Newborn routine

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 pm 
Post subject: Newborn routine
Our baby girl is one week old today, and I don't know if what we're doing is right.

She tends to sleep most of the morning then have a feed about 2pm, then sleep some more. But from about 5pm onwards she is really grumpy and the only thing to stop her screaming is feeding her. She makes all the right signs to show she's hungry, but I can't believe she can feed so much. She will feed for about 10-15 minutes then fall asleep at the breast, then 15 minutes later wake up screaming again. This can go on until 1am, then she'll sleep right through till 6am. It makes putting her down in the evenings impossible.

For years I've always said I'd be strict on routine and wouldn't 'create' a clingy baby. Am i just expecting too much too soon? Do we just let her lead for now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all, love her to bits, just not sure if what am doing is right.

xx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldnt worry to much about right and wrong, every baby is different and you know her best.

What I would say is that babies need a certain amount of food and if she's not really feeding during the day she might be cluster feeding in the evening to make up for it. Its fab that she goes through the night so well already but she needs enough milk to help her do that and cluster feeding is prepping her for that long time without food.

If it were me, I would try to space out her daytime food more evenly to see if she is more content in the evening.

As to the feeding and falling asleep, that is pretty normal. They only have little tummies and sucking is quite hard work when they are small. You could try gently waking her to encourage her to have some more so she is full for longer.

I doubt you can create a clingy baby at this stage, just give her what she needs; however remember than you can manipulate their routines to make it suit you better too. Very Happy

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:49 pm 
Post subject:
you definately are not creating a clingy baby yet, at 1 week old they are still getting used to being outside of you and need lots of mummy time.

Both my 2 were like this for the first 3 weeks or so and then slowly it got easier. Having said that my 10 week old still has a fussy time between 4.30 and 8/9pm which is a nightmare when I'm on my own trying to put the toddler to bed.

I have learnt with my second that if I really need to do something like go for a wee or whatever, then baby has to cry for a few minutes, we are only human and can't do everything at once.

I agree 'try' and get baby to feed more in the day, but don't try and force it, as hard as it is now it does get easier slowly.

good luck, you ARE doing a fab fab job, xxx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:02 pm 
Post subject:
Absolutely - I really wouldnt expect a 'routine' at this point. Let baby lead you as to what she wants/needs but don't worry if that means you're feeding non stop some days, its not possible for you to be doing it wrong if you are meeting your baby's needs. Some days that will be cuddles and milk all day! Frankie still has days like that!

Laughing

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:22 pm 
Post subject:
George was small and jaundice and midwife said to try and make sure he fed at least every 2 - 4 hours but other than that I was lead by him. Was also told to blow in his face if he fell asleep and I didn't think he'd had his full but it didn't really work.

I always thought I'd be strict and not constantly pick them up etc but in reality in was completely different once he arrived. When he was a couple of weeks old I was sat cuddling him whilst he slept and HV came round and said it was nice to see a newborn where it should be/

I don't think you can 'spoil them' especially at this age. I wish I'd appreciated it for what it was a bit more and not just spent the whole time worrying.
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:04 pm 
Post subject:
I didnt have a routine for ava until she was 5 months. She was always cuddled, always fedbon demand and we co slept and she is not clingy at all. I wish sje was as im very clingy with people i love. Shes jusy like her dad Laughing extremely independent! Just go with it amd enjoy it as it doesnt last long. Dont stress about routine just yet. Congrats again!! Xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:12 pm 
Post subject:
First of all congrats!! Smile
i agree that a routine wont be established until around 6-8 weeks! If you do want to try and get her to feed on your time though strip her odd when she's falling asleep and it will helepe her to fill her tummy Smile i think the one thing that made Lola a good sleeper and not clingy is putting her in her cot awake each night, beat thing i ever didxx
Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 am 
Post subject:
Dont worry at all at this age i think they just want comfort. Travis was the same and i couldnt put him down. Like you i was worried i wasnt doing ut right. Its so easy to come up with rights and wrongs when you are pg but when they are here it is so different! Every baby is different and at this age they jyst want comfort and reassurance. Just do what feels best for your baby. I am sure u are doing a fab job xxx

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:02 am 
Post subject:
Thank you everyone. Glad to hear it's all normal, and I will certainly enjoy cuddling and feeding her Smile

xxx

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:13 pm 
Post subject:
Have you tried playing white noise during the times you would like her to nap? I absolutely swear by it and recommend it to everybody. There is a video on youtube called something like 12 hours of vacuuming and during the night I would play it. It's like magic. As for routine you'll settle into your own way of doing things soon I'm sure even if it's not something strictly by the book. I have never had an actual bed time for my children before they are a good few months old. I would always feed them as needed but as close to 3/4 hours as possible during the day then in the evening I'd give a feed before I wanted to go to bed myself then put them in their moses basket or cot with white noise on and go to sleep until they woke up next or my alarm went off for the next feed if they are very young.

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:27 pm 
Post subject:
A proper 'routine' takes weeks to kick in - like 6 weeks or so so don't worry about it! Smile She is so utterly gorgeous by the way hun - many congrats again and again! Smile

I used to rub Samuel's feet when he fed in the evening to keep him a bit more awake so that he fed properly rather than 10-15mins then sleep then wake etc - just a hint that the midwife told me... rubbing their feet is a stimulator for feeding and encourages them to carry on feeding even though they are sleepy and dozey - it might just make the time spent feeding less for you as it'll be less spread out with the napping in between short bursts! The other tip was to feed for a 10-20mins, then burp them/change nappy, then feed again to again, wake them up a bit so they feed properly rather than sleep-snacking xxx

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:55 pm 
Post subject:
congratulations! scarlett has only just started settling into a proper routine now and she is 14 weeks. i think the first couple of months are mainly about them learning how to adjust to the outside world. luckily she has always slept better at night and since 6 weeks old has neber really slept much in the day. she now goes down about half 8 sleept through until about 6 has a bottle and then back to sleep until about half 8.your doing great well done x

[/url]
dessydell
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:08 am 
Post subject:
During your baby's first 3 months, breast milk or formula will provide all the nutrition needed. Your infant also will become more alert as the weeks progress, starting to coo and developing a social smile. So there will probably be more interaction between you and your baby during feeding.
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 pm 
Post subject:
Raspich wrote:
I wouldnt worry to much about right and wrong, every baby is different and you know her best.

What I would say is that babies need a certain amount of food and if she's not really feeding during the day she might be cluster feeding in the evening to make up for it. Its fab that she goes through the night so well already but she needs enough milk to help her do that and cluster feeding is prepping her for that long time without food.

If it were me, I would try to space out her daytime food more evenly to see if she is more content in the evening.

As to the feeding and falling asleep, that is pretty normal. They only have little tummies and sucking is quite hard work when they are small. You could try gently waking her to encourage her to have some more so she is full for longer.

I doubt you can create a clingy baby at this stage, just give her what she needs; however remember than you can manipulate their routines to make it suit you better too. Very Happy

I don't think that I could have said it better. You are the one that knows her best, and when it comes to babies and other living things, most of the time there isn't a right or wrong answer so just go with your best judgement! Best of luck!
--------------------------------------------
Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular