Ive got a job!!! help with childcare.

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:12 pm 
Post subject: Ive got a job!!! help with childcare.
Ive been volunteering 2 mornings a week at a school whilst ive been studying for my level 2 supporting teaching and learning qualification.

I applied for a job vacancy that came up there last week and it said on the job advert that the closing date was 22/03/13 and that interviews where 28/03/13. I told the headteacher i was applying and he seemed very pleased.

it came to wednesday 27/03/13 (one day before interviews where supposed to be) and i hadnt heard anything? at break time the class teacher asked me if i knew the position was supporting a child with behavioural difficulties and told me who the child was and i told her i was aware of that and then that was that. so i was left very confused.

thursday came the 28/03/13 but no interview? saw the headteacher when i arrived at school and he said he needed to catch up with me later and what time would i be in till? I told him i was leaving at 11:30 so he said he would ring me. 4pm came and still no phone call so i ring him.....his words he said ah yes i was meant to ring you about the job vacancy basically we have been through the applications and well we know you.... so i was like yea! and he said who the role was supporting and i said i knew the child and i was fine with that and he was making out the child to be a bit of a monster and said he dusnt expect me to tame him in a day (like hes some sort of wild animal?) anyway he said hed like to offer me the job but would i be ok if we did it temporary for now for the summer term to see how things go and told me i woudldnt be alone and id have all the support of all the staff at the school in undertaking the role.

so thats that and i start after easter. 9-12 monday to friday. Georgia finsihes nursery at 12 so i need someone to collect her frm nursery and keep her for about an hour. found a private nursery that will do it but as im gonna be on a temporary contract i dont think i get paid during the hols. so do you think the private nursery will just do it term time for me?

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:34 pm 
Post subject:
I should think they would if you explain it to them. Quite a lot of nurserys are willing to work around parents shift patterns as they know they will more likely get the business if they are flexible.

Another option would be a childminder, and it would probably work out cheaper then a nursery.

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:48 pm 
Post subject:
You could ask the nursery what the charges would be for an extra hour. If you finish at 12 go straight away. How far us the nursery from you? Congrats on the job by the way!

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:58 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry no advice but I was wondering how you were getting on Laura. I am so glad to see how well you are doing x

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:14 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou everyone.

The nursery she currently goes to can't take her for an extra hour coz they close at 12 then the afternoon nursery starts at 1.

Im really hoping they are going to be flexible and just allow her to go term time otherwise I won't be able to do job as can't pay nursery fees when I don't hav wage coming in in the hols. And its gonna be their loss if they dnt, as im going to need childcare for at least the next 9 years.

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:17 pm 
Post subject:
And I looked into a childminder and only found one that could do it, but she can only do Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri, so that's no good for me as she cnt do wed.

happyhell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:03 pm 
Post subject:
Really lovely news about your job Laura. Congrats. Not heard from you in ages so lovely news.

Is there no family who can help if it's only for the Wednesday, if you take the child minder I mean?.....is the ex totally out of the question?

I hope something turns up, I'm sure it will. Good luck with the job x
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:42 pm 
Post subject:
Her dad is taking her to nursery on a morning for me. He can't pick her up coz he will be at work. Family sed they would help out if they lived closer but arnt willing to coz they live about 15 miles away.

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:32 pm 
Post subject:
I've found a childminder who can collect her frm nursery and keep her till 1 and give her dinner and she's only charging me £20 a week and doing term time only.

Im so pleased coz she's really lovely and Georgia loved it there when we visited yesterday.

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 pm 
Post subject:
That's great, you can start your new job a lot more at ease now. Remember to tell the tax credits too.

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
Yep im totally relieved to have it sorted.

And yes rang tax credits and they said I need to ring back once I start work.

CathySmith
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:30 pm 
Post subject:
I used to be in a similar situation. We just went to our local University's campus and posted some papers saying that we were looking for a nanny, and then we had interviews and decided on a nanny that we would want. We did end up going through several because they had different situations that caused them to have to move. Although all of my kids LOVED the nanny's we had and it was a good experience. Good luck!

-------------------------------------
Catherine
Best Rollerblades for Women
Alouise09
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:33 pm 
Post subject:
Congrats on the new job! x

Angel78
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:45 am 
Post subject:
Hi LauraG

its been ages since I've last been on and I was so happy to see your post. I'm starting the same qualification in August and was just wondering how you were finding the course and managing the workload. My daughters school is helping me with the placement which is fantastic but I was just a little worried about the amount of work with having two children!!! I'd be interested to see how your managing.

Congratulations on the job too Smile

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:58 am 
Post subject:
I actually managed to finish the qualification 2 months early. I just made sure that wen I was set assignments I did them straight away. I used to do them on an afternoon as my oldest is at school and my littlest was happy just playing with her toys.

I've just had confirmation of my place at college in September to do level 3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular