Ideas needed

spinetingle
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:18 pm 
Post subject: Ideas needed
Hellooooooo I posted this in the weaning section but got only one response

I'm really really really hoping someone has an idea here. My LO is 6 months and we have been trying to give him a bottle for 5 weeks. Problem is we started when he was teething and now he associates milk bottles with pain and he will not take it at all!!!

I have tried different milk, teats, temperatures, feeding in his sleep, letting him suck the dummy then trying to pop the bottle in, expressed breast milk, force feeding and starvation as a last resort

Any other suggestions?

He will drink tiny amounts of boiled water from a sippy cup but never enough to satisfy him.

Thank you. I know you are all so helpful

Xx
hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:30 pm 
Post subject:
Lola was the same although she was around 8/9 months. She stopped through a period of being ill,
Lola was the same with water too, so last resort we give her juice (only enough to colour the water and I wouldn't bother with baby juices, ribena Is a good one to give when poorly) but this should get him drinking.
You need to give him something you can put his milk into in a morning such as rusk, weatabix, etc and could put a yoghurt in also. Lots of cheese, snacking yoghurts, whatever dairy you can find
Lolas also constantly poorly since stopping milk so I'd get some vitamins from your local weigh in clinic or doctors which go into their juice.
Some babies just go off milk, its okay though! Xx
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:18 pm 
Post subject:
Is Baby breastfeeding? Only reason I asked is that you were saying about expressed breast milk.

George was breastfed exclusively for six months and then alongside weaning until a tear. He would never take a bottle it was like he just didn't get what to do with it. He also wouldn't take milk from a cup or anything it was like he was convinced milk just came from Mummy.

Have you tried a doidy cup? George liked these to begin with. Have you tried drinking from the sippy cup yourself so he thinks he's copying?
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:39 pm 
Post subject:
Have you tried one of the sippy cups which is a bit more like a mix between a bottle and cup (It has a softer spout for them to drink from.)

Could you just feed around your working day?

I'm not sure how its going to work yet but I assuming my daughter will have 1-2 sippy cups full of breast milk while I'm at work (as you know she also doesnt do milk from a bottle) Then I'll feed her in the morning (potentially twice, as she is waking at 5 at the mo but who knows what she'll be doing then!), after work and before bed.

How long before you go back to work?
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry I mis read and thought you meant your little one was refusing milk altogether not because you were weaning! Woops!
I would try the different sippy cups idea, I'd bought four before Lola settled on a Nuby one which has a rubber teat but like a sippy cup shape, I haven't been able to find them since though, I got that one from asda xx
Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:12 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you so much for the replies. Yes baby is breastfed. He did take bottles on the odd occasion until about 6 weeks ago.

Have tried doidy and the soft spout cups. He just won't have anything in his mouth he doesn't control (spoons included).

I'm back at work end of next month but have a night away booked in two weeks with dh. I think LO eats enough to not for while we are away but I'm really concerned that he needs to drink something

Also if he will only have 2 breast feeds (morning and night when I'm at work) I'm worried about his calcium intake

God dd wouldn't start bfeeding and this one wont stop!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular