IUGR

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:05 pm 
Post subject: IUGR
For some reason I simply took that Poppy having IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) meant simply that she is small, but was looking up some info for a pal on it (for a parent support pack) and have found that it can have short and long term affects on the child on different areas of their development as well as size.
Has anyone else's baby 'got' this, and how have they developed? I have been aware that Poppy is slower and achieving mile stones steadily in her own way - she is happy and alert but, well, steady!

We were signed off by the paed at 8 weeks (he was v rude, but that's another story) and have had no contact with anyone since.

Thanks for any experiences shared

xx

bellarose3856
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:49 pm 
Post subject:
I have just posted a post almost exactly the same! My daughter had symmetrical IUGR but so far at 4 months seem totally normal. Hitting all her milestones fine, it not a bit early actually and is now a healthy weight on the 50th centile and normal height. I'd be interested to hear from people with older children and how they've turned out as ive read that IUGR babies have lower IQs, behavioural problems and other neurological disorders. My lo is a happy loud little thing right now, i'm just hoping problems wont surface as she gets older x
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:55 am 
Post subject:
Hiya thanks for replying. It sounds like you have read the same articles as me.
Ive now joined an online support group which has helped. Also in my enquiries / hunt for ideas i have now met 3 parents of iugr kids... 2 adults and 1 child. All have learning struggles... The child has all the extremeties of learning, behaviour frustrations, one adult with moderate behaviour but dyslexia & dyscalculia and the final adult who had minimal iugr effects and works high up in her police force.

My oh has now given up work and has 'worked' intensively on her so we are now up to her prem age milestones, rather than being very far behind. It helps that her sister who is 3 also plays with her like we do so she is always being stimulated... If we didnt poppy would be happy just to sit and catch flies!

Well done with weight gain! Thats fab progress! I am not sure of her weight now (she was on the 0.4% 5 weeks ago) but we have gone backwards food wise and is feeding v little (she keeps getting ill so wont eat) from the online group tho feeding is apparently a common issue. Let me know if you want info about the group i have joined online

xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:41 am 
Post subject:
Sorry was just having a read and wanted to say try vitamins if your little one keeps getting ill. My little girl has a fab diet but had a different virus every week, gave her vitamins and she hasn't had anything since! xx
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 pm 
Post subject:
For some reason I didn't get notification that there were more replies! Sorry!

I think I am going to see the HV next week to see where we are at with weight & feeding (she is now choking and throwing up each time she has solids, but could be because of her tongue tie) and also take on your idea Hayley. She isn't fussed about being poorly - she has constant dark green diarrhoea too , but I read that it is normal apparently, so in herself she is happy, it's just me that worries! lol! Learning wise she is making progress with what we are doing with her.

I agree Julie, it is good when there are people who can help but reassurance is always nice too so thank you Smile It is sooo quiet on AB now!

xx

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 pm 
Post subject:
Hayley what vitamins do you use? xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 pm 
Post subject:
My favourites are the drops you put in their juice that you can get from your local health centre or wherever you would have a baby weighed, theyre healthy start ones. Xx
Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:05 pm 
Post subject:
Fab, thanks xx

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular