Is this normal?! I'm going out of my mind with worry

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:50 pm 
Post subject: Is this normal?! I'm going out of my mind with worry
The other night, Noah woke up crying in the night (not unusual). However, when I went to see him he was sat bolt upright, eyes wide open, talking nonsense. For example he told me he didn't like the piece of wood I had in my pocket. (There was no wood, or pockets!)

Half an hour later, more crying. He told me he didn't like his blanket as it was the wrong colour. I asked him what colour he wanted it to be - he said "pink". I told him it WAS pink (even though it was blue and green) but he calmed right down. Half an hour later, more crying. This time, his pillow was "dirty" and he made me get him a different one. Later on in the night, more screaming. This time it was because the stripey sheet on his bed was "bothering him.

The next day, Noah had a fever (39.8 degrees) and a really bad cold. He was not himself all day, so I put his weird night activities the night before down to his fever.

However, just before lunch today, we came back from the park in the car and he had a total meltdown - tears, the works - because he didn't like a tree behind our house!! He was screaming "Daddy - cut down the tree". We put it down to tiredness, and so after lunch I've put him straight down for a nap, but after 2 minutes of being in bed, he was screaming for me. I went to him and he said "I don't like the circles on the wall over there". He pointed, and I carried him over to the wall to show me (there's nothing there! Just a plain, blue wall).

What is going on?! Is this all normal? Is it just tiredness/fever/over-active imagination. Or should I be more worried. My hubby has just said that if I take him to the doctor and says "doctor, my 3yr old son starts having tantrums at bedtime and in the middle of the night" he'll laugh me out of the surgery. Am I worrying un-necessarily?!

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:00 pm 
Post subject:
Is he doing this only after waking? It could be that he's sort of sleep walking if it is. It's common for kids that age to sleep walk but they usually grow out of it x

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:33 pm 
Post subject:
is he still asleep when hes saying these things? it could be a type of night terrors??? charlie went through a phase of crying about things that didnt make sense in the middle of the night.. now he gets up telling me hes had a night mare... still about things that dont make sense.. xx
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm 
Post subject:
Has he still got a fever? As it sounds like it might be hallucinations caused by a high temp?

It doesn't sound like typical nigt terrors to me. My boy had them quite bad and he wasn't really with it when he woke just sort of screams for me but its hard to comfort him. Definately while he was having one wouldn't be able to articulate that something specific was bothering him. Might be nightmares.

I think carry on with the reassurance and if you're worried then take him to the docs. They would never laugh a concerned mummy out of the surgery xx

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:39 pm 
Post subject:
I don't know about the other stuff but I know when I have a migraine I see things like circles or patterns on the walls.

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 pm 
Post subject:
Does he remember any of it in the morning again? If not, its probably night terrors. They can last a couple nights or a couple weeks and are dreadful to experience.
We had this awhile ago with our almost 3 year old. I hated every second of it. Also when he is tired he will suddenly "see" something that isn't there and have hysterics. I tell him that its okay and Mommy took it away and that seems to calm him.
Big hug. xxx

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:17 am 
Post subject:
Yes, he remembers what he's said, so I don't think it's night terrors.

It doesn't just happen when he's just woke up, either. It can be at any time of day (but it IS when he's tired). For example, yesterday we were sat eating lunch and he looked exhausted. I'd already decided he was going to go for a nap as soon as he'd eaten. But then out of nowhere, he started saying how he didn't like the blinds. (They're wooden venetian blinds and have been up since we moved in the houe!) It's almost like the pattern was bothering him.

I've decided I'm going to take him to have his eyes tested - just in case. Perhaps he's getting blurry vision or something and it's confusing him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular