Honest opinions

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:10 pm 
Post subject: Honest opinions
Do you think its weird to give an English child a japanese name? I have no japanese heritage but I have fallen in love with a name just from the wsy it looks but its japanese and sounds very unusual lol but I just think it's so pretty. I picked avas name thinking it was unusual but it became very popular. I cant see this being used by everyone but is it also unfair for one child (my first) to have a common name (that's german) and have another with a very very unusual name thats Japanese..? I feel like im taking a risk if I do it.. xx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:30 pm 
Post subject:
If it is a very obvious japenese name then yes I do think it is. Really depends on the name I think.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:10 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with nutty I think if its an obvious japanese name I think it would be a bit odd but obviously there are no rules when it comes to choosing a name and its completely your choice but I would think long & hard for your child with a very different name when she is growing up, especially with things like bullying. Kids can be so cruel.

Im intrigued with what name u are thinking???!!!!! Can u divulge anymore??!!!! Xx

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:13 pm 
Post subject:
Its Ayame. I just love the way it looks and I love the meaning. It means japanese iris which is a very symbolic flower. As for unusual names mine is Ailsa and ive never met another but I was never bullied but thats defo crossed my mind as youre right some kids can be nasty.

I just find all the English/normal names to be either too dull, too old fasioned or too popular. Plus im too fussy.

I picked ava thinking it was rare and im gutted there is an ava in her playgroup. I assume that with this name nobody else will have it. Although its very unusual I think its pretty. Where as with my name, its ugly and unusual. The meaning of my name is rubbish too lol but I dont mind it too much just hate being asked if im polish upon meeting strangers.. or midwuves calling me alison or aleshia Laughing but thats just irritating rather than offensive xx

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:59 pm 
Post subject:
The only thing I'd say is how is it pronounced, can you type how its pronounced, ie is it I-ame, is it Amy? Only reason I ask is you don't want it to sound too similar too Ava.

The other thing to remember is if its very unusal, noone will know how to spell it, and I can assure you, that its VERY VERY annoying having to spell out your name every time someone asks you for it, and I have a pretty common name, but both my forename and surname can be spelt in a multitude of ways and everyone asks how to spell both halves, even when I get married my married name also is going to cause issues Sad

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:06 pm 
Post subject:
Yeh my name is ailsa so I get the whole 'how do you spell that' or I get called Alison, alishia etc because people cant seem to read Laughing

Ayame is pronounced ah-ya-may/mee.. so could be shortened to may or mimi. The only other name I like is aimee, or amellie (french for Emily) lol really want to keep the 'a' theme as we are all a's Embarassed Laughing xx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:10 pm 
Post subject:
Not keen on it myself, Amelie is lovely.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:13 pm 
Post subject:
See I do like amelie but not love it as I worry she woukd get called amelia and for me personally I find that name so tacky. I think its a toss between aimee and ayame Question never thought picking a name would be so difficult xx

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 pm 
Post subject:
I love Amelie but I was worried about how people would pronounce it. I also really liked Ava for Shannah but now it's become so popular that I'm glad I didn't (no offence). I don't think that name sounds too crazy at all but I do think it sounds a bit like... when somebody tries to take a normal name and changes the spelling to make it different? That would be the part that puts me off. I think if I had another girl I would choose Amelie.

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
I think for me its important she has a unique name. Its what I wanted for ava. I dont want my girls to go to schook with other girls with the same name. Although I used to hate having a weird name I love it now as its a great conversation starter. Ive never been bullied or anything the onky annoying thing is when I have to keep spelking it and re pronounced it for people Laughing xx

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 pm 
Post subject:
I have a weird name too and I like it although it is a pain trying to scream it at people over music when I first meet them when on a night out or something. I went through a stage of just telling them my name was Sarah Laughing

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 pm 
Post subject:
dellabobella wrote:
I love Amelie but I was worried about how people would pronounce it. I also really liked Ava for Shannah but now it's become so popular that I'm glad I didn't (no offence). I don't think that name sounds too crazy at all but I do think it sounds a bit like... when somebody tries to take a normal name and changes the spelling to make it different? That would be the part that puts me off. I think if I had another girl I would choose Amelie.

No offence taken.. I agree its far too common now. Thays why I like the name ayame because I know it wont trend Laughing pkus its meaning is beautiful. It basically means a flower (the japanese iris) that represents wisdom, courage, trust and valor. Just so powerful.

Im so fussy ive seen names I really like but the meanings are too boring and dont have much history. Reading the history of the meaning of ayame makes me feel quite proud to name her that. I didnt realise it earlier but my ohs unckes name is japanese and so is his cousins Laughing

I honestly never found choosing avas name so difficult lol xx

3girliesandababyboy
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun, I personally think it's a beautiful name Smile
Good luck x

m/c May 2012
m/c September 2012
m/c October 2012
XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:19 am 
Post subject:
3girliesandababyboy wrote:
Hi hun, I personally think it's a beautiful name Smile
Good luck x

Ahhh thank you so much. I think im going to go with it. It will take getting used to as its so unusual but I want something a little different. I know if I called her something to keep others happy I would regret it and feel forced into calling my baby something I didnt have my heart set on. The way I see it is its the first name me and oh both like (and the first name I love) so thats all that matters. There will be people that love it and people that hate it. My friend called her baby story and I think thats more unusual.. if she can get away with it then surely I can Laughing xx

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:10 am 
Post subject:
My actual name is Angharad and, living in the midlands, rather than Wales I have had years of it being mis spelt, pronounced badly, I got a fair amount of grief at school and I now don't really use it, other than with immediate family. We're the same - I don't want a common name but I would never want my child to have the experience I did. There's a lot to be said for a name that is recognisable but still not common. It's worth bearing in mind - I'm very aware that this baby had to deal with this name for the rest of their life and individual and unique is good. But my experience of it wasn't great ( I'm not scarred for life - I just got fed up of spelling it and correcting people's pronunciation) and it changed how I viewed naming my babies. If you like it, go for it!
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular