dentists

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:32 am 
Post subject: dentists
Will a dentist still take on children, even if the parent(s) dont go?

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:24 am 
Post subject:
I don't see why not ? You can only ask can't you, but I really can't see why a dentist would refuse a child patient as they get paid for them by the NHS xx
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:46 am 
Post subject:
Its not for me, its my bf's ex has told him she doesnt take the kids to the dentist as he wont see them if she doesnt go and she cant afford to pay. But I have also pointed out that she should be tax credit exempt, anyway.

I personally think its an excuse cause she cant be bothered.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:12 am 
Post subject:
Sounds like an excuse to me too Steph, any good dentist would be more concerned with the child's well being surely and my dentist was saying there's been a big push towards making sure young children get signed up with a dentist as the levels of tooth decay in under 5's in some parts of the country is just ridiculous.
If I were him I'd find a dentist for them himself then she has no excuse, not being able to afford to pay for herself sounds like a rubbish excuse anyway as even without tax credits or other benefits it's only £18 a time for a check up and some only insist you go every 9-12 months to keep you on their list Question
I can't understand why she wouldn't want to take them though as it's free and it's about preventing problems as much as anything Question
This page has a link specifically to find NHS dentists for children Smile
http://nhsdentistlocator.co.uk/
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:40 am 
Post subject:
I feel sorry for the kids as they must be in pain with it, his daughter has got one tooth that is just a gaping hole!

My bf doesnt even seem too bothered as he said its just baby teeth, but my friend said they can rot through to the adult teeth in the gums Sad

Iv sent him a list of local NHS dentists and failing that I will try and get them in my dentist during the holidays. I just dont want to be seen as the meddling new girlfriend!

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:27 pm 
Post subject:
I can see where you're coming from Steph, the last thing you need is the ex on the warpath but honestly I don't understand why anyone wouldn't get their kids teeth looked at while it's free Question
My kids dentist will even fill baby teeth if necessary just to keep them in for longer as he seems to think it's better they come out when pushed out by the adult teeth, as then you get less problems with wonky teeth moving where there are gaps, plus as you say they can still hurt and if they need removing completely it usually means a trip to the hospital and a general anaesthetic which is pretty scary for a child if that can be avoided with a filling then surely that's got to be better Question
Plus it gets them into good habits for later on in life Smile Hopefully your BF will be able to find a local NHS dentist for them, if not then there should be an emergency dentist which you can ring for urgent appointments if the kids were with you in the holidays they can do emergency treatment and they also have a list of all local dentists who are taking on patients xx
nds
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:41 pm 
Post subject:
yes, they will. and, definitely on nhs.
ask around practices in the area - or ask them for your local primary care trust number if they are not taking on new patients.
X
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 pm 
Post subject:
I registered the kids at the dentist near us when I myself was registered at the dentist near my work (both NHS dentists). Wasn't a problem at all. Though I've since switched as I prefer the kids' dentist and we can all go at the same time.
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:50 am 
Post subject:
Well my bf spoke to his ex and she said she didnt have time to take them, so he said well they are off school for 6 weeks now, so you have plenty of time Laughing (me and my friend gave him a talking to about standing up to her)

so then she said she cant take them as she has anxiety issues and gets panic attacks when the dentist tells her off for not looking after their teeth!

So now he is going to book them in, his dentist isnt taking new patients on, but they are registered at a dentist by their mom. He is also going to take them to the opticians as he reckons they wont have been there for ages either!

juliebarns
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:42 pm 
Post subject:
I don't know why your dentist wouldn't want to take the kids on. If he really had care and loved what he did, then he would be concerned for the children. I don't see why he can't just add him to his schedule, because if this is the way he treats all of his patients then he should have a very open schedule. Just saying. Best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular