Vasectomy reversal West midlands

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:03 am 
Post subject: Vasectomy reversal West midlands
Has anyone had it done, can you recommend a clinic. Closest to us would probably be Wolverhampton or Birmingham.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:13 am 
Post subject:
Have you tried asking on vasectomy reversal part 2 Steph ? I know a lot of the tubal reversal ladies don't read other sections so maybe the vasectomy Ladies (well mostly ladies I think there's one man Laughing ) are the same Question Or have a scan through old posts , that what I did when I was first looking for a clinic .
I bet there's loads near you though, but with the private hospitals its often worth travelling as sometimes the private hospitals charge so much more near bigger cities, I know I had this as i'm near Manchester and they wanted over a thousand more so I travelled a bit and went to the same group but near Macclesfield and it was 1300 pounds cheaper Shocked
You can check out docs credentials on the GMC site as well to make sure they have all the qualifications they claim to have ,you need someone who has experience of these ops really. He should be someone who's trained as a Urologist and in micro surgery.
Good luck finding someone, I'd definitely try and get some recommendations, but remember with these ops everyone's outcome can be different as a lot of it is down to how your body heals, how much scarring you get and for men also the added complication of sperm anti bodies so even if you get a surgeon who's had successes its no guarantee, also IVF with surgical sperm retrieval is another option ,I don't know if you've thought about that ? That way volume doesn't matter as they only need one sperm for each egg , I know that reversals seem the better option on paper as it seems more "natural" and you get in theory more chances to try or to try for multiple children in the future, but I've found that in practise its not so simple as the trying naturally isn't all its cracked up to be Laughing from a stress point of view I mean Wink , and scarring and blockages are a real issue which can happen surprisingly quickly Confused
Although the vasectomy reversal is cheap compared to IVF/SSR/ICSI so maybe its always worth trying it first Question
I'd definitely freeze sperm though if he does have one ,or some places will remove sperm during the op in case it doesn't take , also some will do a second procedure free if the first fails , so it's worth shopping around .
One name I have heard mentioned is Duncan Harris , he's not Birmingham more Nottingham , I've just heard about him as the tubal reversal and vasectomy reversal forums often overlap so I remember the name and he seems to have a good reputation Question xx
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:50 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for all the info. Its a new partner for me, and he wasnt even aware he could have it reversed. I have told him that its something he needs to consider if he wants a long term relationship with me. That might sound a bit nasty, but I would rather try and fail then not be able to try at all.

I think he regrets having done, expecially as he was only 30 at the time, so just looking into costs, and maybe get him a consultation. It seems to be around £2K? does that sound about right?

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:45 pm 
Post subject:
Yeah the vasectomy reversal is cheaper than tubal reversals , so £2,000 sounds about right , the time since the original op can make a difference as well so it can be worth getting it done as soon as possible even if you don't want to try right away, and freezing sperm is definitely a good idea if he has it and has sperm at some point as sperm counts can drop again.
I don't think it sounds nasty at all , I think it's natural to want a child with a new partner Smile
I think it's crazy that the NHS would do a vasectomy on someone who only has two kids Question
I'd love to see them and sterilisations stopped on the NHS as they do often cause misery down the line , how they expect people to make a decision about something that affects the rest of your life is beyond me, and they only do them as they know it will save them money Confused
If he had the reversal and it didn't work then IVF is always still out there as an option , its amazing what they can do when it comes to sperm retrieval now .
Has he asked his GP about a reversal on the NHS ?
I know they don't often agree but it seems to depend on areas a lot as well and some will do the op on the NHS some point blank refuse, if he was young and only had two children then he might have a better case ? It doesn't hurt to ask anyway, plus he could probably do with getting his op report from the vasectomy from his GP as his reversal surgeon might want to see it , Good luck xx
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:35 pm 
Post subject:
She already had 2 kids, so they had 4 between them. He opted for it because he said it was an easier operation then her being steralised? She was older so more at risk if she had another baby.

I agree with you they should be banned, unless its for medical reasons. Eg the womans life would be at danger if she got pregnant again.

Its been 5 years since he had it done. But as he said the break up came out of no where, he expected to be with her forever. I think if he had been older, or his children were older then it probably wouldnt have bothered me. But we have still got time to have another couple of children! Laughing

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:02 pm 
Post subject:
Well he told me last night he had been looing into it and will get it done. Now lots of research into pricing and the clinics reputation.

Seems to be a lot of different information about how effective it is, as he said he saw it was around 33% and I had sites saying 25-55% depending on how long ago it had been done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular