8 month old wakes at night to breast feed, best way to stop?

BooboosMom
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:23 am 
Post subject: 8 month old wakes at night to breast feed, best way to stop?
My 8 month old breastfed baby wakes 2-3 times per night to eat. At 6 months he slept through the night 3 or 4 nights, then started waking again. For the past 2 months he's been waking two or three times per night to eat. As soon as he's eaten he falls right to sleep. If I don't feed him he SCREAMS until I do. He sleeps in his crib in his own room (has since 3 months). I put him to bed awake, and don't breast feed to sleep. During the day he takes 3 naps and eats every 2 hours. He eats two or three solid meals as well. He has not started teething or crawling yet. He does take a pacifier when I first put him down, but doesn't fuss if it falls out, and frequently pulls it out himself. I want to get more sleep, so what's the best way, to wean him from the night feelings one at a time, or go cold turkey & let him cry it out? Sometimes I can get him to go back to sleep (without feeding), and sometimes he just SCREAMS to get fed. What has worked best for you Moms & Dads?
gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
Well it doiesnt sound like he should need that many feeds at night if eating so well in the day. I had this at ten months still and was exhausted so decided cold turkey. And out worked, although he still has a feed at 5 am.

What I did was refuse to feed, offered water instead, would not get out of cot and pat till went back to sleep. He got it quite quickly after only a couple of days.

Hope u get there soon

Mandy xx
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:05 am 
Post subject:
I had exactly the same thing with Lily at 8month's, I went cold turkey, I was actually quite surprised how well she did, it's horrible hearing them upset but the first night she woke twice and settled herself very quickly and after that she only woke once at around 4/5. I fed her then and she slept till around 8. We've taken a small back step recently because of illnes and teething so I need to do it again really.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular