Any mums been through this?

Emzaloid
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:18 pm 
Post subject: Any mums been through this?
Hi, I have an 18 month old son and in 2 months will have a daughter.
In the day, my son will have an hour sleep between 9 and 11 and another hour sleep somewhere between 2 and 4pm.

From 4pm, its TV, dinner, bath, bottle storytime and then bed should follow .... but he fights it so much.
He'll rub his eyes, yawn, get grizzly, but will only want to sleep on either myself or daddy. If you put him directly into his cot, he'll scream and cry the house down, until we have to go to bed ourselves, therefore resorting back to lying him on daddy and within 2 mins he's asleep, then transfer him to his cot.

I've tried: nightlight, lights completely off, full light, me sitting on the carpet for hours on end listening to him cry until my head wants to burst. Ive tried reading to him for hours, pretending Im asleep on his bedroom floor. I'm lost for ideas ..

Ideally I need him in our routine rather than his own by the time baby arrives, which will be in around 9 weeks! Can it be done?? Please help. Any suggestions are great xx
StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:09 am 
Post subject:
Welcome to Askbaby.
The only thing I can think is maybe it's time to address the naps? He might be having more than he needs now. My son is 16 months and usually has one nap for 1hr or so around 1/2pm. If he has less or more he gets very moody when it comes to bedtime.
Does he have music to bed ? We have a baby monitor that plays music, normally if George is fussy that settles him because it distracts him?
There are different methods to try and get him sleeping alone without being cuddled, you could try controlled crying where you leave him for a minute then settle then gradually leave him longer each time.
Hope someone else can help more and you crack it soon x

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:01 pm 
Post subject:
Hello Smile

Is he in his own room? I found Lola would not sleep at all in the same room as me and her dad, strange!
Also does he have a comfort such as a teddy to sleep with? This may help

I would look at the naps too, that's currently what my 13 month old needs a day so perhaps try keeping him awake in the morning, and switching his afternoon nap to around dinner time, also where he goes for these naps. Lola doesn't do well having a nap in her cot so I put her in her pram! So she knows her cot is for bedtime at night.
good luck xx
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:01 am 
Post subject:
My daughter is only 6 months but she loves the music and projector I use to settle her sometimes.

It sounds like he's having more sleep than my 6 month old (though she doesnt sleep much in the day) so I would definitely reduce his naps.

You may have to bite the bullet and try some sleep training (not necessarily the cry it out method)

Good Luck
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:37 pm 
Post subject:
I would say do not let him sleep after 2pm, up to 4pm seems far too late.

Now I know that everyone has said he is sleeping too long in the day, actually it could be the opposite problem, maybe he's not getting enough, babies sleep bad at night if they are over tired.

Do you sperate nightime sleeping from daytime sleeping with a different routine?

At 18 months old they could wrap you round their finger. I'd say make a different bed time routine from the day sleep one, and then putting him to bed in controlled crying way, as harash as it is Sad

Good luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular