trying to loss weight before surgery

lisab36
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 pm 
Post subject: trying to loss weight before surgery
I know loosing weight is straight forward but i am truly struggling. If you have any suggestions i am happy to hear them? I need to loose 1.5 to 2 stones in 11 weeks, i have increased exercise and on a health diet but my weight is stuck at 16.7 stones. Help
Quote:
Kell83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:43 pm 
Post subject:
It's difficult to know how to help, have a look at how many calories you should be consuming and work from there, myfitnesspal is a great app that gives you all the info you need on that front.
What sort of exercise are you doing? Cardio is best for weightless.
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:12 am 
Post subject:
Losing weight isn't as easy as a lot of people would have you believe Rolling Eyes Especially over 35 . Kells idea is a good one, find out how many calories you actually need, some good online fitness sites will tailor it to your level of activity and your exact age etc. I recently did mine and found out my calories should be 1750 Shocked for my age and build , that's just at normal activity levels so nowhere near the "average" of 2,000 Sad Laughing .That was done when I weighed about 11 stone, being heavier means you actually need to burn more calories just to do the same daily task so to start with that's an advantage as far as weight loss goes, the more you lose the less calories you need so it's either cut back more on calories or up the exercise.
So basically to lose a lb you need a deficit of 3,500 calories over a week, to lose 2 you'd need 7,000 and so on, if your calories needed in a day came in at 2,500 to stay the same weight, then by eating only 1,000 a day you could lose 2 lbs a week without changing anything else, with exercise as well (pretty strenuous activity) you could maybe get that up to 3lbs a week Smile
I've recently lost 18lbs and its been a struggle, some weeks I only lost a lb and it took me 12 weeks to do it, but I found it easier this time than I have before because I did some research and found a "diet" that works for me, I say "diet" cos its not lettuce leaves and shakes its just adapting my normal diet to the Low GI diet way of doing things and keeping a food diary , that's been invaluable , I also started to weigh things to find out how big these "portion sizes" were that they quote on things and found out they're pretty tiny Rolling Eyes so when I thought I was eating the right amount before I wasn't Rolling Eyes Laughing Low GI is dead simple its just all the higher fibre lower sugar versions of things, like wholegrain breads, wholemeal pasta , brown rice etc. and avoiding simple carbs like crisps and chips and white bread , we swapped sweet potatoes for normal ones and stuff like that , there's loads of free info online and best of all it keeps your blood sugars stable so you don't get food cravings and as a woman its great for your hormonal balance, in fact its even cured some women of the symptoms of PCOS Smile
For exercise you can do quickly look up HIIT training , its short burst of high intensity exercise , its a killer but you can do in 20 minutes what would take an hour at a slower pace (great for me cos I HATE exercise so the sooner its over the better Laughing )Swimming for the the feel good factor and general toning and for me nothing beats the cross trainer for toning bum thighs and stomach which sadly is where all my fat settles these days Rolling Eyes I have no will power but the low GI is the easiest thing I've ever done , combined with a food diary so I can't cheat on the calories and exercise 5 days a week its done the trick for me , try not to set your goal to high though 1-2lbs a week is a good loss you can keep up long term Smile xx
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:20 am 
Post subject:
What also helps me is trying to have my dinner (evening meal) between 17:00 - 18:00. No later than 18:00! And then no snacking later. That alone helped me to drop weight. I was always eating at 20:00 with hubby after kids were in bed. Now during week I eat early and on the weekends I eat late together with hubby. Good luck! xxx

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:11 pm 
Post subject:
Dieting IS hard and its the hidden sugars/fat that get us. I've now lost 9.5 lbs in 4 weeks and this is how I did it:-

1. 3/4 of plate is speed foods (ie veg or fruit)
2. NOTHING is fried, covered in breadcrumbs, dressing etc
3. Makes swaps, ie Splenda for sugar, full fat drinks for low cal drinks, low fat creme fraiche for cream etc
4. make sure you eat enough, sounds stupid when you want to loose weight, however if you don't eat enough your body goes into starvation mode and you will put weight on when you eat as it stored the food for fat for energy later when you 'starve' again.
5. Increase your intake of - Berries (ie strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc), melon (excluding water melon), mushy peas, TINNED tomatoes, fish.
6. Drink LOTS of water.

You should aim to lose 1-2lb per week that way it should stay off.

michelletv
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:03 am 
Post subject:
dont know any quick tip diets but i know there is a diet for people who have to lose quickly for heart surgery, but i am not sure if its only available here in SA or there as well.
good luck with the diet, i hope it goes well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular