weaning a 4 month old...

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:32 pm 
Post subject: weaning a 4 month old...
Hi ladies my 4 month old has always been a hungry baby so we are starting with the baby porridge this week.
Its been 4 yrs since I last did this and I cant remember how or what I did. Is it a little breakfast to start with ? And same amount of milk throughout the day ?

Heeeeelp ! Lol

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:49 pm 
Post subject:
I'll be interested to read any replies to this. We're thinking of weaning at around 4 months as LO currently won't take formula and I need to return to work at 5 months.

xx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
When I weaned my dd over 13 years ago when they recommended from 4 months, at first I introduced a teaspoon amount of baby rice and then gave her usual bottle straight after. I then gave her the normal amount of bottles for the rest of the day. I then increased the amount of baby rice over a few weeks. Once she grasped that I introduced food at another meal time etc.. Eventually as she gets older and on more solids her intake of milk will reduce too. I've found with both my children that they decreased and dropped off bottles by their own doing so in a way they led me too!

I tried weaning my son from 4 months be he want interested!!

Have fun !!
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm 
Post subject:
The recommended time for weaning is 6 months now. I personally gave my daughter tiny amounts of fruit before, as she was soo interested, but I didnt cut her milk at all.

I am pretty sure that you arent recommended to replace milk feeds until they are older as it is where they get all their nutrition and their tummies cant digest well enough yet to gain much from solids.
Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for that. We seem to have had success tonight with Aptamil after a disaster with SMA last week.

x

Bobski1980
Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

My boy is 15 months and I weaned him at 4 months so not that long ago and still quite fresh in my mind. The advice I was given by HV and on a weaning course was not to drop any milk. They will gradually drop their bottles but I slowly cut down the morning milk around 8 months I think them by 12 months he was just on 8 oz in the morning and 8 oz at night. I started giving baby porridge around tea time to help him sleep a bit better, although I think they start with lunch, then breakfast, then dinner. Just do what suits you, I also weaned to help his reflux. Hope this helps x

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:55 am 
Post subject:
Hi thanks for the replies ladies. I weaned my 4 yr old at 4 months because she had really bad wind problems & I was told for her own good wean her. I have similar probs with my now 4 month old plus shes a really hungry baby. Thanks for all the advice Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular