Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 pm
Post subject: Who do I speak to?
My midwife isn't particularly helpful. I should have had an appointment last Wednesday at 39+1 but had to cancel it as we had to rush my horse to the Veterinary Hospital. I phoned her up to speak to her and explained and she was fine and I told her what the consultant had said at my growth scan which was at 38 weeks. She said that the baby was about 8lbs 10oz then and that she wouldn't recommend I be allowed to go much past my due date (which is tomorrow). She said to speak to my MW at my next appointment, which is the one I had to miss but I did explain it all to her on phone. I have been monitored all the way through this pregnancy as Isobel was a big baby (10lbs 6oz at 40+2) and I had a post partum haemorage after having her. My midwife has said she will give me a stretch and sweep on Wednesday (when I will be 40+1) and if that doesn't work, she'll book me in for an induction in another 12 days. This seems an awful long time and doesn't seem to fit with what the consultant said. I've said all along that I would rather not have a C section if it can be avoided (obviously, whatevers best, goes!) but I'll be really upset if I have complications etc. because I wasn't booked in quick enough. The consultant has said up until this point that I don't have to have an elective C-section but it is something they are considering.
I don't really know who I should speak to - my feeling is wait until I've had the stretch and sweep and if nothing happens, phone someone but who????!!! Am I faffing over nothing? My OH and my Mum are both concerned but I don't know what to do in this situation!! Any suggestions / advice very gratefully received (even if you think I need to stop wittering, please say so!!!) xxx
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:46 am
I'd ring and ask to speak to your consultants secretary if the stretch and sweep doesn't work and leave a message for her to say the midwife isn't going to book your induction until term plus 12 , chances are you'd go into labour before then and the general consensus seems to be babies don't put on much weight after 40 weeks anyway so you may even find this baby is smaller than your first based on the 38 week weight estimate (they don't always follow much of a pattern weight wise )
But I can see why you have concerns, but as you gave birth naturally last time and the haemorrhage may not have been in anyway related to her size, then I'd say you have a pretty good chance of it all going smoothly this time , inductions actually carry an increased risk of c section if they do them before your body is ready so in some ways waiting for natural labour could be the best option
Stress can have a negative effect on labour starting though, studies have shown that high stress levels can actually stop even established labour contractions for a time, so try to relax it sounds like its been a tough week with losing your horse as well so maybe your body is holding off on labour until things calm down
Perhaps if you speak to the midwife again on Wednesday and explain your concerns she'll see about getting an earlier induction date, I bet term plus 12 is just the norm for your area , really the consultant should have put something in your notes if she wanted it sooner as the midwife might not have the authority to make that decision , Good Luck for Wednesday x