Babysitters?

dizzylamb
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:21 pm 
Post subject: Babysitters?
Hello Ladies, I was wondering if anybody uses a babysitter and how much they pay them?
Amy has been to my mums when we've been out before or to her dads but as her dad is being an idiot at the moment and my mum is away when we have plans in a few weeks I'm looking down the babysitter route.
My friend who I have known since I was a kid has a daughter age 16 and they only live round the corner so I know she will have her parents close by should there be any emergency. So I feel comfortable that she will be a great babysitter to have on hand but I have no idea what money to offer her. I asked her mum and she says she has no idea either - any idea???
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:22 am 
Post subject:
I used to get given £20-£30 when I used to babysit about 15 years ago. That was for 3 children though. They tended to give me more the later (and drunker) they were.

x

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:00 am 
Post subject:
it depends on how long you are going to need her for, I would say about £20.

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:22 am 
Post subject:
Depends on how long youre going to be guess, have to say I must be a bit tight because Id pay £10 to a 16 year old lol
Guru Member
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:29 am 
Post subject:
I was thinking about £15 for a "normal" night out, say 7 or 8 til midnight with Amy being either already in bed or ready for bed - Do you think that's enough?
But the one night I really need a babysitter for is a concert and the gates open at 4pm so I think we will be going about 3pm and no idea what time we'll get home, should be before midnight though. As Amy will be awake and she will need to give her tea and get her ready for bed I was thinking about £30. I did some googling and babysitters charge anything from £10 a night to £10 an hour!!
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 am 
Post subject:
My stepsister babysits a few times a week when I am working. We tend to try and give her about £30 for the day but when money is tight we give her money to take herself, her bf and Flick out for dinner Smile
I suppose its different with family than outside sitters?

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:01 pm 
Post subject:
Izzys godmother's daughter babysits for us and we pay her £5 an hour.
Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:28 pm 
Post subject:
I have had one of the nursery nurse's that Emilia adores from her nursery and she generally charges £6 an hour. We were out 3 hours and I would have given her £20 for the evening anyway. X x

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:58 am 
Post subject:
I used to babysit 3 young children all in bed from about 8- midnight for £20! Usually more for taxi as i was 16 and lived more than a walking distance. X
Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 pm 
Post subject:
depends where in the country you are, for a babysitter from my sons nursery they charge up to £8 an hour which I believe is pretty standard. Wouldn't expect to pay a family friend that much though.

Maybe a way to look at it is what is the minimum wage these days as if they were working thats what they would get paid Smile

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 am 
Post subject:
Hi. We have a 17 year old look after our 2 (she was 16 when she started) and we pay her Euro 5 an hour - that was her price, not ours. I usually give her a small tip as well - just round off whatever the total is, or if she is 15 min late etc.. I don't dock her.
She is great with the kids.
I normally have her come at 6pm once kids have been fed, she plays with them, puts them in pj's, bottle and bed later. Next week we will have her as of 5pm as we need to travel far to our dinner plans. So she will have to feed them.
Our other babysitters have been Euro per hour and I just can't afford that - plus a night out... She is inexpensive and really good with the kids. I do leave her a written list of what she must do though. She likes this. I get overwhelmed at times with the kids, so I can imagine what it must be like for her. xxx

Lindseylou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
I used to look after 3 kids and they were as young as 4 year up to 11 years and for a evening I used to have £20 - £30 depending on if they went over midnight and how early I had to get there by. This was year ago though.

But I do know a friend who has a baby sitter now has her charging £10 per hour but has all the relevant checks and said she was very good. I think she looked online at some babysitting website. Hope this helps.
dizzylamb
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:45 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for all your replies Smile We decided on £20 for a "normal" evening, say 7-12 ish and she was happy with that but we went to the Bon Jovi concert on Saturday so she had her from 4pm and we didn't get home until about 1am so we gave her £40 which she was over the moon with but I thought it was worth every penny as Amy has really taken to her and she's a lovely girl Very Happy

Jump to:  

Community

Popular