Difficult bedtimes.

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:21 pm 
Post subject: Difficult bedtimes.
Recently she has become really unsettled at bedtime, not wanting to go to bed and being really clingy (similar to when she has teeth coming - however I cant see/feel anymore at the mo). I am keeping her bedtime routine the same and she hasnt changed her daytime naps hugely.

So I'm unsure if I need to change sometime or if there is something else going on? Her day goes like this:

5-6am: wake up for milk, (sometimes she'll have another nap and others she'll stay awake)
7-8: cuddle in bed
8.30: breakfast
10 am: milk and nap (between 40 mins and an hour)
12-1pm: have lunch
3pm: milk and a nap (between 40 mins and an hour)
5-6pm: dinner
6-6.30pm: bath
7pm : milk and bed (at the moment she is either: refusing to go to bed in the first place, or waking up after 30 mins-1 hour and refusing to go back to sleep!)

She very active during the day (she trying her damnest to crawl) mentally and physically. Any idea?
Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 pm 
Post subject:
Its the trying to crawl hun. Its a big developmental leap and each time they come hip to a milesdtyone it can cause them tho be less settled last bedtime as their iclkje brains work so based tho process the new skill they aster learning.

Keep on as are, am sure she'll settle dfoiwn again soon.

Mandyx
Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:43 pm 
Post subject:
we had this problem with Lola and tried everything!
I found that giving her a short 40 minute-1 hour nap each morning after breakfast, then putting her down for a nap after lunch for however long she lasted (in her pram to differentiate from bedtime)and then i'd put her down at 6:30pm
I'm not sure where your little one sleeps but Lola wont sleep in the bedroom with me any longer, she was ready for her own room Sad
good luck xx
Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
I did wonder, she's a very petite 7 1/2 month old but well developed for her age (what a proud mummy I sound! Laughing ) Obviously it is hard to know when they'll have the strength to crawl properly but she is trying sooooo hard! I almost feel sorry for her Very Happy

I think I'm just a bit stressed about it cause I have to go back to work full time for 7 weeks after half term and I'm worried that I wont be able to get all my work done in the evenings if she's like this. Normally I just let her get on with it until she returns to her normal routines (though I've always known it was her teeth before)

Thanks for the heads up! (she went to bed at 8.30 tonight after A LOT of overtired grizzling and mummy cuddles - so not that bad but very unsettled Sad ) Hopefully it will pass soon. x
Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:58 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Hayley,if we're at home she naps in her bedroom, as well as sleeping in there at bedtime (she sometimes comes in with me for a feed at 5-6 am)

She is not a very good sleeper during the day and wont be 'put down' for a nap unless she really wants it. Unfortunately this means I cant really determine her naps times (except to encourage/discourage), I dont let her nap after 4pm unless it cant be helped (when ur in the car) otherwise her bedtime is thrown off completely! I know people say there is no such thing as a bad sleeper and all babies need their sleep but I cant seem to get her to sleep as much as the recommended amount! (I gave up trying to enforce naps!!)

Her sleep pattern is always the first thing to change/get disturbed when she has teeth/growth spurt etc - so I reckon I'm going to have to lump it! Laughing
Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
I know it could be expensive but if you're struggling try to google a sleep expert? Chantelle Houghton recently claimed she used one as her little girl dolly wouldn't sleep xx
Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:43 pm 
Post subject:
Something to think about but I think I've just been spoilt really and am now moaning about her being a bit difficult.

She slept from 8.30 last night til 6am this morning and has had a 2 1/2 hour nap today so I'm not sure if I can really complain about that! Even when she has been refusing to go to bed, she will eventually fall asleep (before 10pm) and stay in her bed until 5-6am.

As I said I just wasnt really sure if I was missing the cue to change something in my routine to help her go to bed. I think I'll definitely stick to my guns and see if she goes back to her normal sleeping routine, if she doesnt I may be back on asking for ideas! Laughing
Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with the develpomental leap withcrawling etc, but its also amprime time for seperation anxiety. Do you think that may be a factor, especially as you mentioned the clinginess?!
Im sure she'll grow out of it soon enough, but just offer reassurance and cuddles when needed Smile
Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:24 pm 
Post subject: As
It could be but she's so inconsistent! LOL, sometimes she'll be okay and others be clingy. Tonight she went to bed at 7pm no probs, then woke at 8 and was awake for an hour before going to bed again. No grizzling, no tears. Who knows what's going on! Very Happy

I did try the pu/pd technique a couple of nights ago and that was horrendous (she got in a right tizz), so I'm just cuddling her til she's ready for bed again! Fx it's just a phase!
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:35 pm 
Post subject:
Your schedule is great! As mentioned before, the thing that's getting in the way is her learning to crawl. It just kind of messes up everything else on the schedule, but she should be back on track as soon as she gets good at it. Best of luck!
--------------------------------------------
Julie
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular