I concieved after reversal of sterilisation

Jess1973
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 pm 
Post subject: I concieved after reversal of sterilisation
Hi I'm Jess, I am 39 and I am writing this post to give others hope. I got sterilized in 1998 following the birth of my 4th child. Following relationship breakdown with my childrens father and to cut a long story short, I later met a lovely guy and Married him. He doesn't have any children of his own and has been a fabulous father to mine.
My husband and I have been together for 11 years and he helped raise my children and he has been a fabulous dad to them. I longed to give him a child of his own, after alot of research I opted for reversal of sterilization in Oct 2011. I had a low ovarian reserved at this time of 2.7, this put me in the very low fertiliy bracket. After 13 months of trying to concieve and after loosing 2 stone in weight I fell pregnant and I am now 15 weeks pregnant. Please don't give up hope ladies. Surprised). As my surgeon used to say...It only takes one good egg. x
shellypenton
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
CONGRATS... WERE YOU ON ANY FERTILITY DRUGS LIKE CLOMID, PROGESTERONE PILLE? I HAD MY REVERSAL IN MAY 2012 AND I HAVENT HAD ANY SUCCESS YET.. I STARTED ON CLOMID AND PROGESTERONE TABLETS AND THE CREAM IN DECEMBER.. I AM 10 DAYS LATE TODAY AND TESTED NEGATIVE ON PREGNANCY TEST.. IM ON CD36 TODAY...

I HAD MY TUBAL IN 1997. JUST LIKE U I GOT REMARRIED TO A WONDERFUL MAN AND HE HAS NO CHILDREN BUT MINE. I ONLY HAVE 2. A DAUGHTER THAT IS 18 AND A SON THAT WILL 16 IN MARCH.....

ITS ONLY BEEN 7 MONTHS SINCE MY SURGERY AND I KNOW IT TAKES TIME I WILL BE 38 NEXT MONTH....

MY DOCTOR STATES THAT IF AF DOESNT COME BY MONDAY THEN WE WILL DO ANOTHER TEST...

SO HAPPY THAT U GOT UR BFP... ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME IS MUCH APPRECIATED....
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am 
Post subject:
Hi Shelly, no I was not on any fertility drugs at all. I oped for reversal because of my low ovarian reserve, I would not have responded well to IVF. The surgeon who performed my surgery told me to return after 1 year if I hadn't concieved,1 year passed and I was still not pregnant, I assumed the surgery hadn't worked, however he had stressed to me that I needed to loose weight to improve my fertility.I was concerned that I was another year older and this point I thought I was considering IVF.I paid for a consultation to only be told the same thing that my first surgeon had told me, that I was unlikely to respond well to IVF. I went away considering IVF with donor eggs,this was my best chance. However I went away to think about it, and the very week after whilst still thinking I concieved naturally. We had intercourse once that month, the previous 12 months we had been trying 2 or 3 times a week. I didn't do any of the lying on my back stuff, holding my legs up in the air that I had done the previous 12 months, infact I had to jump in the shower because I was late for work. It goes to show it happens with very little effort. I had lost 2 stone prior to concieving, and just come back from a holiday to New York, so I guess I was the most relaxed I had been and in the best shape. Good luck, it's still early days for you.
shellypenton
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 pm 
Post subject:
THANKS JESS!!! AF FINALLY CAME THIS MORNING Very Happy Very Happy. GOING TO CALL MY DOCTOR FOR MY CLOMID SO I CAN START THAT SUNDAY... I KNOW IM TRYING TO HARD AND THAT MAKES IT EVEN MORE STRESSFUL. I WILL DO THE MEDICATIONS TIL THE 1 YEAR MARK AND THEN I WILL TAKE A BREAK.... ITS FUNNY THAT U MENTION THAT YOU DID THE LAYING ON THE BACK WITH LEGS IN THE AIR Laughing Laughing I SO HAVE DONE THAT..... IM NOT OVERWEIGHT AND I DO GO DO YOGA. GOING TO START WALKING ALOT JUST TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL BETTER MAYBE THAT WILL WORK...

WHEN I DID A 21 DAY PROGESTERONE IN SEPTEMBER IT WAS 1.0 WHICH THEY SAY WAS BORDERLINE..SO I ASK THE DR IF I WASNT PREGNANT BY DECEMBER IF I COULD START ON CLOMID TO SEE IF THAT WOULD HELP DUE TO MY AGE!! AFTER I DID THE CLOMID AND THE PROGESTERONE MEDS I DID ANOTHER 21 DAY PROGESTERONE LEVEL AND IT WAS 53.9 SO THAT WAS GOOD.. HOPING THIS ROUND WILL DO THE TRICK...
Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm 
Post subject: congrates x
Hi *Congratulations* jess x thanks for posting it gives us ladies`looking in to`or having had a reversal hope..
Im nearly 39 too so the fact were a similar age is great as i was a little worried i was getting too old for it to work lol (no offence)
Im still in the deciding part but will hopefully be joining soon on one journey or the other
Kerry x
Jess1973
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:11 am 
Post subject:
Surprisingly I have met many women in the small town where I live who have had success with reversal. You just rarely hear about them on these forums. I don't know much about FSH etc, the only test my surgeon did was ovarian reserve. I was gutted when I fell into the low fertility bracket. My ovarian reserve did not alter in 13 months,I tested prior to reversal and prior to considering IVF, 12 months later.Initially I was concerned that I was heading for menopause. This pregnancy will result in my 5th Ceasarian section, there are increased risks but i believe it was meant to be. I'm taking it one day at a time. Very Happy

My friend has had success with IVF. She has twin daughters. She concieved on her 4th and last attempt. She was getting a positive pregnancy test each time embryos had been emplanted, but misscarrying in the early stages. The consultant who she was under this time took the time to investigate why her 3 other attempts had not worked, despite having good embryos implanted. The others had not done this, it turned out to be a very simple solution in the end.
gardenfairy
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:42 am 
Post subject:
Morning Lasdies x
Hi Jess,`if`i got pregnant again it will be my 4th CS, I was a little worried about it but researched Myself (as 1 of the reasons i think i agreed to the sterilization was an idiot consultant (who DH later complained about and was told `he should never had said that in that way???!!!) who basically said i was GOING to bleed ALOT and will be VERY high risk if i had another CS grr.. I found out lots of info saying yes it is slightly more dangerous BUT if you havent had any probs with previous sections you should be ok.. Each lady is different and he should not have made such a sweeping/all including statement.. grrrrrrrr
Any how enough of my ranting lol, i wish you lots of luck with your reversal x you may be right that ladies mainly may only come on forums when there needing help/support that we dont hear of many success stories
Kerry x

Question Question Question
helen36
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm 
Post subject:
Hi ladies

Jess my story is very similar to yours. I had 3 children with my ex husband and was sterilised with clips when i was 27. After meeting my now husband who didn't have any children we decided to look into having a reversal. After being initially told by consultant that IVF would work better as the tubes can close up again after reversal we did a round of IVF costing us £3000 which didn't work. We were gutted and decided we couldn't go through that again so opted to save up and have a reversal costing us another £3500. In November 2010 I had the reversal I was 37 at the time, the consultant said op had gone brilliant and that one of the tubes was as good as new. I started taking Clomid in the January I took it for 2 months and fell pregnant but unfortunately had a miscarriage at 7 weeks. I resumed taking it and fell pregnant again and my most precious little boy Harrison was born on Christmas Eve 2011. I felt blessed to have him and everything was perfect. My consultant told me I would struggle to get pregnant without taking the Clomid and as it has only a 6 month expiration date on it after having Harrison I threw it away so we weren't using any contraception. Feeling as if our family was now complete we booked a holiday to Egypt for the 10th July this year paid a deposit and were excited to be taking Harrison on his 1st trip abroad, but lo and behold this wasn't to be. My AF was due on the 21st October but didn't arrive. I did a pregnancy test on 23rd and got a BFP. I am now nearly 17 weeks pregnant and had a 3D gender scan which told us we are having a little girl due 2nd July. I will be 40 in February. So please ALL you ladies out there trying do not give up hope. It can and will happen for you

Helen xx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:07 am 
Post subject:
I'd agree Ladies on some forums its only women who struggle to conceive that you might find on them,as they feel the need to find answers and support,
but after being a member on here for 2 1/2 yrs I have to say thats not always the case for the reversal Ladies who seem to also just want other women in the same position to talk to Smile , this getting pregnant after reversal forum has over the time I've been on it had lots of women on some pre Op , some post op and just starting TTC and some a year or two down the line and some who've had their babies and still pop on to see how women are doing Question
At the moment its quiet , much quieter than at any point during my time on here, but if you have the time to read all the old posts I think it pretty much gives the full spectrum of all the possible outcomes for reversal and can give a good realistic idea of the odds Question
Maybe even better than a doctor , it might even be slightly optimistic at times as often the women who don't have successes will drift away after a while (I've certainly seen that with between 8-10 women who were all posting on here a year or two ago and have now stopped TTC ), so it tends on here to be women still trying and women who've had babies who still post the most at the moment .
There is also an outcomes post that some of the Ladies contributed to , obviously women who do conceive after reversal will probably think it was a good choice and women who don't might not Question
I can't claim to be totally unbiased,as i had one problem after another after my Op, but I still post purely because I didn't have much practical and realistic info before my Op and I wanted other women to know things I didn't Smile Which is one of the reasons I started the outcomes post Smile
It's a decision that you can only base on your personal circumstances though Smile
Congratulations to the Ladies who had a good outcome from the reversal , it does give hope to women who are still trying that sometimes it is possible xx
Jess1973
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm 
Post subject:
Garden fairy: I too got sterilised on the advice of my consultant when I was 25. Advised I had already exceeded the recommended amount of C sections. However on my 4th C section whilst being sterilised, I was told by the surgeon delivering my baby and performing my sterilisation, that she knew of many women who had more than 5 C sections without problems. She insisted she used filshie clips as these had the best reversal success rate, incase I changed my mind in the future. I am sooo grateful to her. I always kept her words in mind, so always new a reversal was an option.
Jess1973
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:41 pm 
Post subject:
Lisa, your story is fabulous! Wow. I'm so happy for you, it's hard to believe at the time of being sterilised that circumstances would change to such an extent that we would regret our decision in the future. If only we could forsee. We are lucky and blessed that we have had success. You concieved really quickly! Ha ha, bet the second one was a shock lol. My husband may get the snip after this one. I will be 40 and he will be 44, we are definately only having one! Wow It's good to speak to people who have been on the same journey as I. I really didn't expect it to work. Both my tubes are restored and flowing normally I have been told. Had I been younger, I would definately had another 1 after this one. I have all girls up to now, aged 23, 20, 15 and 14. I will be getting a 3d scan to find out the sex too. Congratulations to you xx
Jess1973
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:00 pm 
Post subject:
Hi DL05: Thanks for your message, I've only been on here for a short time, I hope to be able to read the past posts you mention. I came across this forum by accident. Prior to my reversal I used to browse other forums but did not find many active forums or success stories. I wish I had found this one earlier. Your very right, opinions are based on personal success. I remember wishing I had gone straight for IVF when I still hadn't concieved after a year, yet now I'm glad I went for the reversal. I wish everyone success. I'm sorry your op didn't go well, I know a girl who had a dreadful experience from laparotomy reversal. She has had a baby since though. I had laprascopic reversal. Are your tubes viable with the problems you had? My surgeon left about a litre of fluid in my abdomen after the surgery which apparently prevented ahesions from forming.

Last edited by Jess1973 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
helen36
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Jess

My oldest daughter is 21, I have another daughter at 18, son at 13 and Harrison who is 1. The day I did the pregnancy test with Harrison I had a phone call from my eldest daughter to say she was also pregnant. So we shared our pregnancy highs and lows which was great. She was due Christmas Day and I was due 6th Jan.
But as it happens I was induced as I had pain throughout the pregnancy and Harrison was born Christmas Eve. We came home same day. The following day my daughter calls me to say she's passed what looks like some gross "cat jelly food" (her own words) substance. I tell her it sounds like a show. She comes round to ours to celebrate Christmas Day and collect presents etc. As she's sat on a stand chair she starts to wince a bit so i begin to time them, (in between wincing she still wants another present passing to open lol)they are about 11 mins apart. Long story short my grandson arrives on Christmas Day. I was only just getting used to being a mummy again and she makes me a grandma the day after at 38yrs old.
This time when I told her I was pregnant she was not happy, she said I was stupid for having another baby and "when was I gonna stop".
How have your children been with you when you told them your news?

Helen xx
Jess1973
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:57 pm 
Post subject:
Ha ha, Oh my goodness, can't imagine what that was like, giving birth a day apart!Exciting/worrying. My eldest daughter doesn't seem all that maternal yet. Growing up in a large family has put her off I think. Being the eldest she has always helped when a new baby came along. The girls are thrilled that I am pregnant, they have enjoyed being part of a big family, they see it as another one to join the clang lol. They are all very good pals, the eldest two go out together now, and the younger two spend alot of time together.All in all they are a bit of a girl gang. They all new about the reversal and every month would ask..are you not pregnant with our brother yet?.Talk about pressure ha. They came to the scan and saw the baby jumping around, that's when they bonded with it. I wonder if your daughter now wants you to be a granny instead of mummy? Lol she sounds like a mother with her advice ha.
helen36
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:22 pm 
Post subject:
You can say that again. she wasn't at all supportive through the IVF or reversal. She said I'm too old to be having anymore children and its her turn now. She said some really hurtful things. Well I'm not too old as it goes lol.
When are you having your 3D scan? After 4 girls I bet your hoping for a boy. I don't think I could of coped with 4 girls one after the other, 2 was bad enough ha.
I've just been trying to think of girls names with my 2nd daughter, me and hubby really struggled choosing Harrison's name and only really decided a couple of weeks before he was born.

Helen xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular