hedrin

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:36 pm 
Post subject: hedrin
So I had the great delight of discovering tonight that Liam has headlice (yuck!!!) I bought Hedrin spray, the one you spray in and leave for 8 hours then wash off. Since it was only tonight after bath time that I noticed them, I put the spray in and then put him to bed not long after and will wash out in the morning. I went in to check his hair while he slept though and the little nits that stick to the hair still seem stuck. Has anyone used hedrin, and did it totally clear the head of lice after one application? I'm worried in case it doesn't remove it all and I am left having to pick them out manually x

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:06 pm 
Post subject:
Oh no! One of my biggest fears is lice... I hope it works.. It should make his hair so the lice slip off when you wash it? Tea tree oil is supposed to help too either with prevention or removing them.. I had to have my hair cut short cos of lice when o was younger... Good luck for in the morning xx
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:10 am 
Post subject:
It kills them off, I think the eggs are white then trun grey when they are dead, and should be easier to remove. You will need to comb them out with a nit comb.

Tea tree oil is good at preventing them. Me and my sister had nits loads as kids, and my mom found a tea tree spray in conditioner which seemed to work.

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:58 am 
Post subject:
Did you get a nit comb with the solution? I brushed through all my sons hair with the special comb when he had treatment and they were all coming out on the comb.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 am 
Post subject:
You need to go through his hair section by section. The nit comb if you have one will only get the lice and in all honesty sometimes they don't. I pull them out and pop the body and put in a bowl of water. The eggs I do the same pop whilst still on the hair and then pull off. You will find that any product does not full kill them off. I have had to do this far too often with my daughter who had long thick hair. Luckily it should not take too long with for you. Also headlice do not like tea tree oil and I still now use tea tree oil with water and spray it on her hair.
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 am 
Post subject:
Lotions dont work - use a nit-comb, start at the bottom of the head, tie up the rest until you've done a bit and work through a section at a time with hair conditioner to make the comb go through easier you'll need to do this every day for a few days, the eggs will hatch and you'll have to comb out the lice before they lay more eggs. use some kitchen towel or paper to scrape the comb off inbetween each section. Lotions are expensive and they honestly don't work, we have used every single treatment going, the combing is the only way to get rid of them for sure. You can even buy the combs that electrocute the lice as you comb it but it's not really necessary! My tip is show your kids the lice that you take off so they don't want to catch them again - they might be careful not to get their heads too close and want to have long hair tied back, my daughter complains about having her hair put back but I'm sure if I showed her some lice she wouldn't complain again!
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:34 am 
Post subject:
Well I used the spray last night and washed it out this morning and I can't see any lice or white eggs but all the tiny little black things are still there. Are those just shells? I have searched his hair and honestly can't see a single egg or lice. Are the little black bits live?

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:54 am 
Post subject:
The little black bits are lice they will eat off your sons scalp. Eventually they will get bigger and start laying eggs. So you need to get these off his scalp. You will need to do it all again next week too.
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:15 am 
Post subject:
But these aren't crawling Confused The lice he had yesterday were big and moving. These are just random little specks clinging to hos hair x

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 am 
Post subject:
Yep you are definitely going to have to treat again in 7 days. Eggs and empty eggs are white/clear not black.
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 am 
Post subject:
I knew I had to treat again in 7 days as it says that on the bottle but I don't understand how these can be lice if they aren't moving?

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 am 
Post subject:
You won't see the young ones moving at the moment they are just feeding off the scalp you only notice them moving when they start getting bigger. Whenever my daughter has had them I've first noticed what looks like specks of black muck!!
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 am 
Post subject:
Oh right, yuck!
I've been using the nit comb but the little ones are too tiny for the comb to catch them Confused Only way I can get them is to use tweezers and it's impossible to get him to sit for more than a min at a time.

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:00 pm 
Post subject:
Is the nit comb you've got a metal one? The plastic ones are rubbish.

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:24 pm 
Post subject:
[quote="jennaxhx"]Oh right, yuck!
I've been using the nit comb but the little ones are too tiny for the comb to catch them Confused Only way I can get them is to use tweezers and it's impossible to get him to sit for more than a min at a time.[/quote

Don't worry just treat again in 7 days and Everest just quickly check for eggs pop them and pull them out. The small lice you see maybe dead with rhe hedrin but if not they will get big enough to get them out over the week.

It's a real nightmare!!
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular