Brand new driver renting a car?

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 pm 
Post subject: Brand new driver renting a car?
Does anyone know if there's anything to stop a new driver from hiring a car?
I passed my test last October but since then haven't driven another car as haven't had the funds to buy one. So basically im still a brand new driver. I've been thinking about renting a car for a week to maybe go away down South for a holiday. National Car say they hire to drivers over 21 with a full UK licence (I'm 23) so would it matter if I haven't driven any other cars or held insurance as a fully licensed driver?

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:21 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry I dont know the answer.. But I think your best option may be to ring the company and ask? You'll get the most accurate answer that way? X
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:11 pm 
Post subject:
I would phone and check. You may be limited to the type of car you can have. even though I have been driving 9 years and am 27 when I looked at enterprise, I couldnt have a people carrier, a large car, or a sports car until I was 30.

Also I'm not 100% but I think you have to have insurance in your own name, as when I had a rental car through my car insurance claim (the other drivers insurance paid) I still had to provide proof of my insurance.

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
Post subject:
There's no way to tell if you've ever driven since, they have no access to anything concerning you so as far as they know you've been a driver since you passed x
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:56 pm 
Post subject:
hayley2903 wrote:
There's no way to tell if you've ever driven since, they have no access to anything concerning you so as far as they know you've been a driver since you passed x

Can they not check if you have had insurance then?

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:05 pm 
Post subject:
No, they may ask if you have an insurance policy because either way determines what kind of insurance they'll use to cover you, for example if you're already fully comp on another car you could get it really cheap (they'd still cover you for a higher insurance but still)
They may also ask when you got your license but whether you've actually driven a car in that time doesn't come into it.
Thank god because i've been driving since my 18th birthday (I'm 20 now) and my insurance is over £1000 a year on a hyundai gettz, its ridiculous!
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
steph181 wrote:
I would phone and check. You may be limited to the type of car you can have. even though I have been driving 9 years and am 27 when I looked at enterprise, I couldnt have a people carrier, a large car, or a sports car until I was 30.

Also I'm not 100% but I think you have to have insurance in your own name, as when I had a rental car through my car insurance claim (the other drivers insurance paid) I still had to provide proof of my insurance.

On the website it says the quote given includes road tax and third party insurance x

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:50 pm 
Post subject:
Pretty sure you have to have had a license for three years.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:24 pm 
Post subject:
dellabobella wrote:
Pretty sure you have to have had a license for three years.

I just checked there and just as well you said that. It's not 3 years, but it's 1 year so looks like I'll need to wait til next year unless I get my own car! It also says drivers between 21 and 24 are charged and extra £27 + tax per day Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular