Went for referal yesterday

claireclaire21
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:10 pm 
Post subject: Went for referal yesterday
Ok the day finally came yesterday of my referal to the gynaecologist.

She went through our history and looked through our test results and basically said the next step was to have a HSG and a scan, then we would see her again.

She explained that it could go two ways - HSG could show blocked tubes - which she also said they can do nothing about so would advise IVF or they would be clear and it would just be inexplained infertility which again she would advise IVF.

Then she did proceed to explain how we wouldnt get IVF on the NHS as hubby has a daughter from his previous marraige. But apparently I have age on my side - (which is all I have heard for the last 4 years of trying)

I think I kind of knew all of the above, but it was still a kick in the groin being told so!

I'm not too sure where we will go from here - I suppose I will get the HSG done then go on from there!

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:28 pm 
Post subject:
Claire the HSG shouldn't necessarily be the last step on the NHS if your tubes are blocked, depending on where and why they are blocked, there are options which should be discussed if you have slow flow it could be from adhesions or a kink or twist in the tube which can usually be put right with a laproposcopy and if there's no flow right at the uterus then that's often either a spasm and not really a blockage at all or sometimes it's a mucus plug or some other debris that's built up, as the tube is very small there its a fairly common problem and can be treated with tubal cannulation, the NICE guidelines state it should be offered to women who either aren't good candidates for IVF or whom aren't eligible for NHS IVF .
Just thought you should know as I got this initial fob off when I went for a HSG and it showed no fill and spill Rolling Eyes but I did some digging and discovered that there are other options which should be discussed and after a bit of pushing I had a laproscopy and was finally offered a cannulation as well .
I think if you're not eligible for NHS IVF they're all to quick sometimes to say IVF is the only option as it means they can sign you off and you're no longer their 'problem'.
If the HSG shows your tubes are open there are still things they can try, I don't know if you've been offered clomid or anything similar but basically you should get the same treatment any other woman would as far as treatments and investigations right up to but not including IVF
( I think that it's not right you shouldn't be offered that as well as after all you shouldn't be punished because your partner had a child before you even met him but that's a whole other debate about the NHS Rolling Eyes )
Fingers crossed all goes well with the HSG and scan xx
KazM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:22 pm 
Post subject:
Good luck Claire. x
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:07 am 
Post subject:
Hiya, I think I must be a few weeks ahead of you in the process, had my referral appt a few weeks ago and was told exactly the same thing as we already have a child. Have just had my HSG on Monday and it showed no problems with tubes so all the fretting and worrying about what the NHS would do IF there was a problem was needless - id get the HSG out of the way first and then think about next steps if I were you x good luck x
claireclaire21
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:48 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the advise DL05

MrsZargon: did you get any advise as they were clear.

Thank you all for your responses, I have calmed down a little now. Will just wait until i get to do the HSG then go from there!!

MrsZargon
Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 pm 
Post subject:
If you mean advice as in what we should do next then no, although both the cons I saw at the referral appt and the dr who did the procedure were of the opinion that I shouldn't rush into ivf straight away but maybe give it a bit more time and see if I fall pg naturally. Not an easy decision as my DD is 3 already and we didn't really want a huge age gap, but at the same time the cost and emotion involved in ivf is huge so not a decision to be taken lightly. DH and I have decided we'll give it a few more months and maybe look into some alternative medicine - TCM, acupuncture that sort of thing and then reassess in the new year and decide if we want to go for ivf if no luck getting that bfp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular