Breast feeding

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:58 pm 
Post subject: Breast feeding
Eden is nearly a month old now and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I stopped breast feeding Isobel around this point as she had lost so much weight and I was so miserable. I'm still feeding Eden myself apart from one bottle at night (I know this affects supply but it was this or bottle feed entirely - it makes sure I get some sleep). I want to keep this up and she has put on nearly all of her initial weight loss but my concern is she seems to be feeding constantly. She does sleep for one 5hr stretch at night after her formula but from about 6pm, I'm feeding pretty much constantly. I keep thinking she's fallen asleep but as soon as I go to take her off she clamps and starts to suck again. She can be on one breast for an hour easily. I feed her every 2 hours during the day pretty much although I tend to feed her when on demand. I feel like I've not had a baby before, I'm definitely in new territory. Does this sound about right? Any suggestions?
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:51 am 
Post subject:
hi there

i also was in the same predicament you find yourself in now.
the only way i knew that my daughter was getting in sufficient milk, was to take her to the breastfeeding clinic around feed time. they weigh her withoug clothes on, then you sit and feed her there. after she has drank, then they weigh her again. they can then tell exactly how many mls she has drank for the feed.
Try to express and see how much milk you have. the more baby sucks , the more milk you will produce.
my daughter used to hang on for dear life. i used to sit in front of the tv from one feed to another.
i am now in another predicament that she is 28 months and i cant get her off the breast. i will have to dry my milk. it is very tiring especially at night when she wants to use me as a dummy. Question but then again, it helps so much when she is not well then i at least know she is getting in some sort of nuitrition.
good luck
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 am 
Post subject:
I'd maybe try not letting her feed constantly, that way your milk will have a chance to build and she can get a really good feed and be full rather than constantly snacking Question
It's not always easy I know but maybe a trip to the park in her pram or anywhere just to be out of the house and try to make her go as long as possible between feeds at least 3hrs .
It's common for babies who fall asleep at the breast to suddenly start to suck again when woken, bottle fed babies often do it as well but she's probably using you as a dummy substitute.
I'm not a big fan of dummies but they have their uses Laughing and it might even be worth giving her one as some babies just like to suck even when not hungry and find it a comfort Question , even if you just use it occasionally to get her to go longer between feeds you might find it helps her be more settled, 2 hrs is very frequently even for a breast fed baby , while my son was in special care they only fed him every 4 hrs but as soon as I brought him home he started wanting feeding much more often and for longer Rolling Eyes , I knew he could go longer so I tried dragging it out each time and soon he was back to between 3-4 hrs and then he had more of a meal than a snack and would feed in about 10 minutes Shocked Laughing and slept much better and I had time to get things done as well .
It must be draining only having an hour between one feed finishing and the next starting, even if you just get her to wait an extra 15 minutes the first time and then build it from there it will soon make a difference , Good Luck xx
abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your replies - we have fed her every 2 hours today and she went 2.5 between feeds at one point. We're going to extend this gradually! I'm reluctant to complain as I'm so pleased I'm still feeding her at all and as she usually has at least 4 hours straight overnight. We've tried a dummy as you said, in between feeds, but she's not having any of it!! Have you got any suggestions as to how to get her to feed quicker? Last night I fed her for 1 hour on one side and then 30 minutes on the other. I stripped her to her nappy and kept tickling her feet but I'm not sure when she stops feeding as she doesn't usually let go! When she does unlatch, quite often she roots and tries to get back on! I can't tell if she's hungry or just wants to comfort suck! Despite having Izzy, I feel clueless when it comes to breastfeeding!! Thanks again! Xx
Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:51 pm 
Post subject:
Abigail feeds every two hours easily, sometimes more. But unlike Eden I know she's snacking as sometimes only feeds or 5-10 minutes at a time. The health visitor told me she's probably thirsty with the heat, so is wanting the fluid rather than being constantly hungry. We've been trying to introduce formula at night too, just so I can have a break from it. It does feel awful to say.

Are there any breastfeeding support groups in your area?

xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:38 am 
Post subject:
Some babies are just quicker feeders than others I'm afraid and some let go as soon as they're full whereas others just hang on and then suddenly wake up when you move them and start to feed again, and as Heath said sometimes they just want a drink and other times a full feed, but if she's falling asleep or just stopping feeding for long periods she could well be full and then just comfort feeding when you disturb her.
I'd try using your little finger to release the suction before attempting to put her down and see if she wakes up properly ?
Does she feed quicker after going for 4 hrs between feeds Question
If she always takes a while she could just be a slow feeder, was she quite a low birth weight or have jaundice as that can make a difference too Question
I know in special care they gave my son a dummy to increase the strength of his suck as he was 7 weeks early, but that's not much use if she won't take one ,sometimes breastfed babies accept things like dummies or bottles better from their dads as they associate your smell with being breastfed, if she feeds faster after a longer sleep then trying to get the gaps between feeds longer might be the best way forward, it's not easy I know I had to do it with my first daughter too and she was a slow feeder and she had severe night and day confusion as well Rolling Eyes Laughing and took much longer than my youngest to get the hint but it did work in the end, I found it easier to do if we were out of the house but that not always practical, my then SIL would have her for a couple of hours as well sometimes so that helped too , I used to leave my youngest with my OH and go out shopping or whatever as well and that worked well as I'm sure sometimes if you're there and pick them up even if they're not hungry they just know the milk is there and then suddenly want a feed Question Sneaky babies Laughing Good luck xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular