Advice needed please

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:15 am 
Post subject: Advice needed please
Hiya,
My little one is nearly 18 months and I thought we would try a spot of potty/toilet training before winter gets here and we struggle to get clothes dried!
We have had days in the house bare bottom and he can do potty so I have some time off work coming up and can focus on the potty training...I have so many questions can any one help please?
-can you mix up potty and toilet training? so offer both or will that confuse him?
-is it ok to also offer weeing on the grass? we have a big garden and spend a lot of time outside, is it ok to let him wee out there or is that saying its ok to wee anywhere?
-If we are outside and he needs to wee, can little boys just stand up and wee out so it wont go down his legs or do I need to hold him in some way? (at the park last week he pooped on the way there - upset tummy! I changed him to find I didn't pack nappies so he was commando, he was dry the whole time at park and I pulled his trousers down and suggested he did a wee before we set off home but I was not sure if I should pick him up?)he was dry all the way home too Smile
- I know lots of mums with 3, almost 4 year olds who have nappies on in bed at night so I guess we will continue this for a long time but do you put a nappy on for a nap?
- How long do you think a tot should be able to go without weeing? when we tried when he was about 15 months he needed a wee like every 20 mins, am I right in thinking he will be able to wait longer and longer as he gets older? is there any guidelines on this?
-what about going out? public toilets are often awful! do people carry some kind of mini toilet seat? do you just put child on the seat and hold them so they don't fall in?
-for home I was looking at the 3 in 1 seats that has both child and adult seat, has anyone used these? are they any good?
-is there any way to sit child on potty (or seat) and guarantee tinky down every time? I have been caught out with this a few times!
-any other tips? we have ordered pirate pete potty book and have 1 other potty book
tips please?
Thanks
StaceyRD
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya,
Can't answer all your Q's but a few: My 3yr old has been daytime trained since last July and is still in nappies overnight and still wakes a bit wet so not attempting yet, sure I read somewhere once it's normally a year after day time training they can be ready for night time (though obviously this is different for all). I would definitely say yes to nappies or pull ups for naps/bed for a while longer until daytime is established.
We had a 3 in 1 potty which was great for my daughter but my son could never sit on it right - different thighs! I never used it as a toilet seat though, I bought one from Wilkos for a pound odd but Isabelle used the potty and toilet with no confusion, she was a year older than your LO one though.
I bought a foldable toilet seat to take out and about, was about £5 from Boots and really handy to have in my bag/under the pushchair. Also have a travel potty which is really great and obviously good for when they need to go asap!
George is 20 months and we won't be attempting to potty train anytime soon without him wanting to, he's great with no nappy on and loves being free but at the moment also loves watching himself wee on the floor! Whole different ball game with boys so I have noooo idea about standing Laughing

StaceyRD
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:33 pm 
Post subject:
Thinking of it, when George wees on the floor/in the bath he never gets wet legs... problem would be the aim!
As I said he could never sit on the 3 in 1 potty without hanging over the front but I bought him a throne type potty from ebay for about £6 and it's perfect Smile

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
Im in the same boat as you but with my daughter. She wont actually go but is definitely showing signs. Anyway what i meant to say is that a few friends of mine have put a cherio in the toilet bowl for them to aim at haha! xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular