when did your bab start sleeping through?

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 am 
Post subject: when did your bab start sleeping through?
My son is 18 weeks and has started.not going to bed until gone 10pm, we wakes for a night feed at around 2am then wants to get up around 5.30 - i.am.totally exhausted!!

I feed him when.i go to bed about 11 to try and fill him up and sometimes he sleeps longer but not very often.
he also fusses for his dummy a lot in the night.

He is not on solids yet - he is not interested at l!!

This has been going on a couple of weeks now.....is it likely to change again. Not only am i exhausted but i dont get any time at all to myse lf.....i am not worried about that but it would be nice to put my feet up and have a bit of time to myself or even be able to get a few chores done......he is a very demanding baby when he is awake.....he like a lot of attention which i love giving but i have housework to do as well.

Very sleep deprived so i hope this makes sense!! Xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:12 am 
Post subject:
Where does your little one sleep? Lola was very funny aboutt sleeping in the same room as me and her dad, now she's in her own room she sleeps right through. She used to wake several times looking for her dummy and to have some juice! Xx
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:35 am 
Post subject:
Mine started sleeping through from 11 weeks but he would have done it sooner as I had to wake for night feeds. My son was put in his own cot and room from day 1 which I think helped. Try altering his bed time too. Why not start introducing bed time between 7 and 8 pm. At least if he does wake after then at least you've felt like you have had an hour or 2 on your own. You also need to think long term on bedtimes do you want him up at 10pm when he is a toddler? If not try establishing a routine that you want sooner rather than later. It won't stop the night waking but like a say it should give you some time to yourself which I know is important. I am like you on my own as my hubby works away.

My son sleeps 7 till 7 but has been waking at 5 to 530 some mornings I just ignore him and he has settled back to sleep after 15 minutes of moaning. Is your son screaming when waking?! A lot of babies don't sleep through till 1 either.
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:51 am 
Post subject:
i have troed putting him up earlier but he just wakes straight up! he was going up around 8.30 at one point. he has never self settled and wont go to sleep anywhere apart from on me...even my partner cnt get him to sleep. not that he tries v hard!! but thats another story.

he sleeps in his cot which is attached to our bed. for the first two months he would only sleep on my chest....we tried everything!! but after nights of no sleepp i gave in and let him sleep on ke. eventually he went in his cot but after a night feed he sleeps in my bed....every night i put him bk in his cot after a feed but most of the time he just wakes up and reaches accross and again i give in so i get sleep!

i have thought about moving his cot to the other end of my room but will need to get a bed guard because i know it will b a while before i can get him out of my bed. from day one he has been a needy baby despite me putting him down to sleep after feeds etc!

he doesnt wake crying in the morning he just stares at me and makes lots of noise until i get up...then he giggles! we play the dummy game for a good 20 mins in the hope he will go bk to sleep but i know he wont xx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:46 pm 
Post subject:
Ok no worries a tip I used when trying to get my now older daughter to sleep comes from the baby whisperer and it worked a treat but took a week. The pick up put down for bed. So all you do is put him in bed, stay in the room but don't look. As soon as he cries pick him up give him a hug and put back down in his bed. You might have to do it 100 times for some nights till he gets the message. You are not leaving him to cry either. Eventually he should settle to sleep. I didn't pick my daughter up though I just patted her for reassurance and I think it took over an hour each night for just over a week before she grasped the concept of bedtime. It was tiring and hardwork but paid off. Might be worth a try as I know a lot of mums don't like controlled crying.
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:35 pm 
Post subject:
Lola would do this until I started putting her to sleep in a different room, even if we weren't in the bedroom she would just wake but sleeps perfectly well in her own room. You should try it. Also try leaving him to play a little in the morning, could help him learn to be by himself and gradually sleep by himself xx
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:25 pm 
Post subject:
thanks girls. no i dont want to do.controlled crying so will try anything else. i will try the putting him.down and only picking him up if he crys.

i do leave him for a while in the morning... i reckon he wakes up a while before me and i keep.putting his dummy in until he starts getting stressed........anything for a few more minutes lol!

i guess i have been reluctant with moving him away from the bed because i put gis dummy in about ten times a night plus night feed so more for my sake plus i know he likes having us close. i was going to tey moving it once hestarted sleeping through but maybe i need to start now xx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter started sleeping through at about 3 months, stopped when she got her bottom two teeth at 4 months, slept through at 5 months and stopped when she got her two top teeth a couple of weeks later!

She has recently cut back on her daytime naps and started to go to bed at between 7-8 (previously it ranged from 7-11 but was usually about 9). She wakes at 5-6 am for a feed and used to go back down til 7.30 (recently she has decided that she doesnt want to go back to sleep)

Her sleeping pattern seems to change every so often and it is definitely possible to influence them.
I would try not to let him have a nap too late (I find after 5pm means she goes to bed later)
Make sure he's being active, mentally and physically (games and playing obviously does this)
Have a clear bedtime routine and try to have set times, Frankie has dinner betweeen 5-6, then bath at 6, then cuddles and milk before bed at 7 sh.
I found that changing my routine helped show her that things were changing.
I also have found that Frankie sleeps better in her own room

I think you may need to change your routine a bit and try what Banoffee suggested until he gets used to it. It sound like you're pretty tired already so whats a few more rough nights (fingers crossed it has some long term benefits)Even though Frankie is refusing to go back to sleep at 5-6 am I am putting her back in bed, it means I'm up a few times rather than once but I'm trying to keep bedtime and morning cuddles (7-8am) separate.
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:55 am 
Post subject:
thank you. he was up at 4.30 tosay!!! tried everything to try and get him to go bk down! he is defo teething and has been fussing all night for his dummy! so needless to say i am even more tired today. he went down at 8.30 last night but started fussing about 1am and didnt sleep properly after that. i am sticking to a strict routine now and praying it works.

i do dream feed him about 11 but he bearly wakes and goes straight down after xx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:38 pm 
Post subject:
I used to dream feed Frankie at about 10 but actually found it unsettled her more and she woke for a feed earlier (so she would wake at 2 ish instead of 5 ish, weird I know!) He is a bit younger than her so I wouldnt necessarily remove the bottle unless the other things you try dont work (then maybe try not giving him a dream feed and see what happens)

Good Luck!
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:14 am 
Post subject:
Sleep deprivation is a horrible thing. I did the same routine with all of mine and they all slept through at different times.
Although not ideal for you he seems to have himself into a routine. It's not advised to do controlled crying anyway with babies under 6 months. The pick up put down might help.
If he sleeps on you going to bed then when he wakes and he's in his cot he probably wonders were he is. If you put him into his cot at bedtime then he can start to associate it with sleep. I used to just put my hand on my lo's chest so they knew I was there but didn't speak to them and the room was dark. I ended up getting rid of dummies because mine were always looking for it at night which still gave be disturbed sleep.
Would you consider a dream feed of formula to try and fill him up a bit more and you get a bit more sleep. I didn't do dream feeds because as raspich said mine used to wake earlier too.
Hope he sleeps through soon for you. Xxxxx

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:37 pm 
Post subject:
Dp you do a different routine for nightime as opposed to daytime? What I mean by this is in the daytime make sure he's not in his nightime gear (for example, both mine get a clean sleepsuit and a sleeping bag at night whilst in the daytime they got to sleep in whatever they are wearing), but I also have a routine and I've started it with Tom zlready, this is what we do Smile

30 mins before bathime, rough play, (ie rolling round on the floor, lots of giggle and tickle time)
Bathtime
Dry, sleepsuit and sleeping bag
Bottle on mummies knee and then into cot awake
Stay patting back for 5 -10 mins till he starts to drop off.

Daytime routine is very different and I think this helped from very early, altho Alex didn't sleep through till he started nursery at 6 months old Wink

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:43 pm 
Post subject:
Erm 11 months the first time but still hit and miss now. The only thing that used to work with him was to sit next to him and rub his belly or back. We used to co sleep as well as it was the only way to get some sleep. He has a seahorse which helps. Have you tried playing around with temp/clothes/blanket vs grobag, etc? We found Jamie preferred blankets and preferred being hotter than they say they should be

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:08 am 
Post subject:
thanks girls. yes we have a diff routine at night. he has his bath around 7.30 and bottle about 8 then goes down.

he has the seahorse which i only put on at night when he goes in his cot. he also prefers blankets.

i thin he is just a needy baby and likes lots of cuddles and attention. hopefully as he gets a bit older he will get a little more independent. i keep trying to put him in his cot after feeds but hes not having it. he is a very strong willed baby and knows what he wants. i do love the cuddles just still worry about something happening when im asleep!! xx

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:16 pm 
Post subject:
Jamie was like that. He didn't sleep and wanted attention all the time. He did get better because by the time I went back to work he tended to do 3 two hour slots whereas he slept 3 hours in 24 as a newborn. Once he starts doing more it will help. I think you just have to keep trying new things and seeing what works for you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular