Need some advice

xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:11 pm 
Post subject: Need some advice
My OH and I have been trying now for over 2 years and I have officially reached breaking point my AF arrived yesterday and I just sat on the loo and cried. I'm exhausted by all of it.
I have now booked an appointment for the 23rd of July for me and my OH to talk to a doctor but what will happen?
We both quit smoking in Feb and have been going at it every other day during the fertile period and a couple of times a week during the rest of the month but still nothing.
I had my 5 year old son by accident so never did any of the trying before. I had him by c-section could this be affecting my fertility?!
I am a bit overweight so I'm worried that they won't help us until I lose the weight.
It's this constant feeling that everything is on hold at the moment, I had my son and then finished my final year of my degree, the plan has always been I would wait until I had another child and it had grown up enough for me to return to university and do my master's and with any hope my PhD, at the moment I am working in a laundry part time to fit around picking up my son from school and spend some time with him but it is driving me insane and also breaking my back!
Sorry long winded post but I just feel so hopeless at the moment
Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 pm 
Post subject:
Aww hun, I know what it's like to try for a long time and so do a lot of the other ladies on here.
First thing they will do is send you for day 21 bloods(this is a test of progesterone and gives a good indication of if you ovulated that month. They may do other hormone-related blood tests & check for immunity to rubella too.
For the men(lucky sods) it's just the one test - a semen analysis.
Assuming these all come back fine, they will probably send you for a test where they run dye through your tubes to check for blockages(either a HyCoSY or HSG). In answer to your question re.C section - the only way it could POSSIBLY affect your fertility is if your tubes ended up blocked. It's not a likelihood though - just a possibility.
As for being overweight - that CAN have a negative affect on fertility so losing some is a good idea. I personally have had to lose some weight so we can have IVF so have been doing slimming world. It really has worked for me so if you're in a country that has that it's a good idea(plus it's a healthy eating plan rather than a crash diet so safest if you're "trying".)
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:21 am 
Post subject:
Thank you for your answer it's everything I needed to know!
I was thinking about joining Slimming World I've started eating better and I've taken up cycling again and the Wii fit has been coming out more often!
The OH and I sat down last night and talked about it all we're going to the appointment but this month we're going to give it all a bit of a break and enjoy each other's company we've got a holiday to go on with my son and we're going to take the chance to properly relax and appreciate what we've got at the moment and get to know each other in a non baby dancing way for a month.
It's good to come back here after so long I forgot how supportive everyone on here could be
Thank you xx
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:39 am 
Post subject:
Sadly previous c sections can be a cause for secondary infertility , as can any abdominal op as they can leave behind scar tissue and adhesions, up to 90% of people will get an adhesion somewhere after an abdominal op, the risks of a problem go up if you had an infection afterwards as well because that can affect the insides of the tubes .
My daughter recently had to have surgery while 12 weeks pregnant because adhesions from her previous section had tangled and twisted a part of her bowel and completely blocked it Shocked and when they did the op they discovered her tube on that side was twisted as well but luckily her other tube is fine.
But that's not to say that's the reason you haven't conceived and the odds of both tubes being affected is probably slim even if you do have adhesions .
Every time I've had a lap they've discovered an adhesion somewhere on my only remaining tube from the previous op Rolling Eyes although this last one wouldn't affect its motility they say and the good news is that if it is a problem with an adhesion or a kink then its quite easy to remove/treat, one of the reversal ladies had a lap to see why she wasn't conceiving and the doc spotted a kink in her tube (just like you can get in a hose pipe) straightened it out and 3 months later she was pregnant Very Happy
First step is speak to your GP, do not be fobbed off with anything along the lines of 'well you already had one child so you'll get pregnant eventually' Rolling Eyes you should be referred after 2yrs of trying in the same way as anyone else Smile
Weight shouldn't be an issue if you're only a bit over weight, and certainly not for the referral anyway .
Test they might suggest will be things like the day 1-5 bloods and the day 21 bloods, the day 21 bloods are to check you ov and should be done around 7 days before you expect your next AF or even better if you can use OPK's that month then 8 days after a positive OPK is a good time as the levels peak 7 days post ov , the day 1-5 test is to check you aren't showing signs of early menopause .
As Kaz said your OH should get a semen analysis done as well, then onto the HSG or Hycosy if everything's ok with the bloods, if there's no dye flow with that or slow dye flow they might suggest a lap and dye, if you get a doc who suggests either that or the HSG I'd go for the lap straight away, it's not a big op and the advantage is they can see and fix any potential problems while they're in there, plus they can put the dye through under greater pressure ( a bit like a tubal jet wash Laughing )
Quiting smoking is a good idea, so is avoiding caffeine and alcohol and taking a good multi vit, one with zinc, vit c and selenium would be good for your OH if he was a smoker until recently as they all help with cell repair so are good for healthy swimmers , also as Kaz said losing weight can only be a good thing, I've recently been on the low GI diet, which isn't a diet as such it's just more of a way of eating, cutting out processed white flours, simple carbs and white sugars and eating more wholemeal stuff and complex carbs, it helps stabilise your blood sugars and stops cravings and best of all for women it helps balance hormones especially oestrogen so its really good for women who have any of the PCO/s symptoms . It's the easiest one I've ever tried, no food cravings , never feel hungry, doesn't even feel like a diet Smile
I know the feeling of putting things on hold though , I'm just coming up to 3yrs of TTC next month and I did put things on hold for a lot of that time and then last October I decided not to anymore so I started a part time course and this September I go full time and it's really helped , now we make plans based on me not getting pregnant and if I do we'll change them Question Smile
Personally I found visiting the doc took the weight off to some extent, which is strange because I was dreading it but at least once you get that referral you know you're one step closer to getting some answers Smile xx
Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:25 am 
Post subject:
Get yourself checked for sure I got pregnant over 13 years ago with my first after just one night of no protection! TTC number 2 took us just short of 5 years!! If I'm honest we haven't been careful since my first so in reality it tools us much longer.

As others say don't let them tell you you're young it will happen etc.. That's what they said to me!!!

Good luck
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:31 pm 
Post subject:
xtine1985BScHons wrote:
Thank you for your answer it's everything I needed to know!
I was thinking about joining Slimming World I've started eating better and I've taken up cycling again and the Wii fit has been coming out more often!
The OH and I sat down last night and talked about it all we're going to the appointment but this month we're going to give it all a bit of a break and enjoy each other's company we've got a holiday to go on with my son and we're going to take the chance to properly relax and appreciate what we've got at the moment and get to know each other in a non baby dancing way for a month.
It's good to come back here after so long I forgot how supportive everyone on here could be
Thank you xx

Aww, you're very welcome hun xx
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
Ladies don't give up trying no matter what but please don't resort to scams of potions and spells cause it's total hogwash.
Leslie go away!
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:59 pm 
Post subject:
michelletv wrote:
Ladies don't give up trying no matter what but please don't resort to scams of potions and spells cause it's total hogwash.
Leslie go away!

Have reported her - if this happens again, report them on site/forum feedback and they will delete posts and block the account.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular