something done and you can't pick them up so don't feel bad if you have to leave her crying for a few minutes sometimes, hope you find something that works for you though xx
xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:41 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you so much for your reply. Some things to think about there. You're right, I think she does get a shock waking up somewhere different to where she fell asleep. Might end up investing in one of those slings.

I don't want to sound like I'm moaning, just so much to learn.

xx

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:48 pm 
Post subject:
My 1st was the same, I ended up putting him in a carrier and doing housework with him strapped to me but in Summer it's too hot and he was heavy - 2nd and 3rd children were swaddled or left to cry, they soon stopped crying and all was at peace!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular