Silent Reflux/tongue tie

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:24 pm 
Post subject: Silent Reflux/tongue tie
ok little Thomas is almost 4 weeks old (blimey how time flies). He has confirmed tongue tie and is having it snipped in a couple off weeks.

However I've noticed since his feeding has gone up more he is spluttering, choking and generally being reallly fussy whilst feeding, then when I wind him he often has huge coughing fits. Originally I put this down to his cough/cold, but thats gone now.

I managed to video some of it this morning and showed the midwife, she was quite shocked and said it could be the tonguetie but to take him to the dr's, (I'm awaiting a triage call back as usual Sad ) He does manage to keep his feed down, just chokes a lot.

However those that have babies with silent reflux or tongue tie, does this sound like your baby?

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:51 pm 
Post subject:
My nephew had tongue-tie and had no problem bottle feeding. in fact it was noticed by chance until he was a couple of months old. He did however have trouble chewing food when he was older as they refused to fix his unless he has speech problems. Each baby is different so it could be the tongue-tie and I have no experience of silent reflux.

Hope you get some answers soon.
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:59 pm 
Post subject:
Banoffee wrote:
My nephew had tongue-tie and had no problem bottle feeding. in fact it was noticed by chance until he was a couple of months old. He did however have trouble chewing food when he was older as they refused to fix his unless he has speech problems. Each baby is different so it could be the tongue-tie and I have no experience of silent reflux.

Hope you get some answers soon.

thnx Banoffe, the doc isn't sure, said it could be tongue tie but sounds more like silent reflux, she has given us some gaviscon, problem is the feeds he has are soooo small not sure he'll like the extra strong mix flavour Sad

As for your nephew and tongue tie, it depends on the % (maybe its only 25% tongue tied), not all babies with tongue tie have issues eating, in fact some like your nephew are not noticeed until much older (generally around speeech time). Also to put your mind at rest, often if its left it can break itself as the baby becomes a toddler and runs around. They generally only check for tongue tie in new borns if the baby is having trouble latching, staying latched or milk pools in their mouth. I hope he's sorted soon. xxx

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:20 pm 
Post subject:
Poppy has tongue tie but not affecting bottle feeding (although she can only go from one type of teat). We have done all sorts to help her stretch it. we had our appt where they were going to cut it last week but have managed to encourage her to stretch it so if or until it becomes a further prob we are leaving it (and continuing with the exercises my local speech assistant team told me about). But no, she can drink fine but can only use special teats or she cannot get the milk out.

Hope he gets better soon with the gaviscon

xx

hoping4number2
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:03 pm 
Post subject:
Isla had a tongue tie and was breast fed. She didn't latch very well and took forever to feed, that's why they noticed i think. She didn't have any trouble coughing or choking, just slow to latch and then feed. She had hers snipped at 3 weeks old as it can affect speech and as my first had severe speech probs, I wasn't taking that risk again!!

Hope you get it sorted Hun!

Xx
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
Scarlett has silent reflux and has been on gaviscon for 3 weeks now ( she's 7 weeks old ). Her symptoms were red faced, arching back, talung ages to finish a feed, coughing loads and hiccuping, and I could often hear her stomach gurgling away. Oh n she would gag but bring nothing up x

[/url]
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:31 pm 
Post subject:
amesymc wrote:
Scarlett has silent reflux and has been on gaviscon for 3 weeks now ( she's 7 weeks old ). Her symptoms were red faced, arching back, talung ages to finish a feed, coughing loads and hiccuping, and I could often hear her stomach gurgling away. Oh n she would gag but bring nothing up x

mmm sounds a lot like this, and also its as though he has a chest infection every time he has a feed, he is soooo wheezy, off to see HV tomorrow,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular