hospital bag?

nds
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:20 am 
Post subject: hospital bag?
just a quick question about packing my hospital bag as a first timer, i'm useless!

for labour - did you wear pyjamas or a nightie?

formula - easiest to buy the ready to feed, already in bottles pack, i presume? if so, there is 6 in one pack, so how many would i need?

nappies - how many to pack?

knickers - i can't get disposables small enough to fit me! so are normal, big cotton knickers going to be alright?

maternity towels - how many should i pack?

breast pads - should i pack any? not breastfeeding and read generally don't leak for a few days but should i pack some just in case?

what about cotton wool and nappy sacks? are these provided as standard or do i take my own?

such a newbie! any help much appreciated, thankyou! xx
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:56 am 
Post subject:
Ive not started my bag yet but heres my thoughts :

- for labour - nightie or old t shirt, pjs wont be any good they need down stairs access lol. Im going to get a pair of loose fitting pjs for after.

- Formula wise Im going to buy a cow and gate starter pack that has all the pre made bottles in, it contains 2 days supply :

http://www.boots.com/en/Cow-Gate-1-Starter-Pack-First-Infant-Milk-12-x-90ml_1189297/

- Nappies Im taking a small neworn pack of pampers , if needs be o/h can get more.

- Knickers Im going to get some big size black granny pants from primark.

- Maternity pads Im not overly sure Im going to take in 2 packs though and have more at home, again o/h can bring them in if needed. I have no idea what brand is best to get though :/

- Breast pads yes definately pack, Im not breast feeding either. When I had my son I started leaking in pregnancy (late on) and I definately needed them after giving birth.

- You need to take your own everything basically, Im taking cotton wool with me and sacks. Im going to book a hospital tour so hopefully they will clarify what they supply, but from past experience they really do supply bare minimum ie just blankets and sheets for the cot.

Hope this helps Smile Youre a November mummy like Smile Im not sure when to start buying bits and bobs , think I'll start around 30 weeks. Would be good to hear what maternity pads are good to buy, Ive heard you need a lot I cant quite remember.
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:17 am 
Post subject:
hello claire Very Happy
thanks very much!
we are going to use aptamil, their starter packs only have 6 i thin so best to buy two packs i'm guessing? have also heard to buy and pack plenty of maternity towels! yeah never even thought about being able to send oh to pick more up if needed..

only thinking about it now as, well i've been nothing but organised anyway with baby, but have been signed off for four weeks so might get bored and need something to do in that time haha..

nightie or old tshirts definitely better yeah, thankyou.

i see, things like cotton wool and sacks i've never seen mentioned so thought better to ask! yeah, they seem to provide nothing which i suppose is fair enough! looks like i'll be needing 'a few' hospital bags! thankyou. xx
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 am 
Post subject:
- I wore a strappy nightie for labour and took loose dark coloured pj's for after.
- Breastfed so didn't need to take formula but I asked this question at the antenatal class and was told they'd provide it in the hospital.
- Took 8 newborn nappies in (again advised by antenatal class) but didn't seem to use many of our own.
- Bought some big black cheap knickers from Asda.
- Took one pack of maternity pads, was plenty.
- Took a few breastpads but didn't need them.

Think we were quite lucky that the hospital seemed to provide a lot for us.

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Sounds like you was lucky Heath, around here you get nothing. :/

Yeh nds Id say get 2 boxes of the milk, cow and gate has 12 bottles in, they feed around every 4 hrs so 6 a day.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 pm 
Post subject:
last time I wore normal clothes for most of my labour and then my mw changed me into my nighty just before pushing.
I breastfed so don't know about fomula
I took a full carry size pack of nappies, I think there was about 27. But only used about half as I was only in 24hours.
I took normal cheap nickers from asda.
Again I took a full pack of maternity towels (10) and needed most of them. Nutty I found tescos brand were great last time so plan on using them again, ive bought 3 packs and then ill go onto normal ones as they are really thick.
I didn't take breast pads as I didn't leak for a few days but maybe take a couple just in case.
And I used baby wipes from the start so took 1 pack and took my own nappy sacks too.

I took everything I need as I find it a pain asking for things and some hospitals don't have everything too.

xx

nds
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:15 pm 
Post subject:
that's brill thankyou, i wanted to use wipes from the start but read babys skin would be too sensitive and to use
cotton wool for first six weeks? so thought i'll give that a go but may take a small pack of wipes in case i change my mind? yeah, i don't want to be the one to ask for things! xxxx
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:14 pm 
Post subject:
Im going to use cotton wool for the 1st month I think and then use a sensitive skin baby wipe after that. I think I may take some wipes in though for their first poo because its really sticky and messy.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:31 pm 
Post subject:
It isn't good for babies skin to use wires straight off, plus think of this lovely natural little bottom and smearing freezing cold chemicals over it, Yuck! It isn't hard to run a bit of warm water and use cotton wool.

That aside bare in mind you will never be that far from a shop. Take loads of cotton pants, maternity towels, nappies and maybe two pairs of pajamas for you in case leaks you will prob feel gross even after a shower. For you, take shampoo, hair brush,toothbrush and paste. Plus snacks. For baby a few outfits hats and warm outfit for going home. Also its worth taking a water bottle (sports one) to spray while you wee if there isn't a bidet.

You'll get painkillers in hospital but do make sure you have plenty at home

nds
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:39 pm 
Post subject:
v true. will see how it goes, sure oh won't mind bringin or buying more things for us if need be.. eek sounds horrible the more i read about it lol Sad

congrats on the pregnancy by the way! xxx
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:40 pm 
Post subject:
i have just noticed there is a sticky literally just above this topic.. apologies!
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:39 pm 
Post subject:
haha ^ I do find it takes forever to scroll through some of the stickies though. Don't be worried about it, the worst that could happen is you need your hubby to get another pair of knickers for you from home or some more nappies from tesco...no biggie!!! (And most people are only in 24-48 hours).

I would say on the knicker/pad front that more is definitely better...I ended up using the knickers as disposable because (and nobody tells you THIS either) lochia has a kind of...funny...smell and I just wanted to throw any used underwear away so sealed them in nappy bags and binned them. I went through probably 30 pairs (thanks primark!!!). I also found tesco maternity pads were excellent and after a few days their thin maternity pads with wings were great.

A wee warning - I know I've posted this here before but I think it's worth knowing. This is a story from a close friend of mine who I really trust so...it's up to you to make what you will of it: She didn't like the bulkyness and expense of maternity pads so started using always or similar after a few days. They worked ok but her stitches split (serious episiotomy) and she ended up with an awful infection which took almost 2 months to heal. NOW, gross you say, hell yeah nobody wants that, but her midwives asked her what type of pads she wore - well she said she had moved onto sanitary towels. Herein lies the problem: Sanitary towels are designed to draw blood away, rather than just absorb like a maternity pad. This had dried out her wound too much, and caused the stitches to be 'drawn' out slightly too - and so had caused all of her trouble.

I know it sounds like an urban myth, but I saw her walking a few weeks after her first baba and tbh, i'd just stick with the slightly bulkier pads until I was done bleeding (tbh i found it sort of nice to have a wee cushion!).

Sorry that was a monster post!!!!!! Very Happy

mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:40 pm 
Post subject:
(and yeah it is a little bit horrible, but it's a very short time of being gross - you will barely remember it after a few weeks as your hormones etc will be so mad you just get on with it x)

nds
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:45 pm 
Post subject:
oh dear Sad
as much as i hate towels, i guess i won't be going anywhere for a while anyway so will find a way to cope i'm sure! good Smile i will have a beautiful baby at the end of it so will all be worth it! thanks, xx
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:50 pm 
Post subject:
of course it will Smile and tbh if you're anything like me you will be in denial about even having a vagina for a good few weeks after birth Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular