feeling guilty over c-section

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:28 pm 
Post subject: feeling guilty over c-section
Hi ladies i just need to rant !!

I am booked in for my c-sec on 19th April due to severe complications with my daughter and also my health this time around. I suffer with extremely low blood platelets which means my blood doesn't clot properly. The average platelet count for a human is between 150 million and 400 million. Not pregnant mine stand around the 100 million mark and as it stands they are at 29,000 !! They don't start to panic until it hits around 10,000. I have a condition apparently which means i suffer with this. Its also hereditary which means baby could suffer with it as well, meaning if i gave birth naturally and baby got stuck or something they are not allowed to intervene with forceps or anything incase she gets cut. Along with this my problems in labour with my daughter 4 yrs ago and the loss of my son in 2011 i have opted for a c-sec and unless my platelet count rises to at least 80,000 i will have to be asleep completely as i can't have an epidural.

My sister in law has made me feel guilty about this so much, going on.about the fact i suffered with pnd really badly with my daughter as i had to be asleep completely with her as well. She keeps making.side comments.....and now her mother has as well Sad it just makes me feel pants. I'm doing it for my own health....i don't really have much choice in the matter and I'm just fed up with the negative comments about it, like I'm a useless mother already !!

I'm sorry for the rant just needed to get it off my chest Rolling Eyes

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:44 pm 
Post subject:
When I first started reading your comment I must admit I was wondering why you were having a section if your blood wouldn't clot but I completely understand as soon as you mentioned the possibility of intervention. The thing is, if it was an individual situation and you hadn't of had previous complications then maybe natural would be an option but what if the worst was to happen? Its not really worth the risk!
I have a heart shaped womb, low lying placenta, breach positioning, etc, etc and they did offer to turn her but I decided I didn't want to risk it after all the bleeding I had. You made this decision because you know its best for you, just like I did, we both didn't want the section but made that decision, surely that's being a good mum? You're practically risking your life for your little one. Ignore what everyone else says and I know that may be difficult when its your own family but you're doing this for both of your safety not to please everyone else. Good luck Smile xxx
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:52 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you. It has been difficult, id love to try naturally but I've been told now by 3 professionals from the hospital its just not worth the risk. Like i said if my platelet count reaches at least 80,000 i can have an epidural and stay awake. I'm currently on steroids to try and help boost them. I just feel like i feel happier having a c-sec rather then risk the fact i could end up with an emergency one anyway which.they say is around 90% anyway.

Just don't like being made to feel guilty about it when its for both our own good !

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:09 pm 
Post subject:
You are making a decision that essentially isn't even your choice! It's what has been pointed out to be the safest option for both you and your baby and anyone that cant see that isn't worth listening to.. In my opinion..

I originally asked for an elective section this time purely because my son was so big.. Thats selfish.. I'm not having a section (unless I need an emergency one)...

Please dont let anyone make you feel guilty.. Your already being a brilliant mummy by putting yours and babies safety first Smile xx
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:10 pm 
Post subject:
You are making a decision that essentially isn't even your choice! It's what has been pointed out to be the safest option for both you and your baby and anyone that cant see that isn't worth listening to.. In my opinion..

I originally asked for an elective section this time purely because my son was so big.. Thats selfish.. I'm not having a section (unless I need an emergency one)...

Please dont let anyone make you feel guilty.. Your already being a brilliant mummy by putting yours and babies safety first Smile xx
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
You need to do what's right for you, you being well emotionally helps too. If you are going to get pnd I don't think a csection will affect this. Not that you will get it. You go ith what makes you happy. Good luck Very Happy

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:51 am 
Post subject:
I think most women would prefer to give birth naturally because that's how nature intended us to do it. Luckily though for ladies who cannot have natural a natural birth they discovered how to do ceasarian sections and that's why you now have lovely daughter and another to be safely delivered. PND is triggered by a chemical imbalance in the brain which for some reason can happen after birth and may not be related to the sedated c-section. So ignore your SIL you are doing as medically advised and you should be proud of yourself for agreeing to have major surgery (c-section is major surgery and not a walk in the park!!) to protect you and your unborn daughter. Try to feel positive about your decision and mentally prepare yourself for the surgery. I tell you something you are much braver than me. Don't let them drag you down with their silly talk.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular