Finding a routine for Baby No. 2

WifeyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:20 pm 
Post subject: Finding a routine for Baby No. 2
Hi ladies,
For those of you have 2 (or more) little ones what is your routine like? When we had our little girl I had a very definite bedtime routine from very early on, bath, pyjamas, milk then into the moses basket with lights dimmed etc.
We've now got a little boy who will be 8 weeks old on Tuesday and Im struggling to find a similar routine. He still sleeps quite alot through the day then is wide awake from around 7pm onwards. I still do the bath, pyjamas etc but I also have to work around my little girls bedtime so it's not quite as structured.
I can't complain as (touching wood) he sleeps quite well once we go to bed just waking for feeds. Im not too worried about it (far more relaxed with the second) and think he's still quite young just wondered what other people did and at what age?
x
Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:04 pm 
Post subject:
I'm in a similar situation- no 2 is 7 weeks tomorrow. We have a few thing fairly set in a routine - our day starts generally whenever no 1 (2.5yrs) gets up which is around 6.30/7am. We get up and dressed as usual if baby is up she gets dressed too, if she's sleeping I leave her and head downstairs for breakfast and just get her up whenever she wakes. After breakfast we head to nursery 3 days a week to drop off no1, other days we just take it easy. The day is generally a bottle every 3 hrs with sleep and wake inbetween - sleep times etc are variable- no set routine but I do make sure she feeds every 3 hrs as this makes her go longer at night. We start bedtime routine about 6.30-6.45 which consists of bath- every night for no1, every other night for baby. If baby doesn't get bathed she still goes upstairs and gets changed at the same time for consistency. Then we all head downstairs- no1 gets her usual juice & supper, no2 gets a bottle then both head to bed around 7-7.30 ish. Usually no1 first then no2 whenever bottle is finished.

We're really lucky as they both go down fairly easily. It's anyone's guess when we're up for feeds in the night usually once but sometimes still twice but the times are very variable! Whatever happens at night I try to work the feeds so that we still make bedtime at the same time everyday. Sometimes I give no2 bottles every 2.5 hrs during the day, sometimes every 3.5 hrs and she will generally go with whatever I offer her.

Hope that helps - every daytime is different as I love to get out and about and do things every day, the only set thing is the feed times really.

Good luck
Kathryn xx
WifeyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:39 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your reply. Our day is similar, we are up at 7.30 but leave little one if he's sleeping. Going to start bedtime at around 6.30 so we can get little one ready then our little girl but he is wide awake most nights until around 10.30 so can't actually put him in bed :-/

Can i just ask, are you bf or bottle? If its bottle how much does the little one take? Ive been trying to get him to go 4 hrs.

xx
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:03 pm 
Post subject:
We're bottle feeding - I offer her 6oz and she takes anywhere between 4-6oz at a time and has 6 bottles a day. She can go 4hrs between bottles but then I struggle to get all the bottles in during the day and she consequently is up more at night. I also find that if she is awake more during the day she sleeps better at night and goes down easier. She's quite a sleepy baby so sometimes I do wake her if I think she's slept too much (as in 2-3 hrs solid) as I know I'll gain from it at night time. Generally I don't let her sleep after 5pm as well which usually means she is totally knackered by 7pm and ready for bed.

I know some people don't agree with waking a sleeping baby or offering feeds before they ask for them but I find it works for me and generally we are only up once a night and its a quick bottle, burp and back down again.

Kathryn xx
WifeyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Kathryn, Harvey usually has 5oz and goes between 3-4 hrs so has around 6 bottles in 24hrs.
I try to offer his last feed at around 10.30pm but he is still up twice in the night.
He is getting sleepier in the evenings so think we might start putting him to bed instead of keeping him up with us.
I just don't want him to disturb our little girl and if I'm honest I like the cuddle time Smile
So do your little one only have 1 feed between bedtime (7.30pm) and the next morning...that's great!
xx
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
Yeah she's usually up just once overnight - last night it was 2.30am and then 6am so sometimes the 2nd feed is still during what I would call night but like today that usually just means our day starts a bit earlier as no1 wakes up if she's up at that time. I know I'm really lucky though as most babies are more like yours I think!

I know what you mean about not wanting to disturb your girl but its amazing how quickly they get used to it. My oldest woke for every feed and struggled to get to sleep at night to start with when we were running up and down to settle baby in the early weeks but now she just ignores us and sleeps through (except if we're up at 6am she seems to be in a much lighter sleep at that time of day).

If he's sleepy in the evenings I'd definitely try and put him down earlier- it's great when you get a bit of your evening back to yourself- makes you feel more human again!!

Kathryn xx
WifeyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 am 
Post subject:
Well we've changed our routine and so far seems to be working alot better. We are now feeding H every 3 hrs rather than fighting to get him to 4. He takes between 4 - 5 oz. His last feed has been around 9 and we've put him down in his crib after that feed. 2 nights he slept until around half 2. He still then wakes around 3 hrs later but doesn't have much so I'm hopeful he'll go longer before too long.
I have been going to bed at the same time and last night he fed earlier so just took him up when we went up around 9.30 and put him down.
We're making sure we do the bedtime routine at 6.30/6.45 so we'll see how it goes!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular