Where to post about sterilisation/vasectomy?

kayleyfluffybabyBUM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:58 am 
Post subject: Where to post about sterilisation/vasectomy?
I need advice regarding partner getting a vasectomy or ways around the age limit for sterilisation but not sure which forum to post in?
Zacky was born June 26th 2011
Pip was born October 17th 2012
Spencer was born 5th August 2013 (6 weeks early)
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:55 pm 
Post subject:
i found this on the NHS website

Quote:
Who can have it done?

Almost any woman can be sterilised. However, sterilisation should only be considered by women who do not want any more children, or do not want children at all. Once you are sterilised it is very difficult to reverse the process, so it's important to consider the other options available before making your decision. Sterilisation reversal is not usually available on the NHS.

Surgeons are more willing to perform sterilisation when women are over 30 years old and have had children, although some younger women who have never had a baby choose it.

it doesnt say anything about age restrictions, and as you already have 4 children, i think they would take you more seriously. Not sure how old you are, but if your only in your early 20's you may feel different in 5-10 years, so I would have a serious think about it.

kayleyfluffybabyBUM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 pm 
Post subject:
I'm 22 and have asked and been turned down at the time I was 21 with three children, I knew then that I didn't want any more and they said they wont so it until I'm 35 (this pregnancy wasn't planned my contraception failed me) I knew after my three I didn't want another so it's safe to say I won't change my mind in the future. A cousin of mine also looked into it when she was 25 and they refused her too.
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:33 pm 
Post subject:
Sorry but I cant believe the mentality of some doctors. When I had my daughter I was 24 and the doctor said they were trying to get more people in my situation (under 25 she meant but came across nasty) onto the implant to reduce the number of pregnancys. Yet you ask to be steralised and they say no.

I would try another doctor.

kayleyfluffybabyBUM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:47 pm 
Post subject:
I was on the implant when I conceived this time around! They're trying to push me to get the coil but I've heard of so many horror stories and I just know I don't want any more. I don't want another accident in a couple of months/years. I know there's still a risk of accidents after sterilisation but it significantly reduces the risk so in my opinion its the only option I have yet my dr just won't accept it. Thank you, I'l definitely speak to a different dr.
123babycakes
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
If they won't treat you, why doesn't your OH get a vasectomy?

It's a 20 minute procedure. You'll need to wait 3 months before he gets his sperm counted, then assuming all tests are as expected you need not worry anymore!

My OH has just had the procedure. I had two pretty horrible births, and nasty tears, and couldn't face anymore tinkering with my bits and pieces Laughing . When we discussed it he agreed that it was least he could do after watching what I had been through. We were both VERY certain that we don't want any more children.

15.08.09 Gone but never forgotten
An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth, then whispered as she closed the book "Too beautiful for Earth"
kayleyfluffybabyBUM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:03 pm 
Post subject:
We're trying to look in to both options at the minute. we were in the process of talking both through when we first found out about this pregnancy. Since finding out it's taken a back burner but as I'm over half way though and have a history of early labours I want to gather as much info on both before birth. My partner has agreed to a vasectomy but he's not to good with getting seen to also I'm having an operation shortly after birth and was told apparently they would do them both at once if they looked past my age so I thought it would be easier to do it that way as I'l be recovering during that time without the sterilisation anyway. Sorry if any of that doesn't make sense I'm quite tired.
RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:10 pm 
Post subject:
I posted something similar a few weeks ago.. It is something I'm thinking about too.. My oh is point blank refusing to get a vasectomy.. He wont even go to the gp when hes ill.. Age is the biggest issue for me too, the only information I can find online points to them wanting you to be over 30.. I'm only 23(almost 24).. I intenf to talk to my gp about it at my 6 weeks check x
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 pm 
Post subject:
I'm going to ask at the hospital when they ask my my discharge questions and if that gets me no where I'l ask my nurse and GP at my 6 week check (i have to have two one routine post baby check, one to get the all clear for my other opp) so hopefully they'll realise I'm serious
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:43 am 
Post subject:
Before going into something as permanent as sterilisation I'd read the reversals section, I know it might feel unfair that your GP doesn't want to help you with this but so many people regret it I can see why they'd discourage you from doing it at a young age , there are lots of women in the reversal section desperate for another child after being sterilised in their twenties , many of them were certain at the time that it was what they wanted, but you really never know how you'll feel in the future and although reversals are possible, they do have to be paid for at a cost of many thousands and are often not successful.
In 10 yrs time you might be with a new partner who doesn't have children Question You never know what's around the corner.
I had 4 children by the time I was 23 and at the time it was very hard ,luckily no one ever suggested it to me then as I might have been tempted and I know I would have regretted it later, as I ended up divorced and later remarried , and had 2 more children with my husband .
I struggled with finding reliable contraception then but things have moved on now so there's almost always something that works , I found the mini pill was better than the combined and the injection was good as well.
Sadly I allowed myself to be pushed into being sterilised during a section with my last and I can honestly say I didn't realise the impact it would have Sad
Far from being a relief to not have to use contraception, I felt less of a woman, suffered horrible depression, hated my body as I felt it was "broken" and went off sex completely , as your ovaries actually have the same blood supply as your tubes you can have physical symptoms after as well which can include the death of the ovaries and premature menopause at the most severe end , if you look up post tubal ligation syndrome it explains more.
After 8yrs of feeling like that we decided to save for a reversal which I had in 2010 , sadly it didn't work and almost 3yrs on after several ops and trying everything we could think of I haven't been able to get pregnant and my only tube is blocked again, I took my fertility for granted when I had it, I would fall pregnant at the drop of a hat , sometimes I almost resented being so fertile Confused , but I can say now I have the label of being infertile that is so so much worse .
The pain of trying to get pregnant and it not happening is something you can't imagine unless you've been there , I wouldn't wish it on anyone Sad
If there's any contraception methods you haven't tried yet I'd give those a go first and wait until this baby is a bit older, as women who are most likely to regret it are those who have it done either during a section or soon after a birth x
kayleyfluffybabyBUM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 pm 
Post subject:
I tried for my eldest for 10 months after my miscarriage each negative or AF tore me apart. 6 months after my eldest was born I was diagnosed with severe PCOS after 6 months of no AF and continuous BFN's and told it was unlikely I would conceive naturally again. 7 months later I found out I was 8 weeks pregnant. Although I don't truly know how hard unsuccessfully trying for a long period of time is I do know what it's like to be told you can't have children and that heartbreak each BFN causes. Since having my second my fertility seems to have gone in to hyper drive. I had the injection from 13 to 14 (forced by my dad who didn't believe I was sexually inactive) I received a letter shortly after my 14th birthday saying that this was no longer an option for me due to increased risk of osteoparosis (sp?) because of my age and having it over a certain amount of time. I've now conceived twice on the implant (I was 2 1/2 years through my first implant when I conceived my mc) and I know that I'm useless at remembering pills. Due to my weight and BMI most things like patches etc are not available to me leaving only the coil which neither me nor my partner feel comfortable with for various reasons.
I feel for you, I really do but there are also health issues that mean I shouldn't be putting any strain on a knee which was operated on when I was 16 I've already risked it by having my children and this pregnancy has caused huge problems with it Sad neither I nor my consultant think my knee will withstand another pregnancy Sad
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:47 am 
Post subject:
I think your o/h should go for vasectomy its certainly the easiest of the 2 and really its the least he could do for you seeing as youre the one that has to do child birth Smile
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:28 am 
Post subject:
One thing I would say about vasectomy is its even harder to reverse than sterilisation, and if it fails then you'd need IVF with surgical sperm retrieval which is not always possible and a bigger expense again, plus men can develop sperm anti bodies that kill off their own sperm. I can see why you wouldn't want to get pregnant again now, but honestly there's a massive difference between feeling like you don't want anymore and knowing its not possible, I know some women are perfectly happy with their decision after being sterilised but the younger you are the more likely you are to regret it in the future , so I'd ask for counselling before making a decision, the NHS are supposed to provide it beforehand anyway but in reality they often don't .
There's a new type of contraceptive injection which doesn't increase your risk of osteoporosis its called Noristerat and it lasts 8 weeks at a time , might be worth looking into as a short term measure Question , I know just being pregnant and all the discomforts that come with it and the first few weeks of sleepless nights etc. have most women saying never again , I know I did a few times Laughing , but it might be worth giving it a few months after the birth just to let the hormones settle and to be sure its not just a knee jerk reaction Question Some docs now won't do sterilisations or vasectomies while a woman is pregnant or in the first 6 weeks after the birth just because you're also more likely to regret it if done then Question xx
Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:43 am 
Post subject:
I know someone who was recently sterilised at 23 after 3 children and someone at 29 for a vasectomy.

It depends on your reasons/circumstances. I think you both should think long and hard because who knows what the future holds, you may feel differently in the future.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular