Help please! Awful bottle aversion.

spinetingle
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:47 pm 
Post subject: Help please! Awful bottle aversion.
Hellooooooo

I'm really really really hoping someone has an idea here. My LO is 6 months and we have been trying to give him a bottle for 5 weeks. Problem is we started when he was teething and now he associates milk bottles with pain and he will not take it at all!!!

I have tried different milk, teats, temperatures, feeding in his sleep, letting him suck the dummy then trying to pop the bottle in, expressed breast milk, force feeding and starvation as a last resort

Any other suggestions?

He will drink tiny amounts of boiled water from a sippy cup but never enough to satisfy him.

Thank you. I know you are all do helpful

Xx
Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter also has a bottle aversion. I had to express and use a bottle for the first 5 weeks of her life, then I avoided it completely and now she will drink boiled water from a bottle but not milk!

I have introduced a sippy cup instead and she will happily drink expressed milk from it! Bizarre!

Good luck!
Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:34 am 
Post subject:
He will only drink about 10mls from a sippy cup.

I need to go back to work. I just don't know what to try next.

I'd be fine if he'd drink the equivalent of a bottle from a cup but its not happening.
spinetingle
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 am 
Post subject:
Any ideas??? Anyone??
spinetingle
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:08 pm 
Post subject:
Nothing??? Sad
spinetingle
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:09 pm 
Post subject:
Nothing??? Sad
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:09 pm 
Post subject:
Maybe try posting in general chat spinetingle x
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:16 pm 
Post subject:
Shall do. Thanks. And congratulations. I have been following your progress. I'm made up for you.
Xx
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:57 pm 
Post subject:
spinetingle wrote:
Shall do. Thanks. And congratulations. I have been following your progress. I'm made up for you.
Xx

Thank you Very Happy
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 am 
Post subject:
If he doesn't like bottles I'd keep trying with the cup , make the milk warm so its like breast feeding and hold him the same way you do to breast feed ,maybe try with the expressed milk as well at first, if you don't have any luck with the cup you've got try some different ones, I know with mine that cups one liked another hated , my youngest had avent bottles that came with soft spouts and handles and that how I transitioned him from breast feeding to his cup, and then gave him his top up milk like that after his food, he would only drink the hipp organic milk still Rolling Eyes Laughing purely because I wanted to try and still do 2 breast feeds a day and with my DD when she was bottle resistant and I kept trying then she finally took the bottle but wouldn't breast feed at all Rolling Eyes Sad , using the cup with him meant we carried on with evening feeds until he was almost one , good luck I know how tricky it can be introducing something new , but if you keep trying eventually he should get used to it xx
hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:03 pm 
Post subject:
My little girl went off milk at 9 months and would take sips like you describe but nothing more, shes never had it since.
If this does happen its not a problem just means he will be fully weaned, and make sure he takes lots of yoghurts, cheese, milk in cereal, etc
Also vitamins in juice!

I know its not ideal giving them juice but when Lola was in hospital and wouldn't drink (she was on a drip as she was very poorly so needed fluids) juice did the trick. only enough to colour it, but anyway you can get vitamin drops to put in there.

That's obviously a last resort though. I would try 'nuby' beakers. Lola is very particular about the type of beaker she has and she loved these!! I must have bought around 6 before we found one she liked x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular