Health Visitors!!!

Beckylouisexx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 am 
Post subject: Health Visitors!!!
I dont usually come on here to have a rant but I am so upset & frustrated with my HV's! My boy is a tiny tot & every time I get him weighed they always question me! I got him weighed this morning & he has put on weight but just not loads. I just feel so upset that they are questioning me as a parent. I said to her that I dont like going to see her as they make me feel like im a [*CENSORED*] mum & all she could say back is that, that wasnt their intention & that was all like she didnt care Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Jacob is such an active child & now he is walking he is everywhere. As soon as he wakes up he is on the move so burns anything he eats!

Do you actually have to take your child to the HV to get weighed or can you just do it yourself & if you have any worries just go to the docs???!! xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:40 am 
Post subject:
I stopped getting Lola weighed at 1 because no one seemed interested and they can stand on normal scales now!
I had a really lovely HV, was VERY realistic and had obviously had children herself which you sometimes question the things they come out with!
Is there a clinic nearby? or another one if this is where you already go.
There's one right by me run in a church but i decided to go to one further with better facilities. I haven't actually had any contact with a HV from when Lola was a few weeks old other than a random HV at Lolas 1 year check (which was done at 9 months :S)
So i doubt it would matter as long as little one is all well. you're his mum, you know him better than anyone! xx
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:42 am 
Post subject:
I don't think you have to other than developmental checks. I had one like this with Isobel and its miserable!!
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:36 pm 
Post subject:
Ava hasn't been weighed since her 6 week check! I weigh both the girls myself and check it against the chart if I have worries but they've both been tanks no matter how much or little they eat so never been worried. a mother knows best most of the time and I think this nanny state needs to start realising it!

Beckylouisexx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:13 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your replies ladies Smile So nice to hear its not just my HV's that are pains! My mum has been telling me to stop going for months but my HV made me feel like I had to go Sad I am moving out to a different town next month so am going to be under a new HV & I think from then we are going to start weighing Jacob at home Smile We just need to buy some decent scales then we are good to go. I think if I have any worries in the future am going to go straight to the docs! Am taking Jacob to the docs on thurs just to get him checked over for my piece of mind then thats it, im putting it to bed. I just hate the way they speak to you & how they pick on the slightest things Sad

Thanks for listening everyone! So nice to be able vent! xx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:56 pm 
Post subject:
I still get my daughter weighed every so often (usually on my own at the health centre) and check it against the scale. I only do because she's very little and I have been concerned about her weight (she was 15lb 11oz a week and half ago), she has generally followed her line (9th centile). The HV told me that it may always be the case and that I should only be concerned if she dropped centile lines in a sustained way.

If it upsets you I would definitely stop going and weigh him at home occasionally. You know your child best, I allow my daughter to eat as much as she wants and I know I'd be devastated if someone implied I was failing her some how! x
Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm 
Post subject:
This might sound awful but I've never once been to the HV clinic and I've got four kids. Shannah was weighed a lot as she has down's syndrome and the only other one that I got weighed regularly was Adam but that was just because he had reflux and I was worried and it was at my GPs. My HV is lovely but you really don't have to go if you don't want to.

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:44 am 
Post subject:
I used to get the boys weighed at the clinic... Lewis especially as he stopped gaining any weight for 6 months! He was born so big and now he's a skinny waif.. He eats plenty and healthy but he's super active.. The hv just made me worry.. Charlie is the other way and they made me feel like I was making my child obese... But the woman didn't take his height into consideration so when the hv. Came over she said there's nothing wrong with him his just chunky but he's a much more laid back lazy kid haha they both eat the same food... But the size difference is crazy... Now Alice gets weighed at clinic but I will stop when she starts standing with no help.. I dont like the fact they just go off charts.. Xx
Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:20 pm 
Post subject:
Well I took Jacob to the docs today & the doc has referred him to a peditrication as he is concerned that Jacob isn't putting enough weight on. The problem is that he has dropped centile & that is why he has referred him. I just hate the way the HV speak to you as they are diplomatic at all & just say it as it is, but they forget that we have feelings & when it comes to our children we will take it personal even if they are trying to help. I don't think there is anything wrong with Jacob as he is in proportion, active, happy & does eat very well. He just burns everything he eats off! Just got to wait for an appointment to come through & fingers crossed we can get closure & the HV off my back (Thats how it feels lol) The thing that has annoyed me the most is that if they were that concerned why didn't they tell me to go to my gp??!! I have done this off my own back!!...Grrrr Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rant over lol...xx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 am 
Post subject:
Charlotte hasnt been weighed at the hv since she was a baby. Archie on the other hand was on two weekly weight checks due to medical issuee but he also didnt put weight on very well, Archie was on a special high calorie milk not for his weight issues but medical issues and to be honest it was a catch 22 the milk was high calorie and we added t his purres and foods ie porridge but it filled him that he had no appetite he has done better without it and on normal foods. But my hv was very supportive xx

Beckylouisexx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 am 
Post subject:
Well I have had a break through today. Since Jacob was born they have minused 4 weeks off when they weighed him as he was 4 weeks early & now he is past 12 months they dont do that. So makes sense to why he 'dropped' weight! I plotted his chart like they did when they minus 4 weeks & he is in the same place as he has been the last few months which is 25th centile! What do they expect! Im not gonna worry no more. My oh is getting some new digital scales today & we are gonna start weighing Jacob at home & then when we go to the pediatrician we are gonna take what we have & show him that he is putting on weight at a nice steady pace! xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular