Doggy Question

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:56 am 
Post subject: Doggy Question
We had our lovely girl pts a few days ago. It was sad but she had a wonderful life with us after 2 previous homes.
The house feels empty and we have been talking about another dog. In an ideal world I would have another rescue but I'm not sure this would work as we have an 18month old ds. He is quite good in that he doesn't really pay any attention to family pets although this may change. The other option is a puppy but would that be a bit bonkers too?

If we don't get a dog this year then it will be at least another 3 years. We would like to move now next summer so not a good time then and the year after we would like another baby.

Anyone got any experience to share of rescue/puppies with toddlers .I'd like to add I'm quite experienced with dogs
Kell83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 am 
Post subject:
So sorry to hear of your loss!

don't have experience of rescue dogs but we got Lexi as a puppy, we have also had a litter with her and had 6 puppy around for a little while.
I think toddlers and puppies are fine together so long as you are strict with both!
Puppies are generally very excitable and have been known to knock the kids over, but it was never intentional. When they first wake in the morning you just have to ve a little careful. We just let them into the garden to burn off a little energy!
Also the puppy will need its own space as quite often the kids want to play/climb/poke/ride the dog lol

Weve had labs and a Springer and I found them Both to be very good with the kids/toddlers
Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 am 
Post subject:
This doesn't 100% apply, but, wanted to share my experience. George absolutely adores animals and can be a bit heavy handed sometimes just because he is SO excited to see them, but once that wears off they are like part of the furniture to him. I miss having animals to 5 weeks ago we got a 9 week old kitten. For the first week George was a little OTT as he couldn't believe we'd keep him, picked him up a lot and was very hyper with him etc, but after that they are both best friends and he's never been scratched since the first week. Your George I am sure would adapt the same, whether you got a puppy or a dog, they'd become part of his life just like Lucy was. You obviously had the time and love before to have a dog so nothing has changed xxx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:00 am 
Post subject:
We lost our Charlie last year, he was a big dog and a rescue dog that we had for 5 years before we had babies. He was just lovely but got grumpy with the kiddies in his old age lol. We made sure they respected him and he had his own space.

I badgered for another dog and we searched the local rescues but none would rehome to a home with children under 4. And no puppies came up so in the new year we decided on a springer spaniel, so we have a 3 and 2 year old and a 9 month springer, he is amazing and just fits into family life, we are back out walking every weekend and the kids love him. He was my 1st puppy but has been fab.
I would recommend a crate as our lasr dog didnt have one but jack does and it gives him his own place thats more enclosed than a bed so the kids leave him when he is in there, and I made some new friends at puppy class.xx

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 am 
Post subject:
Our dog Reuben was 2 when we had Isobel and we got Laurie as a puppy when Isobel was just over 1. She's brilliant with animals now as she's grown up round them. I'm actually more wary of her round the cat than I am round the dogs. We've taught her that you don't touch other animals without asking. I wouldn't get a rescue whilst the girls are small as I wouldn't know their history - just wouldn't be worth the risk for me but I'm not that experienced with dogs or rehomes as we had ours from puppies.
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 am 
Post subject:
With having a toddler most dog rescue places will not allow you to have one. As you know Puppies are hard work but if you feel you have the time/energy now then go for it . You are much braver then me i wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog it must be hard.
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 pm 
Post subject:
I had my girlie pts 3 weeks ago Crying or Very sad She was a 16yo lab, miss her soooooo much Crying or Very sad

We are getting another, we are going to go for a puppy, we had tess since she was 8 weeks old and we will do the same again.
I have a 6yo son and a 18month old daughter, but the house isn't the same without a dog. Going to wait afew months though....

That didn't really answer your question did it! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular