CAN'T GET 2.5 YR OLD TO SLEEP IN OWN BED!

lucexmummy2ollie
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 pm 
Post subject: CAN'T GET 2.5 YR OLD TO SLEEP IN OWN BED!
Hi,

Like the title says, I absolutely cannot get my little boy (he is 2 and a half) to sleep in his own bed. It is my fault, I know this. He didn't swap over to a cot until he was 2 years old and when he did he wouldn't stay in bed when I put him in, I had to wait until he fell asleep and then put him in. But even then, he would wake up and cry at his door until I put him in mine. So after lots of very late nights and lots of disturbed sleep, I gave up and just allowed him to sleep in my bed with me (has been for nearly 6 months now). He still will not go to sleep until very late, it is a habit he has got into. I suffer with depression (I am on medication) so it has been easier for me to just allow him to sleep with me than get myself stressed (there were lots of tears from both him and me) trying to get him to sleep in his own. But now I know he really needs to start sleeping in his own bed. I am getting exhausted, I'm a single stay at home mum and I feel like I don't get a minute to myself. I have to go to bed when he does and I am just getting nothing done! Has anybody experienced this and got some advice for me as what worked for you? Please, I don't know what I can do! xx
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 am 
Post subject:
I think first of all you need to make sure he doesnt nap to much in the day, then Id say you need to start establishing a bedtime routine that you stick to every evening without fail. Something like bath, having some milk then a story before he goes up to bed (have a time in your head for his bedtime and stick to it, something like half 7 - 8 no later). All the time letting him know whats going to be happening. When it comes to taking him up to bed its a case of tucking him in saying goodnight, walking away and shutting the door. Its not going to be easy and I think theyll be lots of tears but every time he gets out of bed be it crying or coming out the door you will have to lift him back into bed , tuck him in and then leave again and while you have to do this dont engage in any conversations with him at all. Just pure and simple carrying him back to bed and thats it. Eventually he will realise that it is bed time and he isnt going to get his way and get in your bed. Overall its really important that you stick to it 100% and dont waver no matter hard it is.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular