ok, I know I shouldn't worry but....

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:28 pm 
Post subject: ok, I know I shouldn't worry but....
Tom is 12 weeks old tomorrow, and hungry *constantly*, likes to feed about every 2.5 hours, although overnight can go upto 7 hours at times before he wants a feed. Anyway, over the last fornight he has put on about 1.5lb's, thats like what they are supposed to do in a month, not a fortnight.

The HV said she wasn't too worried as he doesn't look fat and is on 91st percentile for height and 95th percentile for his head, weight currently about 85th percentile.

BUT........ this sounds like a HUGE weight gain to me, before this his weight gains have been about 4 or 5 oz a week which is pretty average.

Does anyone else have babies gaining such huge amounts?

It will be interesting to see if its just a growth spurt (as I know they have one at about 3 months), because he now weighs over 15lbs Shocked He was 8 13lb when born so not small Smile He has seemed to be awfully fussy and wanting even more feeds this last week or so.

Kell83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:47 pm 
Post subject:
Charlie was a real food monster, I remember once he put on 16oz in a week, for quite some time he put on 1lb a week!! I honestly wouldn't be worried, as soon as he starts moving about the gains will slow down alot!
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:56 pm 
Post subject:
I think he sounds absolutely fine. George was on the 9th centile for weight when he was born, they didn't measure his height. He jumped up those centiles whilst being solely breastfed until weaning at 6 months and by then he was over the 50th. At his 15 month check he was on 98th centile for weight and 95th for height. if the HV isn't worried then don't you worry.xx
Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:53 am 
Post subject:
I remember Sam had a large weight gain around 3 months, she jumped up a centile. But it was also arpund that time we put her on hungry milk as she massively increased her feeds.

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:16 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't worry about it. Jamie never went more than 2 hours between a feed and at one point was putting on 3lb every two weeks. He shot right off the top of the charts (was 20lb at four months) but was exclusively bf so they kept telling me I couldn't overfeed him. He has come back onto the charts though.

juliebarns
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't worry like it says in your title. I have already had two kids that would eat constantly and I was always worried about their weight, but they turned out just fine. I wouldn't worry at all if you can help it. Best of luck!
--------------------------------------
Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular