Anyone else had a laparoscopy?

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:10 pm 
Post subject: Anyone else had a laparoscopy?
Got to go in to hospital Friday for a laparoscopy just wondered if anyone else had had it done and what the recovery time was like.

Also what would you back in a day bag for the hospital?
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Smile

I've had two laparoscopies before, a couple of years ago.
I found it took a good couple of weeks to start feeling towards your normal self again as I found the wounds really sore and also internally down below I was quite sore too. I also bled for a good few days afterwards.
I was supposed to stay in for the day (ended up staying three days the second time) and I took slippers, magazines (for when I was waiting), deodrant etc. Also I wore REALLY baggy clothes which you will definitely need for when you leave the hospital. I purposely bought a velour track suit type thing about two sizes too big and was very grateful for it!!
As well as the pain in my tummy, I had a lot of pain in my shoulders from the gas they insert during the operation, particularly after my first one. The only thing that helped comfort me was my partner rubbing my back and I could feel the air all moving around inside my back lol Smile
Just make sure you take it nice and easy and don't rush yourself afterwards Smile
Hope it all goes well for you xx
xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:56 am 
Post subject:
I had one nearly 2 years ago, and agree took a couple of weeks to feel completely back to self. I was in absolute agony with the trapped wind for almost a week and didn't move off the sofa (not like me at all). They did give me strong pain killers to take home, but I ended up buying some peppermint oil capsules and they really helped.

I think I just took comfy clothes and a book to the hospital with me.
Hope it goes well.
xx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:35 am 
Post subject:
Again as other ladies said it took me about 2 weeks to recover, I also got trapped gas in my shoulders but it wasnt to bad and I took windeeze. I got sent home with painkillers which I made use of. With regards of what to take in hospital I took a dressing gown, a pair of slippers and some magazines for the wait oh and a mirror and hair brush for after lol. I left my engagement ring at home. Clothes wise again same as other ladies have said loose fitting bottoms are a must, I wore some very lose joggers that day. I also lived in joggers for at least a week after because of the bloating and they were just more comfortable.
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
I definitely agree that the trapped wind is near as bad as the actual pain from the op!
My stomach just felt sooo sore for days afterwards and I was in agony trying to sit/get up for the first few days.
So yeah like Nutty says, take advantage of any pain relief you are given and keep on top of it Smile And make sure you've got plenty of baggy bottoms to hand Smile
Might seem obvious but remember to get some pads in for any bleeding afterwards. I was given some at the hospital after my op which were really comfy and padded and made sitting down a bit easier! So I used those until I had ran out and then used my own xx
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for advice Ladies.

I was hoping to go back to work Monday but now not sure how realistic that is. Guess I will just have to wait and see. Worse will probably be Tuesday when oh goes back to work as he's away for 4 days so I'll be on my own with George. Which means walking nearly 2 miles to drop him at childminders and then on to work and the same on the way home.

I've a couple of pairs of tracksuit bottoms that should be smart enough for work.

I didn't realise how long it takes for your tummy to go down. I have lost just over a stone since Christmas and oh has given me some money to go shopping at the end of the month so hopefully I will deflate by then.

It's going to be a shock to the system having a bleed as I haven't done so since before George as I was pregnant, then breastfeeding which overlapped with getting the implant.
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:27 am 
Post subject:
Don't want to worry you and know everyone is different, but I'd have a standby plan just incase. I'm generally a fit person (use the gym a lot and am never ever ill), and I could only just manage to walk up the stairs, never mind 2 miles.

xx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:29 am 
Post subject:
I barely bled at all few spots here and there so you might be one of the lucky ones. Depends I guess on exactly why you are having the laparoscopy. x
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular