When to express?

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:40 pm 
Post subject: When to express?
Throughout pregnancy we'd decided I was only going to breastfeed for a short time. Partly because I'm only taking a few months off work and I didn't want LO getting attached and partly because I'm only small chested and had kinda convinced myself I wouldn't be able to anyway (silly I know).

Well LO is 16 days old now and we're still going . I'm loving it, but finding it so demanding. She can seemingly feed for hours at a time, but we think a lot of it is comforting as she tends to play about at the nipple. She has got a really good latch and seems to be getting enough milk but sometimes she just pulls herself off and on.

Have bought a pump and am thinking about starting to express. The midwife said to wait to 4 weeks, but the health visitor said now is fine, but no later than 6 weeks. I just really don't know what to do. I feel like a failure if I stop, even though have already done it for longer than planned. OH is desperate for me to stop as he thinks it's too hard on me and he feels helpless. Also I think he feels he is missing out a bit by not being able to feed her.

Know it's got to be my decision but just wondering what your opinions/experiences are?

xx

gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:54 pm 
Post subject:
Replied on the feeding and weamingv section
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
Hmmm. I would say that it's totally your call. I think that it would work fine if you continued to breast feed for a while longer if you enjoy doing it. If it's not something you want to do, then I would start trying to get him on the pump before it's too late. Best of luck!
-------------------------------------------
Julie
AngelDelight
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 pm 
Post subject:
I started expressing at 7 weeks just to try it out, but.... Oscar won't take the bottle!! Rolling Eyes he just opens his mouth and messes about and doesn't suck on. My oh has tried with me out the room, but he does the same for him.

I find bf easy in the fact it's instant and I dont have to clean bottles etc so do what's best for you. I'm just worried that Oscar will only take boob now!

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:00 am 
Post subject:
I was the same in that I had no intention of feeding Eden myself past the first couple of days as it made me so miserable trying, and failing, with Isobel. However, Eden took to it well and I'm still feeding her now. However, we have given her a bottle of formula at 11pm since she was a week old. I've tried expressing but I can't do it very well and I'm not going to force it as it'll make me feel pressured and want to stop breast feeding again. Eden doesn't seem to have an issue swooping between bottle and breast (as long as she'd fed she doesn't care). Heath, my husband is very like yours in that he is supportive but worried when Eden seems to spend all day feeding. He loves giving her the bottle at 11. My intention now is to continue this routine for a little while but gradually swop over to exclusive bottle feeding. I would keep trying to give her s bottle if you want her to take one as I've heard that its more difficult the longer you leave it and if its not interfering with her latch and you can express! Xxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular