Forum seems so quiet now?

BillJ
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 am 
Post subject:
Hi all,
I'm back looking after the forum after a long time away (if you haven't seen me I tend to stick to Site Forum & Feedback, chasing away spammers and letting you lot get on with things Very Happy )

Glad to hear it's picking up, if only slightly, just wondering if there's anything we're doing wrong at AskBaby HQ or that you'd like us to be doing to encourage people?

I can't make any promises, but we'd love to keep our community as open, caring and considerate as we're all used to - so all ideas welcome!

Finally (and most importantly) congratulations to mariandelijah !!!!

Billj
AskBaby Team
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:40 am 
Post subject:
I think a lot of it is that many of the women who did come on a lot were mostly TTC'ers and have now had one or two babies and are too busy or in the longer term TTC women sadly some have now stopped trying as well or gone on to other things Question
Some days there are only one or two new posts Question
That means that when a newbie does come along and ask a question it can go unanswered for days or not be answered at all and then maybe they don't come back and it's a vicious circle Question
In some sections there are a lot of people reading but not posting as well as Mand said, that's always been the case in the reversal section but it seems to be spreading maybe as women come on to catch up with how things are going for people but they don't have time to post Question
Also phones are not great for internet sites like this, I know I wouldn't bother trying to post off my phone on here as it's such a pain Rolling Eyes but I know a lot of people my OH included uses his for everything he once used our laptop or PC for Question
Facebook is more phone friendly
There's always been quieter times during my 3yrs + on here but it really is very quite at the moment, which is such a shame as it is a very friendly site Smile
BillJ
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 am 
Post subject:
Thanks DL05, that's really helpful!

What I'll try to do is respond to any unanswered posts from newbies at the end of each day.

However, I'm not exactly experienced so this would definitely be along the lines of a welcome message rather than actually useful advice!

I'll wax lyrical about our lovely members instead Smile

.......or, do you think I'd best leave it alone?
Kell83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:33 pm 
Post subject:
WOW MARI!!! huge congratulation hun! Early or not this is very exciting news Smile
Happy and healthy 9months xxx

Billj, I think any recognition for new posters is always good!

Maybe us more experienced members need to make more of an effort to help, but with three lovely children spare time is limited! Lol
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:52 pm 
Post subject:
I think its purely (for me anyway), the fact if you ask a question noone responds, and if you respond to someone they don't acknowledge it (or the majority don't) and I think thats just plain rude (IMO anyway Very Happy)

I've been coming here since 2008 and always used to get answers to my queries/niggles, in the past few months I've asked 3 or 4 questions and not a single response to any of them, why would people come back?

BillJ
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:08 pm 
Post subject:
Kell83 wrote:
with three lovely children spare time is limited!

Lol, that's why I tried to take the heat off by suggesting I wheel out a welcome message Smile

I may not be able to address their questions as I simply don't have the experience, but hopefully I can point them towards relevant (active) threads and/or relevant guides!
BillJ
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:13 pm 
Post subject:
tracebumfluffwhy wrote:
if you ask a question noone responds, and if you respond to someone they don't acknowledge it

I worry that it'll be difficult for me to encourage people to get back to this without being seen as overly critical or too draconian Confused

One to ponder! Thanks for getting back to me guys, much appreciated and I'm sure we'll find a solution!
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:17 pm 
Post subject:
BillJ wrote:
tracebumfluffwhy wrote:
if you ask a question noone responds, and if you respond to someone they don't acknowledge it

I worry that it'll be difficult for me to encourage people to get back to this without being seen as overly critical or too draconian Confused

One to ponder! Thanks for getting back to me guys, much appreciated and I'm sure we'll find a solution!

I'd agree, people responding to new posts is a very very difficult one to fix. But surely if someone takes the time to respond to you its good forum etiquitte to acknowledge them, I mean it doesn't even have to be directed at every post, it could be as simple as 'thank you ladies', but maybe my manners are a little old fashioned in this technology driven world (and I work in the IT industry so you'd think I'd know wouldn't you lol)

BillJ
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:23 pm 
Post subject:
Quote:
if someone takes the time to respond to you its good forum etiquette to acknowledge them

I'd totally agree with you there (although now I'm worrying if I've ever done it!) Very Happy
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:13 pm 
Post subject:
I am the same... I have put both specific questions (about my daughters condition) which are a limited audience, and very general ones which have gone with next to no replies despite them being ones that anyone could simply state something on.
My last one was ideas about a new parents support pack that I have been asked to make for our local hospital and only one person replied which surprised me since nearly everyone has experienced time in maternity.... so if no-one can give me responses about that which I thought people on here would be interested in helping, I don't really have the heart to write other posts with no responses and go elsewhere.

Due to my daughters condition and my last birth issue I have joined more specific sites with people who have experienced the same as me and can relate to. Could you encourage opening the forum up with more specific areas of help and support? The special needs has a lot of posters on specific conditions - may be the forum needs to be specific posts like that (as, dare I say it, netmums does - I am not a member of that I add! lol)

xx

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:00 pm 
Post subject:
MrsOz wrote:
I am the same... I have put both specific questions (about my daughters condition) which are a limited audience, and very general ones which have gone with next to no replies despite them being ones that anyone could simply state something on.
My last one was ideas about a new parents support pack that I have been asked to make for our local hospital and only one person replied which surprised me since nearly everyone has experienced time in maternity.... so if no-one can give me responses about that which I thought people on here would be interested in helping, I don't really have the heart to write other posts with no responses and go elsewhere.

Due to my daughters condition and my last birth issue I have joined more specific sites with people who have experienced the same as me and can relate to. Could you encourage opening the forum up with more specific areas of help and support? The special needs has a lot of posters on specific conditions - may be the forum needs to be specific posts like that (as, dare I say it, netmums does - I am not a member of that I add! lol)

xx

yeah some good ideas MrsOz, although it probably takes more overheads on the moderators and I'd hazard a guess that this has far less of them than some of the bigger more publicised sites. Having said that, we don't want this one turning into the spiteful, bullying site that some of 'those' big sites have become, I've stopped posting on those for that reason Wink

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 pm 
Post subject:
tracebumfluffwhy wrote:

Having said that, we don't want this one turning into the spiteful, bullying site that some of 'those' big sites have become, I've stopped posting on those for that reason Wink

Too true - I was trolled once on one well known teaching site and accused of being cruel and an abusive mother bc I implemented CC early on with the aid & support of my HV, (someone asked advice on it, so I said what my HV did with me). I occasionally look back at those site users now they are on second or third babies reading their moans about how they suffered with their first Laughing and implementing CC now with their other children Rolling Eyes
It left me so upset having had abuse from what I thought would be a supportive forum from fellow 'professionals'... how wrong I was. Hence why I always come back to AB where it is a friendly and welcoming place where I have met some lovely friends whom I now see in the real world too Very Happy

xx

StaceyRD
Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 pm 
Post subject:
Anyone want to try bringing back chat again? Quiz night? I'd be happy to arrange if any interest x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular