Shettles Method...

Beckylouisexx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 am 
Post subject: Shettles Method...
Ladies I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with this method or is it a complete myth? I don't want to come across naive & think it does as surely its 50/50 chance to what sex you have & doesn't matter what you eat your given what your given Question

xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19 am 
Post subject:
I suspect it's pretty much a 50/50 chance no matter what you do for most couples as most men have a roughly 50-50 split of male and female sperm so it really is chance as to which gets there first, plus a woman's tubes can actually keep sperm fed and alive for days and the act of the egg being released wakes them up and they all make a break for it Shocked Laughing so the theory behind abstaining for a few days before ov and then doing it last minute for a boy so the fastest gets there quickest could well be ruined by some girl sperm that have been hanging around in the tubes for days and get a head start to the egg Rolling Eyes Laughing
Similarly with trying the other way and only having sex days before based on female sperm living longer in theory you might have a chance but with the tubes helping to keep them alive you could still have some boy sperm left alive when the egg shows up Question Laughing
I think the reasoning behind the mothers diet is to do with acidity/alkalinity in the vagina and the affect that can have on different sex sperm, but our bodies make ewcm slightly alkaline anyway to help the sperm survive and to protect them as semen is also slightly alkaline and it also helps them swim safely through the cervix and if you did manage to make it more acidic chances are you'd just kill all the sperm off Confused
All I know about it though in a practical sense is that my sister tried all sorts to have a girl and she ended up with 7 boys, I did nothing different with any of mine and had a mix Question
I do think research has shown that some men have more of one sex of sperm than the other which could sway things (and my sisters first hubby was also one of 6 boys Question ) and also if you miscarry your first boy then your body may develop a certain anti body which could make it more difficult for future male embryo's to implant (but that's supposed to be pretty rare )and that overall slightly more boys are born in spring and summer and slightly more girls in autumn and winter theories behind that one include that boys are more susceptible to respiratory issues so that one could be mother natures way of trying to keep a balance Question
I agree with you though and I think there's a 50/50 chance so at least half of the people who try Shettles will get what they wanted and think it's a success Laughing x
Beckylouisexx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:39 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the reply hun. I thought as much with what you said Smile I dont think im going to stress myself out over it. Think im just gonna do what I normally do & let nature take its course & be grateful for whatever I am given (when & if it happens of course Smile) I suppose like with anything, depends on each & every one of us to what we are dominated by. Suppose it will take the fun out of the whole thing trying to plan everything. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes I said to my OH that if we do have a boy again next time round, im willing to try once more for a girl & if still a boy again then will give up lol. xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 am 
Post subject:
I think a lot of people do that don't they , once they get to 3 of one sex they just presume the next will be the same Laughing
I had 3 girls in a row and then a boy though, but I also had a boy first so I knew I could have boys Laughing and my exes mum had a girl then 3 boys in a row and then 3 girls in a row Question Laughing but I suppose you could toss a coin and get 5 heads in a row then all tails and it's the same odds with babies Laughing
The only slight split I noticed was in sex v due dates with mine as my girls were all due between October and February and two of the boys were due May with just one due in November Question
All except one of my sisters 7 boys were due between April and August as well Question and sometimes in the birth clubs there seems to be more of one sex than another Question So I do think when you conceive might sway a little but probably not enough to rely on Laughing xx
Beckylouisexx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:49 pm 
Post subject:
Your not the 1st person to say depends what time of year it is to what your have?! Weather that theory is correct I have no idea. But they say girls are born in the autumn/winter & boys are born in the spring/summer. Jacob was born in June so he is a summer baby & my neice was born in November so a winter baby!...Hmm maybe there could be some ring to it... Question Question Im def not gonna count my chickens that its def 100% but it does look that way... Cool Cool xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular