Formula

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:10 am 
Post subject: Formula
I've been breastfeeding but need to go back to work in a few months so need to get LO onto formula by then. We have been giving her one bottle of expressed milk a day for her evening feed.it has become part of her bedtime routine and she took to the bottle well. After struggling to express we decided to switch this one bottle to formula. We've given it to her for the past 2 nights but she absolutely hates it. She refuses to take it and gets herself really worked up which is messing with her calm bedtime routine. We've not forced it but tried for about 10 mins then I've ended up feeding her. The temptation is to give up but if its going to be such a battle I know we can't as she'll have no choice when I'm back at work. Any ideas or tips? Expressing for when I'm back at work won't be an option as I'm only just managing to pump enough for her one bottle, never mind a full day.

xx

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:12 am 
Post subject:
Or am I panicking over nothing? She'll be 5 months when I go back to work, will she need feeding during the day then? I'm clueless about weaning at the moment.

xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:27 am 
Post subject:
She might not be having as much milk by then if she's showing an interest in food so expressing might be an option Question , I'd try expressing at a time when she's not had a feed for a while so you have plenty of milk, or even while she's feeding from one side then try from the other, it can be hard work at first to get much milk as it doesn't produce the same 'let down' reflex that a baby feeding does which is why doing it while feeding can help and being relaxed helps a lot too, so does using a pump that doesn't hurt, I found anything that makes you feel tense instantly reduces the flow .
It can take a week or two for your body to get used to a change in the timing and quantity of milk needed as well so you might not get much at first when expressing and might have to use milk from several sessions to make up just one bottle but if you keep it up then your supply should increase to the point where it's much easier and a lot of women express at lunch time at work as well to keep the supply going, as long as there's a fridge available you can use that milk for later and you can get discreet insulated carriers, Oh and with my son who loved his breast feeds he would only take formula from a cup Question and even then we had to get him the Hipp organic stuff that was vanilla flavoured and make sure it was body temperature he wouldn't touch the ordinary formula and to be honest I didn't blame him as I do think it smells horrible don't know if you can get that here but maybe one of the milks that's as close as possible to breast milk might go down better Question Good luck
xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:37 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Nat. It seems the formula has now put her off the bottle completely. She took it so well at first but now she must associate it with the formula, so won't even entertain it with expressed milk in. Have gone back to just breastfeeding and will try the bottle again in a week or so. Expressing once daily and going to try and start doing it twice a day to build up a supply for the freezer. Have tried expressing while she's feeding but I can't seem to be able to get it in the right position. Currently doing it in the morning when the supply seems best. Will try it at night when she's gone to sleep. Know I've tried it once before in the evening and hardly got a drop! But as you say, if I keep at it my body will get used to it. Know it's 3 months till I return to work, but thought starting it early would be the best way to get her used to it. Don't want to be panicking the week before I go back.

Weasleywannabe
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
Hello,
Have you considered hiring an electric breast pump to express with? I am sorry if this is a daft suggestion because it it is prohibitively expensive. It is much less work than an manual one and you can double pump which halves the time it takes.

Hope that helps.
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:56 am 
Post subject:
i had the same problem, tried almost every bottle because she didnt want to tto any bottle. in the end she took to tommi tippee. try to get a formula as close to breasmilk as you can.
maybe mix a little formula in with the breastmilk and see if it helps. if she takes it then add more formula every week until she is drinking only the formula.
maybe try a different teat as well.
i took my daughter to the daycare and she refused to drink anything for the whole day. eventually by day 3 she realised that it was either the bottle or starve. she now drinks both!! Laughing and is 28 months . sigh!!
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:53 pm 
Post subject:
Its hard to know how much milk your daughter will want by then, at 8 months my daughter was still having 4 feeds a day. I went back to work full time for the last half term of school planning to express for the 1 feed that she missed; however she refused to take it and we ended up going down to 3 feeds. I was initially concerned but the HV said that she should adapt to 3 feeds and to replace the one she missed with a snack.

Obviously your little one will be younger and I would expect at 5 months she will be having between 4-6 feeds a day. I would leave the bottle for a few weeks, then try again perhaps with cooled boiled water (she wont need it and you shouldnt give her too much but it might help to introduce a bottle without upsetting her)

Your work does have to provide somewhere for you to express and fridge facilities if you did wish to continue to breastfeed, you may find that because formula is not breast milk she may not be so upset by it!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular