Labour wear

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:27 am 
Post subject: Labour wear
Just wondering what you found best to wear for labour and afterwards in hospital? The midwife said ideally to wear a nightie that opens at the top for the skin to skin contact. I can't find one of these anywhere though. I know she also said to wear anything old that you don't mind getting wrecked but I don't have anything so need to buy one but don't want to spend a lot.

Will want a nice clean one for after first shower, but again does it matter what the style is? Or can I wear PJs? I'm wanting to get my hospital bag ready next week but really feel at a sticking point with this.

Thanks xx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:51 am 
Post subject:
I bought all kinds with archie, and didn't use it. I went to be induced and had my pj's on all day. labour started and didnt even think of changing or anthing just whipped my bottoms off. Then when he was born top came off and I had sheets over me. Same with charlotte never got into my birthing nightie as she was too fast so again the same as archie.
I wore dark bottomed pj's for my stay in hospital with buttons on the top for feeding. They said take a dressing gown but that was a waste of space as its far to hot in hospital xx

StaceyRD
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:13 am 
Post subject:
For Isabelle I had a nightie that opened at the top from Primark, have you tried there ? Bought a few sizes bigger and threw it after a few weeks - was naked when I gave birth so that was just for feeding and cuddling after.
I honestly can't remember what I wore with George... I was naked by the end though because I got too hot, ha. How puzzling though, I really don't know what I wore to start with Confused I *think* I bought a cheap nightie and bottoms for after x

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:33 am 
Post subject:
I just wore a cotton nightie.. With the boys I bought a cheap top opening one from von marche but thats closed now so I just got a cheap nightie from primark.. Its ruined now so dont spend alot of money on one.. I had to borrow a hospital gown after cos I only had joggers and a vest other wise and they were great for the day after x
Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 am 
Post subject:
I wore a strapless top cause I felt it was easy to pull down and have skin to skin, but ended up with a hospital gown in theatre.

After both of mine I just had PJs or leggings

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:20 pm 
Post subject:
I had a vest top and PJ bottoms on when I was in labour, just took the bottoms off last minute, and wore the same (but a fresh set!!!) for my few days after in hospital. I actually ended up going to the hospital in my PJ bottoms as I was too uncomfortable to wear my maternity jeans while I was in labour - they felt too tight because baby was so much lower than I was used to... and to be honest - you don't really care Very Happy Comfort becomes priority Smile x

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 pm 
Post subject:
I just bought a big nighty with ava and that was fine. Not sure what I will do this time.. thinking of doing it naked haha xx

Kenty
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:23 pm 
Post subject:
I just bought basic nighties from primark that were loose on the neck so I could pull down for skin to skin and they worked fine Smile as for after I like wearing just normal pyjamas, but have a spare nightie just in case things take a turn and you have a catheter in(this happened with my 1st)

poppytops
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
I had a loose strappy nightie from Primarni Wink Although I ended up wearing a hospital gown after as I was an emergency c-section Rolling Eyes Afterwards I bought some fantastic PJ bottoms from Peacocks, they have a fold over waistband (not maternity ones) and wore them throughout my pregnancy. Get dark ones though, I bled alot afterwards and something loose fitting is good too xxx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm 
Post subject:
I had a big nightie from Primark too but it all happened a bit quickly and I ended just wearing a vest top and leggings (obviously not the leggings when I was giving birth!) Laughing

I would try to find a nightie which is strappy and loose or one that has buttons at the front. They like to put baby on your skin straight away and encourage BF immediately, so access is important.

I would definitely choose something you dont mind having ruined and also have black/dark trousers for after the birth!
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 pm 
Post subject:
Once I was in full wing of labour I just needed to strip off did not want to feel restricted with clothes on and was so hot. So I was naked with the sheets just around my legs. I did buy a cheapie bigger size nightie but wore this after given birth which for me was the wrong choice as I was breast feeding and needed access to my boobs so had to keep lifting my nightie up which was not a pretty sight! Confused

So def buttoned pjs if your planing on breast feeding x

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:17 pm 
Post subject:
I agree, nighties are not ideal for BF unless they button down quite far. The only use I had my dressing gown was to help cover when I was trying BF but I actually used to just close the curtains! It was much too hot for me to use generally (in October too!)

I got bottoms like poppytops described from Sainsburys, I used them throughout my pregnancy, while I was in hospital and in bed for pjs now - hehe!
Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:24 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies. Well I bought a night shirt from Tesco which I thought was perfect as the midwife said you can always wear one of OHs shirts as perfect for buttons. Got it home though and decided I'd probably be too hot in it and elbow length sleeves. Took it back tonight and exchanged it for a cheap pack of 2 strappy nighties. Got them home and they're really short and not loose enough so guess I'm going to be going back again. Aghhhh!!

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldnt stress, you wont even care what you're wearing when it comes too it! Laughing
Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:43 pm 
Post subject:
I was really concerned about this with my first and ended up taking one of my mums old nighties. I had a tshirt and loose trousers, then ended up in the pool in just my bra (which was white and needed to be chucked afterwards!). Then with my second, jeans and tshirt, before changing into tankini top for the pool. It is so true that you don't care during labour! Afterwards feeding vests and comfy bottoms x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular