ivf or sterilisation reversal? help please, im going mad! x

louise32
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:17 pm 
Post subject: ivf or sterilisation reversal? help please, im going mad! x
hi everyone, im louise aged 32 from shropshire, uk. i have had 4 csections all done by the age of 23! was told to get a tubal ligiation as couldnt have anymore c secs but have now found this to be untrue! am desperate for a baby. i dont feel the same person since my tl. whats best for someone like me who had 4 c secs? i dont know and money is a factor! im scared about a tr as it maynot be possible as i would have soooo much scar tissue. also when i had my last c sec as it was close to my 3rd c sec my bladder was stuck to the womb and it tore so also had a bladder reapair. this is so getting me down, cant stop crying. so regret my tl. thanks everyone xx Sad i was never told what tl i ahd done either, i just remember doc saying hed cut a big gap and nothing will pass through, so regret this. it wasnt my choice was doctors. ive been sterilised nearly 9 yrs now at the same time as my 4th c sec. xx
pimpkin
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:46 am 
Post subject:
Hi Lou,
Dont really know much about the section danger after having 4 ive only had 1 section. With regards sterilisation or reversal its a tough one i had mine reversed 2 weeks ago and chose to go with that over ivf as i felt it was cheaper, we could have had a couple of tries of ivf but money would have run out. Reversal means that in an awful situation if i miscarried i could try again. Its a very personal decision though. Might be worth you going to gp, they can also check up on there data as to how your tubes were done in the first place.
Hope this helps and hope you can stay positive and have another much wanted baby you were way too young for them to take your choice away xxx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:17 am 
Post subject:
Louise, I had a reversal last August after 3 sections, but I was told I had minimal adhesions and being 40 at the time thought reversal was the better option Confused I had my sterilisation done at section and because your tubes are stretched during pregnancy they tend to take a bigger section out, plus one of my tubes ended up stuck to my abdomen whether that was scar tissue from the sterilisation or the section I don't know , but I lost that tube because of it Sad
With hindsite now maybe IVF would have been the better option for me even with my age, but the good news is you're a lot younger than me Very Happy and at 32 if you have good quality eggs you could go for IVF as an egg donor, which means you agree to share any eggs collected with another couple and in return they pay for some or even all your treatment . I know a couple of ladies on here who are doing it and are paying virtually nothing except some small fees that everyone has to pay . It would mean that you wouldn't have enough eggs to freeze if it didn't work first time, but you would have enough time to do another donor cycle anyway, (you can only be a donor before you're 35 ) I've heard CARE clinics are very good if you wanted to do some research , it might be worth getting a copy of your op report too, I was told mine had been cut and tied but found out they had been cut and burned which leaves less tube to repair Confused If the fimbrial end has been removed they can't be repaired and some surgeons won't attempt repair if they were cut close to the uterus , so your op report may help with making a decision about the best way to go Question
If I was in your position and your age I would probably lean towards IVF as an egg donor but only you know if thats right for you, it might be worth asking your GP about getting some day 1-5 bloods done, LH,FSH and Oestrogen and day 21 bloods , progesterone which shows if you ovulate, it needs to be done at least 7 days after you ovulate (day 21 based on a 28 day cycle) so using ovulation predictor sticks would be useful if you go for that as if it's done too early or late you won't get an accurate result, sorry for rambling Embarassed I didn't want to miss anything out Smile Any questions at all the Ladies on getting pregnant after reversal will be only too glad to help, they were a great support to me in the run up to my op and some have since had IVF as well xxx
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:16 am 
Post subject:
Hi Louise....

Ive had both .....i had my reversal done nearly 3yrs ago ....after 6mths id managed to get pregnant but lost the baby ....this lead to me getting a very bad infection and 2mths later had to have my tubes removed ....we had a referal for ivf very quickly as a self pay client it moved very quickly ...i was seen in the feb and started treatment on my next period had embryos transfered in the may ....for us we have been very lucky with ivf it worked 1st time i never had no problems with treatment and found ivf much less stressful than the reversal ....we had our little girl in feb 2010 ...sadly for us she died 2 days later due to a heart defect(picked up on 20 wk scan) ...this had nothing to do with the ivf ...we have since been back to the ivf clinic and had another cycle with our frozen embryos(left over from 1st cycle) again it has worked ...we know our baby is healthy and we are due in just over 9 weeks time ....i can say the money i have spent on the reversal and tests after is about the same as our 2 cycles at ivf ...both worked ...so if i was to give advise id say ivf every time ....your chances are much higher than the stats they give out as you have children and no fertility problems other than your tubes ....whatever you decided dont go on % rates it works or it odesnt ...thats what my consultant told me he could tell you 99% but you could be the 1% ....it whatever you think is better for you ....ivf for some is hard as they find it stressful but i found the reversal much harder ...

best wishes

x x x

Xavier lifes pure joy
faithkate
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:41 am 
Post subject:
hi louise,
I have had four sections also, and had my reversal on 30th Dec 2010. my Gp and consultant advised a reversal over IVF even though I was 41, this is because i have more chance of trying for a baby and the stats were higher for a reversal!!
The consultant said even though I have had four sections, It would be safe to try for another baby and if successful have another section, it depends on you and how you heal and cope with the procedure, everyone is different.
The reversal was fine, a little sore for about two weeks.
I have been ttc for two months now, no luck yet but i am trying to carry on as normal, I just feel 100% better knowing I have been put back together again. The ttc is great fun, strange to think i could get pregnant !!!
This forum is fantastic for advise, I hope you decide soon and feel better, I was so depressed the minute I was steralised, and have been so happy since it was reveversed!!
good luck
JulieWoo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Hi Louise,
I would def go for IVF - you age and history are all in your favour. (Anyway - i know of VBACS after 4 sections!!)

You have a really good chance - and there is always reduced cost IVF where you can egg share. Check out the Care Fertility website. I was with Care, and so was Sharon - they are really good.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
julie x

Our baby Eleanor lost 6 Apr 10
louise32
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:19 pm 
Post subject:
thanks so much ladies for all your replys Very Happy has given me so much more hope, am feeling happier allraedy! Laughing i hope all you ladies who have had your reversal get preggy soon, i wish you all the best of the luck in the world! Very Happy nat hun u are not rambling on at all all your advice is very much appreciated. Smile im so very sorry for your loss and i wish you all the best in 9 weeks time, thats sooooo great that ivf worked for you both times how excellent Very Happy i went to the docs this morning and i asked what he thought ivf or reversal but he couldnt answer for me. he wants me to make up my mind and then go back and he will refer me.well after speaking to you fantastic ladies out there i think my chances are better with the ivf. i would like a reversal as i dont know if any of you know about ptls but think i have alot of symptoms of it. but am scared of the op to be honest. Surprised anyway we will all get our bundles of joy, i know we will. Very Happy thanks ladies all your comments have really cheered me up. Very Happy xxxxxxxx
louise32
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:58 pm 
Post subject:
hello again, only me Smile can u please tell me how much one round of ivf is? also can u please tell me what happens at your first doc appontment? thanks ladies Very Happy xxxx sorry i mean hospital appontment Laughing xxxx
Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:13 pm 
Post subject:
Smile Hey Louise,
Welcome to the forum..
I was 39 when I had my reversal in July 2010.. I chose this route, as I wanted to feel fertile again, and I knew if I did IVF I wouild only be able to try the once! for me I didnt like the clinical feel of IVF.. I got pregnant in August 2010 just 4 weeks after the op, but it was ectopic, so I lost my right tube and beanie.. I had one previous c section..
I started ttc agaion in December.. last month I decided I was gonna take a more relaxed approach and not keep track of things!! Smile hmm so will have to wait and see..
A reversal can cost anything from 2700 to 3900 depending where you go..
1 cycle of IVF costs around 3,000 approx
including the drugs, but there are ways to get it cheaper..such as the egg share already mentioned..

whatever you decide ..its an emotional rollercoaster.. Good luck xx
Angel Baby due 21/6/2012 (m/c)
All 3 much loved and wanted xx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:36 pm 
Post subject:
Louise I believe you can get IVF practically free if you donate eggs, otherwise 3000 upwards is about right and around the same for the reversal . You need to decide which route to go before booking a consultation either with an IVF clinic or a surgeon , they seem to average about 200 .
I suppose which is best for you depends on whether you need to feel "fixed" or you just want the best chance at a baby . I really wanted to feel fixed but ended up with only one tube after the op and in march was told my remaining tube was probably blocked Sad so not feeling very fixed at the moment. I won't lie to you the reversal is an emotional rollercoaster, I've found it very draining the last 8 months and one of the reasons I went for this op over IVF is because I thought IVF would be too stressful Rolling Eyes A lot of us erm "older ladies" Embarassed on the reversal forum were told our chances with IVF were pretty small and felt the reversal represented better value for money as you can try every month, fine in theory if it works and your tubes stay open , but your quite young and your IVF chances would probably be higher like Sharon . At your first consultation it's just lots of questions on both sides really and it helps you decide if you feel comfortable with the person/clinc or surgeon and then you can take things from there xxx
louise32
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:57 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies for your replies, very much appreciated Smile i really do hope you get that bfp soon. im sure u will. i will look into all the info you have gave me. i would like to be fertile again and would like a reversal but am so scared of the op, lol. i dont like being put to sleep as i suffer with anxiety/panic attacks i always think i wont wake up lol. thanks though ladies, your info is great. angel im so sorry for your loss hunni. xxxxx
Angelcake71
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:38 pm 
Post subject:
Smile Thanks Louise..xx Good luck with your journey
Angel Baby due 21/6/2012 (m/c)
All 3 much loved and wanted xx
Godders1971
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

I've put 2 posts on 2 other threads & been ignored!...I'm going through the same dilemma of reversal v IVF....I've read though that if you are over 40 egg donation to get IVF cheaper isn't available!...anybody else had that?

I've really regretted my reversal 6 years ago, I was in a really unhappy marriage which I couldn't see any way of escaping. After having 2 babies in a very short space of time & my ex husband refusing to have a vasectomy, I was petrified of getting pregnant again so I was sterrilised.

I'm now married to a fantastic guy & we want to have our own baby & really want to know which would be the best way forward....help!

Claire Smile
Rachel72
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:50 pm 
Post subject:
Very Happy Hi Claire, sorry you feel you have been ignored, sometimes we are busy hun Wink

So have you had your reversal? as you post reads you regret your reversal 6 yrs ago Smile

I'm Rachel, had my reversal nearly 3yrs ago. It took me 2 1/2 yrs to get pregnant !!!

Have a search around for a private hospital by you that do reversals. Speak to your GP.
I would also look into IVF. Over 36? no egg share.

As to the reversal or IVF ??? that's tricky.........only you can make that choice Wink

Most of us ladies are on the thread ' Getting pregnant after reversal part 8'
Might be worth popping on there. A few ladies are just waiting to have ops done.

Good luck xxx

Godders1971
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya

Sorry no I haven't had the reversal yet. I meant I regret the sterilisation lol! I'm off to see my GP later in the week to discuss our options & see if we can get referred on.

I was 40 in February so the egg donation route looks like a no go.

What puts me off reversal a little is my friend had it done, she paid more because she didn't want to be cut open (she had the lapriscope), she's got pregnant a few times but lost the baby very early on, she also had major problems with her tubes. The last time I saw her they were looking into IVF.

On the plus side of reversal it is more natural once the procedure is done & it's left to mother nature to do her stuff (all being well!). I'm kind of swayed to go that way, all we have to do now is start getting the money together to get it done! Smile SmileSmile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

Community

Popular